J. M. Coetzee: 'Stranger Shores: Literary Essays 1986-1999'
Thread poster: Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 09:37
German to English
+ ...
Nov 16, 2001

In the above anthology, the author J. M. Coetzee writes that "translating turns out to be only a more intense and more demanding form of what we do whenever we read." (I should also mention that he primarily refers to "the art of translation from German to English")

What do you make of this piece of "translation theory"? Personally, I think it is not wrong, but it is onl
... See more
In the above anthology, the author J. M. Coetzee writes that "translating turns out to be only a more intense and more demanding form of what we do whenever we read." (I should also mention that he primarily refers to "the art of translation from German to English")

What do you make of this piece of "translation theory"? Personally, I think it is not wrong, but it is only the "tip of the iceberg". Let me know what you think.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-16 19:55 ]
Collapse

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 19:07
English to Hindi
+ ...
Good point Nov 18, 2001

Werner, thanks for quoting Coetzee and for sharing the information. The statement can hold true for other languages as well.

Regards.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-18 04:13 ]

DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 18, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-11-16 19:50, G2E wrote:

In the above anthology, the author J. M. Coetzee writes that \"translating turns out to be only a more intense and more demanding form of what we do whenever we read.\" (I should also mention that he primarily refers to \"the art of translation from German to English\")

What do you make of this piece of \"translation theory\"? Personally, I think it is not wr... See more
Quote:

On 2001-11-16 19:50, G2E wrote:

In the above anthology, the author J. M. Coetzee writes that \"translating turns out to be only a more intense and more demanding form of what we do whenever we read.\" (I should also mention that he primarily refers to \"the art of translation from German to English\")

What do you make of this piece of \"translation theory\"? Personally, I think it is not wrong, but it is only the \"tip of the iceberg\". Let me know what you think.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-16 19:55 ]

As usual, Werner, a very provocative point!

Let alone the demands (mostly deadlines) placed upon a translator...how even more demanding are considerations of faithfulness to the original text and the intent (so far as can be discerned) of the author.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-18 11:30 ]Collapse

AndrewBM
AndrewBM
Ireland
Local time: 13:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 24, 2001

I never read Coetzee to my shame, though I must tell you, no matter how brilliant his assertion may be, I think it would be simplistic to reason with no particular translator in mind. Let\'s say: Translator is always a keen reader (could I be wrong?). My own reading \"when I translate\" as opposed to \"when I don\'t translate\" are not different only because one is less or \"more intense and demanding\" than the other (anyway, tell me which one is more intense and when?), but because they are j... See more
I never read Coetzee to my shame, though I must tell you, no matter how brilliant his assertion may be, I think it would be simplistic to reason with no particular translator in mind. Let\'s say: Translator is always a keen reader (could I be wrong?). My own reading \"when I translate\" as opposed to \"when I don\'t translate\" are not different only because one is less or \"more intense and demanding\" than the other (anyway, tell me which one is more intense and when?), but because they are just not the same. As in using the languages in conversation vs. oral translation: the two are just different.
[addsig]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

J. M. Coetzee: 'Stranger Shores: Literary Essays 1986-1999'

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »