Wordfast: Tips on using it to translate poetry (without punctuation to segment on)
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 05:21
Spanish
+ ...
Oct 24, 2002

Hello everybody,

I\'m translating a piece of poetry using Wordfast -because of the segmentation thing. However, since there is no punctuation at the end of each verse, I\'m having a hard time with the segmentation process. Has anyone got any advice for me for the setup?

Thank you

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:21
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Are you sure you need a CAT tool for poetry? Oct 24, 2002

CAT tools are extremely useful when the text is long and repetitive, and consistent terminology is important.

There are very few points in translating poetry (or prose) where these advantages of Wordfast (or any other CAT tool) can be utilized. Moreover, CAT tools will encourage you to respect certain delimeters - ends of sentences, etc - which should be treated much more liberally when translating literature than when translating technical stuff.

Often you will have to inv
... See more
CAT tools are extremely useful when the text is long and repetitive, and consistent terminology is important.

There are very few points in translating poetry (or prose) where these advantages of Wordfast (or any other CAT tool) can be utilized. Moreover, CAT tools will encourage you to respect certain delimeters - ends of sentences, etc - which should be treated much more liberally when translating literature than when translating technical stuff.

Often you will have to invent an image far enough from the original one. You will have to re-create rhymes, rhythm, etc. Where else could the databaes built this way be used?

Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:21
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Segmenting in Wordfast Oct 24, 2002

Segmenting in Wordfast is good for you eyes. Adjust the zoom factor for comfort. You don\'t even have to have a TM active. Wordfast can link to several glossaries and dictionaries and you can use Word\'s spellchecher.

Go to Wordfast/Setup/Segs/End of Segment Punctuation and Select Paragraph or Sentence as ESP. One of those settings will solve your problem.

For translating poetry I suggest you go to Wordfast/Setup/P.B. and enable TransparentSegment in Pan
... See more
Segmenting in Wordfast is good for you eyes. Adjust the zoom factor for comfort. You don\'t even have to have a TM active. Wordfast can link to several glossaries and dictionaries and you can use Word\'s spellchecher.

Go to Wordfast/Setup/Segs/End of Segment Punctuation and Select Paragraph or Sentence as ESP. One of those settings will solve your problem.

For translating poetry I suggest you go to Wordfast/Setup/P.B. and enable TransparentSegment in Pandora\'s Box to remove the coloured backgrounds from the segments. You can toggle all hidden text with Ctrl+, to see the clean result while translating.

Regards,

Gerard
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast: Tips on using it to translate poetry (without punctuation to segment on)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »