Thread poster: SymS
SymS
Thailand
Local time: 17:26
English to French
+ ...
Sep 12, 2011

Wikileaks posted a tweet:
"We wish to bulk translate around 300mil words into 8 languages. That's around $37,000 x 8 using Google. Are there alternatives?"

That's probably to translate the cables, but I wonder how they could come to that amount ?
That's about 0.00012 USD per word.

Direct link Reply with quote

Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 07:26
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
Google Translate API Sep 12, 2011

They are referring to the Google Translate API (i.e., machine translation) that is no longer free and now charges a fee of USD 20 per million characters (approx. USD 0.05/page, assuming 500 words/page).

SymS
Thailand
Local time: 17:26
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
API v2 is a paid service, API v1 still free but deprecated. Sep 12, 2011

Thanks, I did not know that.

But it seems they only charge for the Google API v2. Google API v1 still seems to be free although they will terminate it on the 1st of December 2011.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wikileaks - Google Translation

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search