Tools for translating Markdown and .YML resource files
Thread poster: Alexandra Bourne

Alexandra Bourne  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 2

Hello all,

I have started a new job as project manager. The documentation we will need to translate is written in Markdown and the software uses .YML resource files that need translation.

Is there a CAT tool that handles Markdown files and .YML files?

Markdown is a text format that uses special syntax to tag files that are then converted to HTML.
Here is some info about Markdown: https://guides.github.com/features/mastering-markdown/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown
Even though the Markdown files are in text format (Although the file extension is .md), there are some characters that have special meaning (Like the #, > etc) , so If the syntax is altered, and those special characters that create the syntax are removed, it will not be possible to generate the output HTML.

Yml files are software files (Ruby on rails). These files can also be opened in a text file. However, in .yml files the number of white space before a string has a special meaning, so I am trying to find a cat tool that can safeguard from a translator inadvertently changing it. This format also uses # and other symbols as part of the syntax.

Thank you,

Alexandra

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:24
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
OmegaT for Markdown Feb 3

Alexandra Bourne wrote:
The documentation we will need to translate is written in Markdown and the software uses .YML resource files that need translation. ... Is there a CAT tool that handles Markdown files and .YML files?

There is a Markdown filter for OmegaT:
https://github.com/miurahr/omegat-markdown-plugin
...but I have no idea how good it is. Remember, the fact that a CAT tool has a filter for a certain format does not mean that the filter fully supports the entire format.

Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:24
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
It has to be tested with actual documents Feb 3

Samuel Murray wrote:

Alexandra Bourne wrote:
The documentation we will need to translate is written in Markdown and the software uses .YML resource files that need translation. ... Is there a CAT tool that handles Markdown files and .YML files?

There is a Markdown filter for OmegaT:
https://github.com/miurahr/omegat-markdown-plugin
...but I have no idea how good it is.

It has to be tested with actual documents.

As mentioned "This is an incomplete implementation of OmegaT plugin which support Markdown document for translation."

Remember, the fact that a CAT tool has a filter for a certain format does not mean that the filter fully supports the entire format.

Yes.

In some cases, you get better results with the text filter (supposing the translator knows how to deal with markup commands).

Didier

Juan Martín Fernández Rowda  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Create you own filter Feb 22

Create a personalized filter based on your content. Not too hard to do in MemoQ.

Now, this is not job for a project manager - talk to your L10n engineer.

Alexandra Bourne  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Mar 7

Hi everyone,

Ha, ha! I am the only localization person at the company, no engineers! Only me, that's why I get to do this research.

I wanted to update this post in case other people are doing this research and can help them.

I found that the companies Crowdin, Qordoba and Lingohub have support for Markdown files in their Translation Management Cloud solutions. So after the files get imported into those applications, they can be translated online.

Thanks

Alexandra

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tools for translating Markdown and .YML resource files

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search