https://www.proz.com/forum/localization/17066-integrating_microsoft_glossary_into_trados_or_dvx.html

Integrating Microsoft Glossary into Trados or DVX
Thread poster: Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:01
German to Spanish
Jan 3, 2004

How can I use the csv Files from the Microsoft Glossaries in Trados (as TM or as Multiterm) or in Deja Vu?
Thks!

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
MS-glossaries conversion Jan 3, 2004

Toledo wrote:

How can I use the csv Files from the Microsoft Glossaries in Trados (as TM or as Multiterm) or in Deja Vu?
Thks!
Hi! There is a small tool called CSV2TXT, with this you can convert CSV format to regular ascii, from here you are free to integrate into any TMX. There are a few thousand such tools.

Hope this helps
Brandis

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
So easy? Jan 3, 2004

You think I only need to create a Txt file (can I do with Excel too), but where are the segments delimiters that Trados create with each segment? you mean I can simply import the text file into a new TM?
well I'll try it.
Thks

Toledo wrote:

Thks!
Hi! There is a small tool called CSV2TXT, with this you can convert CSV format to regular ascii, from here you are free to integrate into any TMX. There are a few thousand such tools.

Hope this helps
Brandis

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
further examples Jan 3, 2004

Toledo wrote:

You think I only need to create a Txt file (can I do with Excel too), but where are the segments delimiters that Trados create with each segment? you mean I can simply import the text file into a new TM?
well I'll try it.
Thks

Toledo wrote:

Thks!

Hope this helps
Brandis
Hi! You process these files just as though you are processing any file that needs to be translated. Even in any of these CAT tools the original file generally is internally converted into some ascii ( since it is universal ) then into .rtf for the purpose of further processing. So when you sit on the computer you normally have a text in .rtf file which can be further processed. The rest is more or less a format which is typical and differs from CAT to CAT. Atleast it is functioning in my situation. There is a wonderful Forum at the yahoogroups, where you would find a wide variety of continued issues. I hope this could also help.
Regards,
Brandis

[Edited at 2004-01-03 21:14]

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:01
English to German
+ ...
Not with Excel Jan 3, 2004

Excel cannot take enough records to process the MS glossaries.
I used Access for pre-processing - the filter functionality is useful to select and delete the garbage (~50%).
Then I used Perl to create a MultiTerm import file. Now the import files can also be created without any programming by using Déjà Vu X. A TM can be created in the same way.

BTW, it's a bit tricky:
Access Text fields can take only 255 characters, so some entries will be cut off.
Memo
... See more
I used Access for pre-processing - the filter functionality is useful to select and delete the garbage (~50%).
Then I used Perl to create a MultiTerm import file. Now the import files can also be created without any programming by using Déjà Vu X. A TM can be created in the same way.

BTW, it's a bit tricky:
Access Text fields can take only 255 characters, so some entries will be cut off.
Memo fields can take much more, but they cannot be filtered or sorted.
So you'd have to import the colums twice: one as Text and one as Memo, then filter and sort the records using the Text fields and finally export the Memo fields of the remaining records..

[Edited at 2004-01-03 23:27]
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Congratulations and thanks Jan 3, 2004

Harry_B wrote:

Hi! I congratulate you on your success, where I was achieving same effect using CSV2TXT tool.And thank you for an alternative solution. I use these conversions as read-only or only as look-up files for cross correction. Once in a while I do a periodical update.Anyway, alle Wege führen nach Rom.
Brandis

[Edited at 2004-01-03 23:05]

Victor Sidelnikov
Victor Sidelnikov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:01
English to Russian
+ ...
Special program for conversion Jan 4, 2004

Toledo wrote:

Thks!

I wrote a simple utilite for this purpose (convertion from csv to tmw and mtw files of Trados)and for this object (Microsoft glossaries at the first place). I can send you this prigramm but for running of this programm needs Visual Basic on computer.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
your tool Jan 4, 2004

Victor Sidelnikov wrote:

Toledo wrote:

Thks!

I wrote a simple utilite for this purpose (convertion from csv to tmw and mtw files of Trados)and for this object (Microsoft glossaries at the first place). I can send you this prigramm but for running of this programm needs Visual Basic on computer.
Hi! I work also with Visual Basic, and Dot Net Frame work. Then please send your development to mailid - [email protected]

would interest me. Thank you in advance. brandis

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
thanks Jan 5, 2004

Victor Sidelnikov wrote:

Toledo wrote:

Thks!

Hi! I shall get back after checking your tool, well thanks in advance. I have just now downloaded it, and got to get to working on a large document. Wish me success. brandis

CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Local time: 05:01
Japanese to English
+ ...
I'm interested in that utility, too Jan 30, 2004

I would be interested in your conversion utility, too. If you wouldn't mind, please send a copy to: [email protected]

Thank you

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
hope you have received the tool Jan 30, 2004

hopson wrote:

I would be interested in your conversion utility, too. If you wouldn't mind, please send a copy to: [email protected]

Thank you
Hi! I have just sent one tools for such conversion. That should help your conversion trouble.

Best of luck
brandis

Ashok Bagri
Ashok Bagri  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:31
English to Hindi
+ ...
Utility for csv files conversion inTrados Jan 30, 2004

Victor Sidelnikov wrote:

Toledo wrote:

Thks!

Ashok Bagri
Ashok Bagri  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:31
English to Hindi
+ ...
Utility for csv files conversion inTrados Jan 30, 2004

[quote]Victor Sidelnikov wrote:

Toledo wrote:

Dear Victor,

Can you pl. send a copy of the utility (with instructions for use) to my email id:

[email protected] . This would be a great help.

Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
glossaries in MultiTerm Feb 1, 2004

Harry_B wrote:

Once I did the work to open the csv files in Excel, delete some columns and write headers to create MultiTerm import files, with the conversion tool or T-Window,
just the big files like Windows are too big for Excel, the others are OK,
for the big ones I opened them as txt and cut the half of it, this is maybe not the best way,
so I imported all the glossaries in a MultiTerm database, in my case English German, and afterwards I did the same with French - English, and you can import them with the option "synchronize on index field" so you can have at the end a more or less trilingual glossary.

but there must be better ways, there is also something on the market to browse the glossaries www.msgbrowser.com
with an evaluation version

cheers

Noe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Integrating Microsoft Glossary into Trados or DVX

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »