Brahms text issues: German to English
Thread poster: Sonya Gerisch
Sonya Gerisch
Sonya Gerisch  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:18
German to English
Mar 12, 2008

Hello,
I am a German to English translator, but I normally deal with legal and technical text. I also sing in a choir that is performing Ein Deutsches Requiem by Brahms. The conductor has asked me about a couple of issues with the text, but it involves old German text as it was composed in 1861, so I am hoping a literary translator may be able to help. The issues are:

1) Movement II: the phrase "Siehe, ein Ackermann wartet auf die koestliche Frucht der Erde und ist geduldig d
... See more
Hello,
I am a German to English translator, but I normally deal with legal and technical text. I also sing in a choir that is performing Ein Deutsches Requiem by Brahms. The conductor has asked me about a couple of issues with the text, but it involves old German text as it was composed in 1861, so I am hoping a literary translator may be able to help. The issues are:

1) Movement II: the phrase "Siehe, ein Ackermann wartet auf die koestliche Frucht der Erde und ist geduldig darueber, bis er empfahe den Morgenregen und Abendregen." The particular word in question is "empfahe." I am guessing this is some old form of "empfangen"? From what I have found it might have something to do with Luther's translation of the bible.

2) Movement VI: "Denn wir haben hie keine bleibende Statt" The word in question is "hie." I can only find it with "hie und da" in my dictionaries, but I guess the meaning of "hier" still applies. Would it still be pronounced as written (Hie)?

I would appreciate any light someone could shed on this issue.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 06:18
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Bible texts Mar 12, 2008

Here is the source:
http://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Ein_deutsches_Requiem
Empfahe = empfange
hie = hier pronounced hee

Regards
Heinrich

Jim Tucker (X)
Jim Tucker (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Hungarian to English
+ ...
nothing to add Mar 12, 2008

...to what Heinrich said, except to mention that "fahen" (fieh, gefahen) also existed by itself, and is the root of its surviving relative "fähig."

[Edited at 2008-03-12 16:29]

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:18
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Translation over here Mar 12, 2008

Also check out:

http://music.loyno.edu/montage/montage02-03/02-03pdfs/brahmsrequiem11.25.02.pdf

Regards,
Gerard

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:18
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Pronounciation Mar 12, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

hie = hier pronounced hee

Are you sure about the pronounciation? I think it would rather have too syllables (ok, one and a half) and sound something like ˈhiə (sorry, I'm not too familiar with the phonetic alphabet). But then again, I'm not sure either. I remember singing and hearing it this way in baroque choir music.

[Bearbeitet am 2008-03-12 20:05]

Sonya Gerisch
Sonya Gerisch  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:18
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the responses Mar 13, 2008

Thank you to everyone who responded. I had already consulted the Wikipedia reference, but the comments and other input were very helpful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Brahms text issues: German to English

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »