Kai Döring  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 11:09
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
May 10, 2009

Dear All,

I am a proz-member for more than two years, I am planning to redesign my profile.

I would appreciate some ideas and remarks what is OK and what I could add or present in a different way.

Thanks in advance.

Kai

Direct link Reply with quote

Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:09
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
The sky is the limit May 10, 2009

Hi Kai,
I'm experimenting with my profile too, trying out new layouts and options. I'm not claiming that I mastered all possibilities yet, and my profile is work in progress, but if you know how to do it, the sky is the limit.
I have heard that there might be a presentation on "Proz Profile Modding and Optimization" at the Austrian Regional Conference in Vienna (November 28-29, 2009).

Siegfried

Niraja Nanjundan  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:39
German to English
Something very minor... May 10, 2009

....but there's a small typo in the spelling of "Christian" in the tagline. I'm also not really sure what you mean by "environmental engineer *by heart*," but maybe that's just me

All the best,
Niraja

Kai Döring  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 11:09
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 10, 2009

Thanks for your comments so far

xxxmaja.freelan
German to Macedonian
+ ...
I like it May 10, 2009

It's not so big, but it gives all the necessary information about yourself.

I also don't know what you mean by "Christian Environmental Eng. by Heart"?

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:09
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
A few points May 10, 2009

I see that you've changed the Denglisch in the tagline, but I still think it needs work. Do you really think that a potential customer cares if you are a Christian if they have an engineering document to translate? The only real relevance for something like that is if you do translations related to Christianity; I think Vic Dewsbery mentions Christianity on his site, but then it's very relevant to his translation work. Another person I know also advertises the hotline to God, but she's involved with religious NGOs doing good works in Africa and elsewhere, and that is totally relevant to her translation activities. You are more technical, so I fail to see the point.

Also, it would be a good idea to clean up the English in your profile. It has a serious flavor of Denglish: sentences like "I am a German Native Speaker who is residing since 2006 in the Philippines" betray a typical German difficulty with the use of English verb tenses. Since you advertise translations into English, you might want to clean up such things (and the incorrect capitalization too while you're at it) and make sure you've got a damned good editor on your side. The English in your profile and in the DE>EN example is understandable, but it's often "knapp daneben" (the current translation example into English does you no favors) and would not inspire confidence in a discriminating customer. It certainly doesn't look good in combination with the designation as a native speaker which I see at the top of your profile. Many customers, particularly Germans without a good command of English or perhaps the locals where you live may not notice or care, but if you want to work in the DE>EN pair and avoid stepping on landmines, you might want to think about the presentation and some good alliances for editing, perhaps with some brave native English speakers who try to venture in the other direction (EN>DE). If you were just advertising EN>DE this would matter less, as one doesn't expect a non-native who doesn't translate into English to get everything right in that language.

Also, why don't you have a German CV? I would add one. The hit stats on my German and English CVs show that about 30% of the time my CV is being read in German, and I expect that the figure would be the same or higher for you if you are marketing your services to European clients.

You might want to be careful, too, with the prominent greeting from the beautiful part of the world you live in. I can see your location at the top of the profile, but what I really need to know is that you are a qualified engineer who translates. THAT is the main selling point that will get you good jobs and make you money. Your location is merely a distraction, at best useful info for planning short deadlines.

With regard to the CV, if you are going to add a picture, use one with better resolution. Drop the pointless information like date of birth and marital status. That might be expected if you apply for a staff job here in Germany, but as a freelance translator, nobody cares what your age is or if you have converted to Islam and keep four wives. I would rewrite that document to make it more relevant to your activity as a translator. It also says absolutely nothing about the skills you have as a translator or your use of technology relevant to translation. Agency clients at least will expect that.

Edited to correct the damage from fumbling fingers

[Edited at 2009-05-10 17:02 GMT]

xxxwonita
China
Local time: 00:09
Just one sentence May 10, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:
Also, it would be a good idea to clean up the English in your profile. It has a serious flavor of Denglish: sentences like "I am a German Native Speaker who is residing since 2006 in the Philippines" betray a typical German difficulty with the use of English verb tenses.

I am a native German speaker who has been residing in the Philippines since 2006.

[Edited at 2009-05-10 17:55 GMT]

xxxwonita
China
Local time: 00:09
Being a Christian translator May 10, 2009

"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."
Matthew 6:33

" You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl... Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven."
Matthew 5:14-16

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Unfortunately not May 10, 2009

Bin Tiede wrote:
Just one sentence

No, there's more than that to be found. The use of present progressive in the line after that is not strictly wrong, but it's typical Denglish usage and not what one would encounter in better writing in English. The use of prepositions ("open for", for example) indicate that something is a bit off. The problems continue in the CV with prepositions, missing definite articles where they are needed, etc.

Kai communicates just fine in English. I understand what he has to say. He's probably brilliant at a job site where he has to explain something in English. But here he is presumably selling himself as a person capable of producing publication-quality German to English translations, and the evidence before me says that this is not the case without a professional editor. Or is there a native English speaker in the audience with a good command of German who will read the translation sample in his profile and contradict me on this point?

Personally I am not affected by this. The market is big enough, and there is plenty of room in it even for translations which are incorrect or otherwise flawed. But I think he is capable of better than that, and my own experience tells me that there is a real need for people with his qualifications to translate in my pair or the other way around. But based on what I see I would never hire him without careful checking of each line in English and a lot of time planned for correction. Thus my suggestion of an editor. If he follows that suggestion, the partnership ought to be advertised openly, as many German customers love to know that dual review (Vier-Augen-Prinzip) is being practiced. If he tries to fly solo for DE>EN, he will have a nasty crash at some point.

Once again, edited for sloppy typing

[Edited at 2009-05-10 20:24 GMT]

Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:09
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Since you asked May 10, 2009

Kai Döring wrote:

I would appreciate some ideas and remarks what is OK and what I could add or present in a different way.

Kevin Lossner wrote:

The English in your profile and in the DE>EN example is understandable, but it's often "knapp daneben" (the current translation example into English does you no favors) and would not inspire confidence in a discriminating customer. It certainly doesn't look good in combination with the designation as a native speaker which I see at the top of your profile.

Carla Guerreiro  Identity Verified
France
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Does it mean that you prefer Christian clients? May 11, 2009

Frankly, I don't see what's the point of mentioning religious beliefs in your profile... In my point of view, religious beliefs should remain in a private sphere, not in a public or professional sphere.
I don't care if a client is Christian or not: the only important thing for me is that he pays on time.

Bin Tiede wrote:

"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."
Matthew 6:33

" You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl... Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven."
Matthew 5:14-16

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
This immediately caught my eye ... May 11, 2009

"As a German Engineer I offer technical and non-technical translations from English to English and German to English."

I'm sure you meant English to German rather than English to English, right?

Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Agree with Kevin. Also: Passionate Environmental Engineer? May 11, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:

...Or is there a native English speaker in the audience with a good command of German who will read the translation sample in his profile and contradict me on this point?

All excellent points Kevin, and much more diplomatically expressed than I probably would have managed To be fair, things are looking much better Kai, although I'm not really sure about Passionate Environmental Engineer as a tagline - sounds oddly romantic, and not in a good way.

Niraja Nanjundan  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:39
German to English
How about.... May 11, 2009

Michele Johnson wrote:
although I'm not really sure about Passionate Environmental Engineer as a tagline - sounds oddly romantic

....Translator with a Passion for Environmental Engineering

or

Environmental Engineer with a Passion for Translating....

....depending on which of the two you're more passionate about

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Agree May 11, 2009

Michele Johnson wrote:

To be fair, things are looking much better Kai, although I'm not really sure about Passionate Environmental Engineer as a tagline - sounds oddly romantic, and not in a good way.

Michele's right -- sounds like you won't have much time to spend on translating Kai

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestions for my profile!

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search