© Georgette Blanchard 2004, alias Docteur PC
514-487-3062
[email protected]
Collapse

sviaggio
sviaggio  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
A wonderfully wise poem! Jan 25, 2005

My only suggestion to the translator (but I am not a natvie speaker of English, so maybe my suggestion is off the mark!) would be:

"must" which stands out as neatly as "il faut" in the original, whereas "you have" is isolated from its semantic 'tail'("it". The the reader, therefore, does not know how to interpret it before proceedign to the next line. This suspension of comprhension (or, worse, wrong anticipation) conspires against the effect of the English poem, I think.

... See more
My only suggestion to the translator (but I am not a natvie speaker of English, so maybe my suggestion is off the mark!) would be:

"must" which stands out as neatly as "il faut" in the original, whereas "you have" is isolated from its semantic 'tail'("it". The the reader, therefore, does not know how to interpret it before proceedign to the next line. This suspension of comprhension (or, worse, wrong anticipation) conspires against the effect of the English poem, I think.

sergio
Collapse

sviaggio
sviaggio  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
On second thought Jan 25, 2005

I think that the original means to admonish to have the words lie, but not the poet (in other words, the translator must lie with his words in order to let the poet tell his truth). The translation speaks of “cheating the poet”, which, to my mind, is not what the original poet/translator meant. If, as it seems, both the French and the English versions are by the same poet, in this particular respect, she has written to different poems, in that she has the French poet say one thing and the En... See more
I think that the original means to admonish to have the words lie, but not the poet (in other words, the translator must lie with his words in order to let the poet tell his truth). The translation speaks of “cheating the poet”, which, to my mind, is not what the original poet/translator meant. If, as it seems, both the French and the English versions are by the same poet, in this particular respect, she has written to different poems, in that she has the French poet say one thing and the English quite another one. Since this is no explained by the structural differences between these languages, I suppose that by the time she went about re-writing her poem in English, the translator had changed her mind – which happens quite often when authors self-translate: they do not need to remain faithful to their former selves, but to themselves. Period.

My Spanish translation (written as the fingers tap) would be:

Para traducir poesía, hay que mentir

Para traducir poesía
Es preciso
Traducir el ritmo
Y las ideas
No las palabras.

Para traducir poesía
Es preciso
Traducir los sabores
Y no los ingredientes
Conservando íntegro el fervor.

Para traducir poesía
Es preciso
Pensar como poeta
Dejar que hable al corazón
Seguir la melodía
Y el fluir
Del pensamiento

Para traducir poesía
Es preciso
Hacer mentir a las palabras
Y no al poeta

Observations:

I think that writing "hay que" in the title and "es preciso" in the poem itself does not do violence to its internal coherence. Rather, it strenghens it. "Es preciso" did not sound right in the title, whilst "hay que" didn't quite fit in the poem/ The title is therefore more colloquial, which, I submit, gives "es preciso" a greater effect.

I think it is better to say "y las ideas" (as terse as the original) rather than "el pensamiento" (which will force me to change "idées" when it comes later on in the French.

I also think it is more effective to say "poesía" (in the singular) and reserve "poema" for the last strophe, where it really fits.

I also liked better "íntegro" than "todo".

All these changes are due to the differnces between French and Spanish. But the following might also improve the original:

I have tried to have one copulative per strophe (and used to different ones when forced to in the last one).

sergio
Collapse

bozhana
bozhana  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:29
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
A beutiful poem! Jan 26, 2005

[quote]sviaggio wrote:

I think that the original means to admonish to have the words lie, but not the poet (in other words, the translator must lie with his words in order to let the poet tell his truth). The translation speaks of “cheating the poet”, which, to my mind, is not what the original poet/translator meant.

bozhana
bozhana  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:29
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
A beautiful poem! Jan 26, 2005

I don't quite agree with Sergio that the message is not the same. May be "lie to the words
but not cheat the poet or not to the poet" would be better.As far as I get it you can change the words and but not the message, the feeling and so on. That's why translating poetry is extremely difficult. I think that there is something wrong with the rythme of the part with the "flavors". Anyway, I love it!
Bozhana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

To translate a poem, you have to lie - Pour traduire un poème, il faut mentir

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »