Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 14:18
English to German
+ ...
Jul 19, 2004

Hello all!

It has been going through my mind for sometime, that it would be of great advantage if there were a place to upload all those useful tools for the benefit of everybody, such that everyone can download and use them. May be the idea is not practicable, as it may cost too much webspace, considering all those thousands of tools in the web. I find it is an advantage, if there were such a place, as I do not remember all those hundreds of links where I got these from. Now, I hav
... See more
Hello all!

It has been going through my mind for sometime, that it would be of great advantage if there were a place to upload all those useful tools for the benefit of everybody, such that everyone can download and use them. May be the idea is not practicable, as it may cost too much webspace, considering all those thousands of tools in the web. I find it is an advantage, if there were such a place, as I do not remember all those hundreds of links where I got these from. Now, I have found a great tool, it converts the Microsoft Glossaries into TWB format like magic, after that you can integrate into your local database, or even export to other formats.We all know how many these glossaries are and that a few of them are real huge. Any ideas or are we talking microsoft again. What do you say. For all those who think this is a needy tool called " ms-glossaries2twb" a conversion tool, contact me via profile page.
Greets
Brandis
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
tools to share Jul 19, 2004

Brandis,

Feel free to add OmegaT to your list. Version 1.4.0 has just been released, by the way.

Marc

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Heloo and thank you Jul 19, 2004

MarcPrior wrote:

Brandis,

Feel free to add OmegaT to your list. Version 1.4.0 has just been released, by the way.

Marc
Hello Marc, I remember I had promised some information in the past, regarding apache etc., I shall send this to you this week sometime. My only trouble is I have no server and webspace. My idea was to have some common webspace at the proz forum, where good tested products ( shareware or not, not the ones with license) with positive results could be shared commonly, without having to run around the web in their search. This would be certainly helpful for those with irregular internet connection or with small bandwidth or those who could use immediate help. That was the main thought. I have dcownloaded the latest OmegaT. Thank you. Sometime now I might just put up a webpage and upload these one after the other for a certain period. I wished webspace comes for free.
Regards,
Brandis

Marketing-Lang.
Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
At least a link collection Jul 20, 2004

... that would be a big help, for a start.
Oh, how many great links have I lost because of computer crashes... sigh!
I do now use www.mybookmarks.com, though. Never lose a link again
-Mike-

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
How about a "links+description only" topic in our Forum? Jul 20, 2004

How about starting a "links+description only" thread in this forum?

It's true, so many links to useful tools are provided in the various threads, and searching through them is not always as immediate as it could be.

I could open a new "links only" thread in our localization forum, to which some specific rules will apply to make sure the info remains readily accessible:

1. The thread will be called "Useful links".

2. The subject of each post wil
... See more

It's true, so many links to useful tools are provided in the various threads, and searching through them is not always as immediate as it could be.

I could open a new "links only" thread in our localization forum, to which some specific rules will apply to make sure the info remains readily accessible:

2. The subject of each post will have a brief description of the tool/link provided.

3. Each post will have as body the link itself, followed by a concise and to-the-point description of the link/tool. It might be useful to include also a keywords paragraph, including any keyword that would be useful for forum searches.

4. No discussion will be allowed in this topic (including no "thank you - that's great" kind of replies). To discuss any specific link/tool, a separate topic will be opened. To give easy access to such discussion, the poster of the original link can edit his post by adding a reference to any related discussion topic.

5. Of course, as per Proz.com rules, no advertising will be allowed.

It's not the same as having a dedicated links section, but it can be started now and I think that if it is used in a disciplined way it could become a useful resource for all of us who follow the Localization forum.

If it receives regular input, it will remain at the top of the topics list and easy accessible.

What do you say?
Roberta
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
good idea Jul 20, 2004

Roberta Anderson wrote:

2. The subject of each post will have a brief description of the tool/link provided.

3. Each post will have as body the link itself, followed by a concise and to-the-point description of the link/tool. It might be useful to include also a keywords paragraph, including any keyword that would be useful for forum searches.

4. No discussion will be allowed in this topic (including no "thank you - that's great" kind of replies). To discuss any specific link/tool, a separate topic will be opened. To give easy access to such discussion, the poster of the original link can edit his post by adding a reference to any related discussion topic.

5. Of course, as per Proz.com rules, no advertising will be allowed.

It's not the same as having a dedicated links section, but it can be started now and I think that if it is used in a disciplined way it could become a useful resource for all of us who follow the Localization forum.

If it receives regular input, it will remain at the top of the topics list and easy accessible.

What do you say?
Roberta
Hello Roberta, I find it a very practicable idea, pool resources or resourceinfos at one point, with a short description of which tool does what, and no discussions at this level and also no advertising. Link of the tool along with some short description should do, to check the link at a later time. The advantage as I see is avoiding the distributed information.
Greets
Brandis

Jaroslav Tomiczek
Jaroslav Tomiczek  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Where is it? Oct 11, 2004

Has the thread been already started?
Jaro

Roberta Anderson
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
not yet - starting it now Oct 11, 2004

No, Jaroslav - I was actually waiting to see what the rest of you thought about it...

But I'll start it right now and hope it willprove useful.

Cheers,
Roberta

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The idea is great Oct 11, 2004

Roberta Anderson wrote:

No, Jaroslav - I was actually waiting to see what the rest of you thought about it...

But I'll start it right now and hope it willprove useful.

Cheers,
Roberta
in a world of so many tools, one could easily miss the goal. Hi ! Roberta, this is a good thing, as it helps the community, I guess. It is a good initiative.

Greets
Brandis

Ines Garcia Botana
Ines Garcia Botana  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Best idea ever! Oct 11, 2004

Very interesting. Something we all need!
I'll be waiting for the news!
Ines

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
It already exists. Oct 12, 2004

Roberta Anderson wrote:

/quote]

What are you talking about ? It already exists, here, on proz. You never took a tour of the site ? You never went to glosspost ? Menu above > community >glosspost.

Here you will find thousands of links, in which you can search giving the languages you want.

Roberta Anderson
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Glosspost is a great reference for glossaries Oct 12, 2004

yes, thank you lien.

Glosspost is indeed a great reference for glossaries.

The idea above,though, was to provide a place to keep various other kinds of links, like those for youseful tools, or tips&tricks, that do not fit in the glosspost scope.

Roberta

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
found newer tool set cross platform font conversion utilities Nov 15, 2004

Hi! here is the link
http://www.asy.com/
Windows pc/ps2/mac and back Truetype and ps as well. I guess for many of us, processing mac files on pc or pc files on mac is a trouble, I think this solves it.
Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

tools to share

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »