CAT support for translating an eZ Publish website?
Thread poster: Arnd Rothe
Arnd Rothe
Arnd Rothe
France
Local time: 06:10
English to German
+ ...
Mar 29, 2011

A client is managing his webpages with the content management system eZ Publish. The original pages are created by typing text into specifically configured masks. Now the pages are to be translated. I was wondering if someone had experience with eZ Publish, especially if there is some kind of export-import functionality so that a CAT tool could be used for the translation and the tedious editing in masks could be avoided. Thanks in advance. Arnd

lydiar
lydiar  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 16:10
French to English
interesting Apr 8, 2011

This is kind of (tenuously) related to my interest in the Worpress translation 'tool' ICanLocalize.

As more people use WordPress and Ez Publish to create and manage content on their sites, I can see an increase demand for tools of this sort.

I have emailed an Ez Publish devloper to ask about export or direct translation of content and will let you know what I get back.

Maybe we should make our own tool that works exactly how we want/need...
See more
This is kind of (tenuously) related to my interest in the Worpress translation 'tool' ICanLocalize.

As more people use WordPress and Ez Publish to create and manage content on their sites, I can see an increase demand for tools of this sort.

I have emailed an Ez Publish devloper to ask about export or direct translation of content and will let you know what I get back.

Maybe we should make our own tool that works exactly how we want/need
Collapse

lydiar
lydiar  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 16:10
French to English
Xrow Apr 8, 2011

It's not cheap - but this would do the job...

http://www.xrow.com/Loesungen/Translation-Manager

I pestered someone from the EZ Publish community and they were most helpful and pointed me to this company.

It would be interesting to know if there are any other tools out there.

These guy
... See more
It's not cheap - but this would do the job...

http://www.xrow.com/Loesungen/Translation-Manager

I pestered someone from the EZ Publish community and they were most helpful and pointed me to this company.

It would be interesting to know if there are any other tools out there.

These guys seem to be trying to build one - (I think!) http://share.ez.no/projects/ez-translation-tools#members
Collapse

Marco Cevoli
Marco Cevoli  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Quick and dirty solution Apr 8, 2011

Hi,

since ez Publish supports import and export through ODF (see http://doc.ez.no/Extensions/eZ-Publish-extensions/ODF-Import-Export) you could just export/import the texts to translate (if they're just a bunch).

Another option is to work directly on the underlying DB, exporting XML from the MySQL.

Just a couple of options. The s
... See more
Hi,

since ez Publish supports import and export through ODF (see http://doc.ez.no/Extensions/eZ-Publish-extensions/ODF-Import-Export) you could just export/import the texts to translate (if they're just a bunch).

Another option is to work directly on the underlying DB, exporting XML from the MySQL.

Just a couple of options. The second would require a savvy IT guy...

Kind regards

Marco Cevoli
www.qabiria.com
Collapse

Arnd Rothe
Arnd Rothe
France
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
translation plug-in for eZ Publish Apr 11, 2011

Hello Lydiar and Marco, thanks for your ideas. In fact, I am looking for a solution that is "almost no extra work and cost" for the web agency. Otherwise they will prefer that the translators just do the copying and pasting into the eZP masks. I have the impression that an ODF export/import or using MySQL might be too much extra work for them. The xrow solution on the other hand will probably be too expansive in this context. As you discovered, lydiar, there is now some activity starting in the ... See more
Hello Lydiar and Marco, thanks for your ideas. In fact, I am looking for a solution that is "almost no extra work and cost" for the web agency. Otherwise they will prefer that the translators just do the copying and pasting into the eZP masks. I have the impression that an ODF export/import or using MySQL might be too much extra work for them. The xrow solution on the other hand will probably be too expansive in this context. As you discovered, lydiar, there is now some activity starting in the eZP community to provide an eZP plug-in which creates an xml file containing all the necessary website information. The xml file should be translated by a CAT tool and then imported back into eZP with all the translations falling into the correct positions. This looks promising. I hope it will work out. If anyone is interested in contributing to this development (as a tester for example) you can contact me. Best regards, ArndCollapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT support for translating an eZ Publish website?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »