https://www.proz.com/forum/machine_translation_mt/183377-multiterm_2009_import_function.html

Multiterm 2009: import function?
Thread poster: ansticea (X)
ansticea (X)
ansticea (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:14
English to French
+ ...
Oct 20, 2010

A silly question. Can anyone tell me if on multiterm 2009 there is normally an IMPORT function.

I have been experiencing some problems installing it and wonder if it is falty...

I read on google: to create a termbase, I could import an EXCEL document (glossary) after converting. I did the conversion fine, got a in .xml (output). It says that after multiterm needs to import the converted .xdt files, there are even showing this on Utube, but this function does not exit in
... See more
A silly question. Can anyone tell me if on multiterm 2009 there is normally an IMPORT function.

I have been experiencing some problems installing it and wonder if it is falty...

I read on google: to create a termbase, I could import an EXCEL document (glossary) after converting. I did the conversion fine, got a in .xml (output). It says that after multiterm needs to import the converted .xdt files, there are even showing this on Utube, but this function does not exit in my Multiterm. In Termbase, I only have 5 heading: open/ create / close Termbase + Server and Exit but no import. Is it normal? Can someone help?

Thanks

Anne
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You have missed one important point: creating a termbase Oct 20, 2010

After having converted the EXCEL file using MultiTerm Convert you need to create a new termbase, using the XDT-file as termbase definition, and then import the XML there.

Daniel Pestana
Daniel Pestana  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:14
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Step by Step Oct 20, 2010

Hi Ansticea,

Here is the solution, step by step:

1 - In your Excel file, the first cells of each column must have the language of each one (e.g. 1st column "English" and 2nd column "French")

2 - Now, open MultiTerm Convert, choose new conversion session, Choose Microsoft Excel Format, choose your Input file (e.g. Glossary.xls), now, when you choose Next, you'll have the available column headers. The language of each column are index fields, so you'll need t
... See more
Hi Ansticea,

Here is the solution, step by step:

1 - In your Excel file, the first cells of each column must have the language of each one (e.g. 1st column "English" and 2nd column "French")

2 - Now, open MultiTerm Convert, choose new conversion session, Choose Microsoft Excel Format, choose your Input file (e.g. Glossary.xls), now, when you choose Next, you'll have the available column headers. The language of each column are index fields, so you'll need to check that box (Index field) and choose the language that matches them (e.g. "French" column = "French" index field). If you have a Comment or Description column on the Excel file, that column is a Descriptive Field, so you'll need to check that box, and choose Text. Now choose Next, and then again Next, and after that Next Wait for conversion. Click Next, Finish and... You're done!

3 - Open SDL MultiTerm 2009. Now, on the menu, click TermBase, choose Create TermBase. Give it a name. Click Save. Now, on the TermBase Wizard Window, click Next, Choose Create a New Termbase definition from scratch. Click Next. Give it a name. Click Next. Choose the languages on your glossary and Add them to the Selected Index Fields. Click Next, Next, Next and Finish.

4 - Now, on the left side of the MultiTerm window (look down), you have something that says Catalog. Click on it. You'll see on your upper left the Catalog Categories. Click on Import. You now have the following text: Default Import Definition. Right-click on it. A sub-menu will appear. Click on Process.

5 - You now have the Import Wizard. Click on Browse next to the field "Import File". Go to the Folder where you have your files (usually it opens in the right folder). Choose the .mtf file you've created with the MultiTerm Convert. Click Next. Give a name to the exclusion file. Click Next, Next, Next and Finish. Wait until MultiTerm imports all entries (it might take a while if the glossary is huge), click Next and Finish... and... you're done!

6 - Can you now see all the entries on MultiTerm? Great

Hope it helps!

Best,
Daniel Pestana
Collapse

ansticea (X)
ansticea (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still no way of importing my converted Excel glossary Oct 20, 2010

I am very grateful for your help. And I have followed your step by step approach to the letter.

I did create a new TermBase, gave it a name, saved it. followed the instructions of the TermBase Wizard Window
I went into Catalog. Clicked on it. and there is my problem in the Catalog Categories. I have not got any option to "Import." All the tags in "catalogue" : create, activate, duplicate etc are inactive. So I can import or get to the Import Wizard. Nothing....

A
... See more
I am very grateful for your help. And I have followed your step by step approach to the letter.

I did create a new TermBase, gave it a name, saved it. followed the instructions of the TermBase Wizard Window
I went into Catalog. Clicked on it. and there is my problem in the Catalog Categories. I have not got any option to "Import." All the tags in "catalogue" : create, activate, duplicate etc are inactive. So I can import or get to the Import Wizard. Nothing....

Any idea on what to do?

Anne
Collapse

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Local termbase or server termbase Oct 20, 2010

ansticea wrote:

Any idea on what to do?

Anne

Hi, Anne,

Is it a local termbase (only you access it) or is it a server-based termbase (accessed simultaneouly by several colleagues). If it's a server termbase, you need to have permissions for imnporting.

Daniel

pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
English to Italian
+ ...
Here's the steps! Dec 16, 2010

ansticea wrote:
I have not got any option to "Import." All the tags in "catalogue" : create, activate, duplicate etc are inactive.

In Catalog, click on the + sign on the left of the icon of your termbase.
It should displays:
-- Definition
-- Layouts
-- Filters
-- Input models
-- Import
-- Export

Single-click on Import, right-click on it, from the flyout choose "process..." then select your *.mtf file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm 2009: import function?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »