Working for Apple - I wish
Thread poster: q
q
q
English
Mar 1, 2003

Hello there!

I\'m just wondering if anybody knows how Apple takes care of localizing their software. The reason is that I\'m a little Mac addict and kind of sick of my day job. I more or less live of localizing Microsoft software at a loc vendor.

So I wish there was a loc vendor that works for Apple in the same way many loc vendors work for Microsoft.

Or is Apple one of these companies that do localization in-house? If so where do th
... See more
Hello there!

I\'m just wondering if anybody knows how Apple takes care of localizing their software. The reason is that I\'m a little Mac addict and kind of sick of my day job. I more or less live of localizing Microsoft software at a loc vendor.

So I wish there was a loc vendor that works for Apple in the same way many loc vendors work for Microsoft.

Or is Apple one of these companies that do localization in-house? If so where do they advertize vacancies? And do they also have a loc HQ in Ireland? I can\'t move to the US so I would hope so.

Thanks for any input on this matter.
Collapse

Stéphan Goldsmith
Stéphan Goldsmith
Local time: 05:45
English to French
+ ...
Apple Cork Mar 1, 2003

Hi,

Apple has so called International Software Support teams which are to provide \"instructions and localization support to Apple\'s localization teams across the globe.\"

A quick search on Google confirmed that Apple seems to have a localization unit in its Cork (Ireland) manufacturing site.

Good luck

Stephan

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
ADC Mar 1, 2003

The list for Apple developers would be able to answer your question. Also, there is a program to do it calle applegot.

See: http://developer.apple.com/regions/americas/

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:45
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Possible starting points Mar 1, 2003

Hi, q (what\'s your name?)

From the previous link I found this one:

http://developer.apple.com/mkt/programs/localization.html

Here you\'ll find 3 companies that offer special localization rates to Apple developers registered with ADC.

You might want to contact them, not as a developer buying their services but as a potential freelancer to add to their da
... See more
Hi, q (what\'s your name?)

From the previous link I found this one:

http://developer.apple.com/mkt/programs/localization.html

Here you\'ll find 3 companies that offer special localization rates to Apple developers registered with ADC.

You might want to contact them, not as a developer buying their services but as a potential freelancer to add to their database.

What languages do you work with?

What sw applications do you have experience with?

Also, bear in mind that each software provider will have its own favourite localization partner. Is it just the Mac OS you are in love with, or a specific application? you might want to channel your search in the application direction, rather than just Apple.

Good luck,

Roberta
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working for Apple - I wish

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »