[need advice] User-friendly CMS that makes translation easy for a non-technical person
Thread poster: Ihor Shevkoplias
Ihor Shevkoplias
Ihor Shevkoplias
Local time: 18:06
English to Russian
Oct 4, 2011

One company wants to increase their sales in non-english markets.
They want to give their affiliates a website in English which they can install on their server and easily translate the content.

They need a platform for this mini-website.
It does not need to be complicated, no Passolo/Trados since the translations will be done by users with varying degree of computer literacy and not professional translators.
If the content is can be automatically translated wit
... See more
One company wants to increase their sales in non-english markets.
They want to give their affiliates a website in English which they can install on their server and easily translate the content.

They need a platform for this mini-website.
It does not need to be complicated, no Passolo/Trados since the translations will be done by users with varying degree of computer literacy and not professional translators.
If the content is can be automatically translated with Google translate it might be a good idea (so that the user edits the text translated by machine).

Any advice about achieving this will be appreciated.
Collapse

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:06
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
how many CMSs? Oct 4, 2011

the last time I investigated this question, there were approximately 4000 (yes, 4 thousand) different types of CMS applications. There have been a number of comparative studies of them, including for translation and localization compatability.
The majority of them are not translation/L10n friendly. I've spent much time trying to work with the sales, marketing and development people of various CMS tools to provide adapters and plug-ins between their CMS and various translation tools. In so
... See more
the last time I investigated this question, there were approximately 4000 (yes, 4 thousand) different types of CMS applications. There have been a number of comparative studies of them, including for translation and localization compatability.
The majority of them are not translation/L10n friendly. I've spent much time trying to work with the sales, marketing and development people of various CMS tools to provide adapters and plug-ins between their CMS and various translation tools. In some cases the architecture of the system impedes the ability to have a good "internationalized" structure for multiple languages.

Jeff
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Such thing exists already Oct 4, 2011

I think that what you are looking for exists already. Please email me in case you are interested in contacting the people who created it for their internal use. They might be interested in opening it to your customer.

lidija68
lidija68  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
How about Joomla Oct 4, 2011

How about Joomla and its component for translation Joomfish?
I've used it for my site and I don't think it's too complicated.

-english is not my working language-

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 22:06
English to Thai
+ ...
Joomla Extensions Oct 5, 2011

Joomla is a very popular and Open Source CMS with extensions (plug-in) for machine translating into many languages. Post-translation editing is simple and quick if you read its user manual. No Trados is needed. It bad point is format: not sophisticate like classic website tools e.g. html, PHP etc.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

[need advice] User-friendly CMS that makes translation easy for a non-technical person

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »