Thread poster: Michael Mangelsdorf

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:02
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ha ha Sep 12

CafeTran Training wrote:

....Just don't expect the translation to be correct. ..

Direct link Reply with quote

Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:02
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
HAL 9000 Sep 12

The advances in MT and AI in general, remind me of HAL 9000 from Space Odyssey. The quote from Wikipedia article about HAL 9000:

"HAL is capable of speech, speech recognition, facial recognition, natural language processing, lip reading, art appreciation, interpreting emotional behaviours, automated reasoning, and playing chess."

The very fact that professional translators try to compete with MT showing off still their superiority gives it a lot of credit. Instead of competing, why don't you just supervise it in front of your "control rooms"?

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No competition Sep 13

There's no competition. And let's remember: HAL screwed up. Big time.

[Edited at 2017-09-13 09:31 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
it will happen... Sep 13

but only for the lower end of the market... cheap and nasty. It's already happening to a certain extent... luckily there are many translators in the world intelligent enough to understand the ultimate consequence and refuse to take part in it... from a strict technological point of view, the human brain will never be reproduced and replaced. It would have happened by now. Don't believe the hype.

Wojciech_
Poland
Local time: 23:02
English to Polish
+ ...
Not for MT post-editing, but... Sep 15

I agree that all today's MT engines used for translating full sentences or paragraphs produces lots of garbage and post-editing such a "translation" is simply a tedious thing to do.

However... there are already several CAT tools that utilize only chunks of what MT engines produce, especially via autosuggest/autowrite functionality. I'm particularly impressed with what Studio's Autosuggest can do, providing me with useful chunks of text from MT engines, TMs, fragment matches, Regex etc. This really speeds up the process. In just one sentence I can use a chunk from Microsoft MT, followed by Google, than again Microsoft, a chunk from a TM and voila

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DeepL

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search