Google AutoML: train your own custom, domain-specific NMT model
Thread poster: Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Jul 28

From Slator.com:

AutoML allows Google cloud service users to upload translated language pairs to train their own custom, domain-specific NMT model.


Edit: The big question is: Will Google use any uploaded private info to train the publicly available Google Translate engine too?

[Edited at 2018-07-28 11:08 GMT]


Dan Lucas
Georgi Kovachev
 

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:46
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
hmm Jul 28

Interesting, but... I'm more looking forward to when the DeepL developers add the ability to specify preferred terms to be used in their output via the API. I'm not sure I would be interested in uploading entire TMs, not for privacy reasons, but rather because I suspect that tweaking individual words used in the MT output (à la GT4T *) in my current project will have a better impact than uploading my own TMs and having them used to build the engine.

Michael

* = see: https://gt4t.net/en/1109-2/ )


 

David GAY  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Obviously Jul 28

[quote]Hans Lenting wrote:

From Slator.com:

Will Google use any uploaded private info to train the publicly available Google Translate engine too?

[Edited at 2018-07-28 11:08 GMT]


Why would they do it otherwise?
If you want to lose your job, go ahead!


Hedwig Spitzer Cáceres
 

Hans Lenting  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Let's wait for Google's answer Jul 29

David GAY wrote:

Why would they do it otherwise?
If you want to lose your job, go ahead!


If that would be really true, you're absolutely right. I've asked Google's Support about this topic, since I cannot find any answer in their generic information.

I do remember, however, that placing files in your Google Drive, allows Google to harvest your data. I can, however, imagine (I have a vivid imagination) that business clients of AutoML won't agree with this practice.


 

David GAY  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
I guess Jul 29

Hans Lenting wrote:

David GAY wrote:

Why would they do it otherwise?
If you want to lose your job, go ahead!


If that would be really true, you're absolutely right. I've asked Google's Support about this topic, since I cannot find any answer in their generic information.

I do remember, however, that placing files in your Google Drive, allows Google to harvest your data. I can, however, imagine (I have a vivid imagination) that business clients of AutoML won't agree with this practice.


I guess that the clients they target are corporate clients, not
professional translators. But is Google or Facebook a company you can
trust blindly anyway? Can you control their processes? Does any kind of
authority control their processes? I'm quite sure the answer is no.
They are almost above the law. So you'd better not trust these people
anyway whatever their answer (which will be supplied to you by a guy located in a call center in India**).


** What I meant is that you can't expect an answer from Serguey Brin
and Larry Page right now as they are on vacation

[Modifié le 2018-07-29 10:48 GMT]

[Modifié le 2018-07-29 10:50 GMT]

[Modifié le 2018-07-29 12:11 GMT]

[Modifié le 2018-07-29 14:36 GMT]

[Modifié le 2018-07-29 14:36 GMT]

[Modifié le 2018-07-29 14:37 GMT]


 

David GAY  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
anyway Jul 29

Anyway, they can use your data to train their engine
and delete the set of data afterwards.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google AutoML: train your own custom, domain-specific NMT model

Advanced search






Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search