Aisha Maniar  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:45
Member (2003)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Nov 16, 2007

Article in the (UK) Guardian newspaper today:
http://books.guardian.co.uk/departments/generalfiction/story/0,,2212304,00.html

about literary translation. Interesting food for thought for the weekend, although I personally feel the issue is far bigger and complex that can be grasped through a newspaper article (beyond just the English-language literary level)...although, at least they notice that translators do actually exist

A good weekend to all, Aisha

Direct link Reply with quote

Richard Robinson  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:45
Hungarian to English
+ ...
hear hear! Nov 16, 2007

Aisha Maniar wrote:

I personally feel the issue is far bigger and complex that can be grasped through a newspaper article (beyond just the English-language literary level)...

Thanks for this post Aisha. What a relief to know it's not just my personal impression (as a reader, rather than translator, of literature) that there are few translations available.

But it is after all a newspaper article, not an academic survey, so it's bound to simplify things. And a journalist is somewhat at the mercy of what he can get his interviewees to say.

I don't quite understand what you mean when you say "..(beyond just the English-language literary level)..." Could you explain?

Thanks again!

Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 05:45
Dutch to Turkish
+ ...
Thanks for sharing Nov 27, 2007

Thanks for sharing

It is very informative about the translation industry and where it is at the present time.

Regards,

Nizam

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Value of Literary Translation into English

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search