Offering freelance translation services directly to clients
Thread poster: Jacqueline Sieben

Jacqueline Sieben  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:04
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sep 16, 2009

I am currently and mostly working for translation agencies. I would like to offer my services directly to law firms, either translations or proofreading, but not simultaneously for one project . In this scenario, how would you market your services as a translator? Thanks for your input!

Direct link Reply with quote

Carla Catolino
Italy
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
When you find out... Sep 16, 2009

Jacqueline Sieben wrote:

I am currently and mostly working for translation agencies. I would like to offer my services directly to law firms, either translations or proofreading, but not simultaneously for one project . In this scenario, how would you market your services as a translator? Thanks for your input!

Let me know because I have been wondering about the same for a very long time!

Constanza Fest
French to German
+ ...
freelance marketing Sep 16, 2009

Hi, I'm in business for myself as a therapist and trainer and am developing a presentation folder and flyer with my trainings to present to potential clients. That I'd meet - once I've got the flyer and the courage - by simply walking up to the businesses I'd like to work with. Of course not "out of the blue", but using a strategy I learned at a "Life/Work Planning" seminar in Germany, based on Richard Bolles' book "What colour is your parachute" - originally meant for job hunting. It shows a means of communication not based on the idea of "selling" but based on common ground, ie. interest, passion, relationship. A ressource I also found helpful in communicating directly is "Book yourself solid" by Michael Port. I've also been told (but haven't done it yet) that I'd need to be where my sort of clients would be, in your case maybe lawyers' conventions or courtroom waiting halls or adjacent cafés... Xing or similar platforms might also be helpful. Or offering mini-workshops at the offices in question as a possibility for the clients to get to know you - at their offices, lawyers' association, whatever.
This any help? Good luck and have fun.

Conny

Jacqueline Sieben  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for your input Sep 16, 2009

Interesting story, particularly the flyer part, but I would never wait outside laywers' conventions or court rooms to "catch" business from them... The thing is, that translation agencies can offer a product, which is nearly perfect to the end-user, i.e. proofread after translation. I am not able to provide this service, since I work alone. Perhaps I should try larger law firms with in-house translators (who have too much work to handle) who are willing to do the proofreading. It would save them considerable costs if they use a single freelance translator instead of a translation agency... I only need to have a good strategy to approach them...

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
Be Self-Contained Sep 16, 2009

[quote]Jacqueline Sieben wrote:

The thing is, that translation agencies can offer a product, which is nearly perfect to the end-user, i.e. proofread after translation. I am not able to provide this service, since I work alone.

I do not see why not. If we are excellent translators, then we should be capable of producing excellence every day, in every way, with our own resources, working alone. If we have not reached that point yet, then it is something to aspire to. There is nothing that says that proofreaders are any better than we are, and many times they can turn out to be worse.

Work towards becoming self-contained. It is very efficient and very satisfying.

Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 20:04
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Team up with others Sep 16, 2009

Jacqueline Sieben wrote:

Interesting story, particularly the flyer part, but I would never wait outside laywers' conventions or court rooms to "catch" business from them... The thing is, that translation agencies can offer a product, which is nearly perfect to the end-user, i.e. proofread after translation. I am not able to provide this service, since I work alone. Perhaps I should try larger law firms with in-house translators (who have too much work to handle) who are willing to do the proofreading. It would save them considerable costs if they use a single freelance translator instead of a translation agency... I only need to have a good strategy to approach them...

You should team up with another translator...

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Offering freelance translation services directly to clients Sep 16, 2009

I believe that this is a double-edged knife. On the one hand, it is normal to look to become independent of intermediaries. On the other hand, these will see you like competition and, perhaps, they avoid to give you more work in the future.

But , unlike the rest of my colleagues, I do not recommend you to team up in any manner with other translators, but with designers, printers, publishers, etc. that allow you to give an integral and finished top-end service. If you need other translators, hire them. But, "always take the frying pan from the handle". Fellows and business are not good partners. Just, my two cents...

[Editado a las 2009-09-16 19:51 GMT]

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 20:04
start small... Sep 16, 2009

Jacqueline Sieben wrote:

Please don't dismiss conventions/conferences out of hand. It is nerve-wracking if you're on your own, but how about going to a small local one first and see how you get on there?
You can always go to the bigger conferences (or whatever it is that lawyers have), when you've cut your teeth at the smaller ones.
For example, I went to the Frankfurt Book Fair a few years ago with another colleague to get prospective business. We didn't always work together but our fields of interest overlapped and shared the same language pair. It was good to have someone with me when walking up to the trade stall and strike up a conversation.

[Edited at 2009-09-16 19:55 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Offering freelance translation services directly to clients

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search