How to translate strings in .tst / .ttx files (motor tester program)?
Thread poster: Yuri Lysenko
Yuri Lysenko
Yuri Lysenko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 01:24
Member (2009)
German to Ukrainian
+ ...
Nov 24, 2009

My client wants to have Russian interface for his motor-testers (VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat).
He gave me a CD with English interface version. All strings there are in .tst / .ttx file pairs. I tried to open them with TagEditor, but the following error appears: (40007) Error reading TTX file header: Invalid document structure.
I suspect, there are other ways to deal with these files.
Can someone explain me how to handle these files?

Maxim Manzhosin
Maxim Manzhosin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:24
English to Russian
Post your ttx header here Nov 24, 2009

Yuri, open your ttx file in Notepad. The header should look similar to the following:

< ?xml version='1.0'? >
< TRADOStag Version="2.0" >< FrontMatter >< ToolSettings CreationDate="20091115T011002Z" CreationTool="SDL TRADOS TagEditor" CreationToolVersion="8.2.0.835" / > < UserSettings DataType="XML" O-Encoding="UTF-8" SettingsName="test" SettingsPath="K:\test\test.ini" SourceLanguage="EN-US" TargetLanguage="RU-RU" TargetDefaultFont="Arial" SourceDocumentPath="K:\test\test.xml"
... See more
Yuri, open your ttx file in Notepad. The header should look similar to the following:

< ?xml version='1.0'? >
< TRADOStag Version="2.0" >< FrontMatter >< ToolSettings CreationDate="20091115T011002Z" CreationTool="SDL TRADOS TagEditor" CreationToolVersion="8.2.0.835" / > < UserSettings DataType="XML" O-Encoding="UTF-8" SettingsName="test" SettingsPath="K:\test\test.ini" SourceLanguage="EN-US" TargetLanguage="RU-RU" TargetDefaultFont="Arial" SourceDocumentPath="K:\test\test.xml" SettingsRelativePath="..\test.ini" PlugInInfo="" />

If your file doesn't conform to the XML standard, TagEditor may refuse to open it.

[Edited at 2009-11-24 11:40 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-11-24 11:40 GMT]
Collapse

Yuri Lysenko
Yuri Lysenko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 01:24
Member (2009)
German to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to translate strings in .tst / .ttx files (motor tester program)? Nov 24, 2009

Maxim, thank you!
I did so, but I've got totally plain text (tags and translatable sentences) – no TM application would be able to define what to translate/leave unchanged:

TXLABEL1:
"F1 - Oil pressure switch"
TXLABEL2:
""
TXLABEL3:
"Auxiliary tool"
TXMELD4:

@vw_ende\L\S\K\N "

There are over 20 000 such files, so I definitely will not be able to process them manually within any reasonable period of time. The probl
... See more
Maxim, thank you!
I did so, but I've got totally plain text (tags and translatable sentences) – no TM application would be able to define what to translate/leave unchanged:

TXLABEL1:
"F1 - Oil pressure switch"
TXLABEL2:
""
TXLABEL3:
"Auxiliary tool"
TXMELD4:

@vw_ende\L\S\K\N "

There are over 20 000 such files, so I definitely will not be able to process them manually within any reasonable period of time. The problem is that my client will pay only for text, not for tags which I can not separate from the text in order to quote this job.

And what about ".tst" file? Such parallel files come with each .ttx file (with the same names). Do you know what its function is?
Collapse

Maxim Manzhosin
Maxim Manzhosin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:24
English to Russian
This is not a TagEdtor XML Nov 24, 2009

You may need to a create a regular expression to define translatable content. Take a look at the Trados way do this or try to use PrepTags.

> And what about .tst file?

Look at the header (or post it here) and check if it is an XML file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate strings in .tst / .ttx files (motor tester program)?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »