Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is it worth having a website for a freelancer?
Thread poster: Linh Hoang
Linh Hoang
Linh Hoang  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 14:56
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Mar 11, 2012

I currently work a a freelancer. I have purchased a domain and just used Proz's free hosting for my email. I plan to engage a web designer to build up my website. As quoted by the web designers, it costs around $300-400 for a simple website in my country. For such cost, I wonder whether it is really cost effective for a freelancer or not. Or I just need to create simple web by using the free template. Highly appreciate any of you sharing your own experience.

Many thanks...

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:56
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends Mar 11, 2012

I've had my current freelance business for six years and it has never had a website. I'm overbooked with work, so clearly I'm fine without it. The signature at the bottom of my e-mails refers people to my LinkedIn and ProZ profiles, and that seems to be enough.

If you already have enough jobs coming in, then whatever you've been doing is obviously working and you don't need a separate website.

If you're still trying to establish yourself, it couldn't hurt to have a sit
... See more
I've had my current freelance business for six years and it has never had a website. I'm overbooked with work, so clearly I'm fine without it. The signature at the bottom of my e-mails refers people to my LinkedIn and ProZ profiles, and that seems to be enough.

If you already have enough jobs coming in, then whatever you've been doing is obviously working and you don't need a separate website.

If you're still trying to establish yourself, it couldn't hurt to have a site.
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Proz Member Mar 11, 2012

I see you are a Proz member, so you get free web hosting (with your own domain name) as part of your membership. HTML is really not that hard to learn. I designed my own site in a few hours.

Linh Hoang wrote:

I currently work a a freelancer. I have purchased a domain and just used Proz's free hosting for my email. I plan to engage a web designer to build up my website. As quoted by the web designers, it costs around $300-400 for a simple website in my country. For such cost, I wonder whether it is really cost effective for a freelancer or not. Or I just need to create simple web by using the free template. Highly appreciate any of you sharing your own experience.

Many thanks...

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 04:56
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Try this Mar 12, 2012

Hi Linh,

Some time ago, a friend of mine suggested this simple website, http://flavors.me

Let me show you what I arranged there, and for no cost: http://flavors.me/fabio_descalzi

Good luck!

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 07:56
Japanese to English
Not to hijack your thread, but... Mar 12, 2012

How does one go about accessing this free webhosting and what happens when your membership expires?

Linh Hoang
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
just starting my freelance Mar 12, 2012

Thanks Steven,

I have just started my business as freelancer after years of in-house translator.

I hope that my own website will help boost up my business.

Steven Capsuto wrote:

If you're still trying to establish yourself, it couldn't hurt to have a site.

Linh Hoang
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good site to try Mar 12, 2012

Hi Fabio,

It's quite a good site to try. Thanks for your suggestion.

Fabio Descalzi wrote:

Hi Linh,

Some time ago, a friend of mine suggested this simple website, http://flavors.me

Let me show you what I arranged there, and for no cost: http://flavors.me/fabio_descalzi

Good luck!

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:56
German to English
+ ...
Membership benefits Mar 12, 2012

TransAfrique wrote:

How does one go about accessing this free webhosting and what happens when your membership expires?

http://www.proz.com/membership/campaign

FAQ about membership: http://www.proz.com/faq/membership.html

There are several forum sections dedicated to ProZ membership, like this one, for example (scroll down a bit to get to the individual threads/topics:
http://www.proz.com/?sp=forum&action=SearchForum&advanced=y

If you still have questions after reading all that, you can start always start a forum discussion.

Good luck.
Woodstock

Luiza McGibb (X)
Luiza McGibb (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Template website Mar 12, 2012

Hello Linh

I'm also just starting as a freelancer and I'm currently building my website. I think that having a nice, user friendly website will be an advantage while I'm trying to build a client portfolio.
You can purchase a template where you pay rent on your page instead of paying a high, once-off large fee. I'm using a great website called http://withtank.com/
Good luck!
Luiza
<
... See more
Hello Linh

I'm also just starting as a freelancer and I'm currently building my website. I think that having a nice, user friendly website will be an advantage while I'm trying to build a client portfolio.
You can purchase a template where you pay rent on your page instead of paying a high, once-off large fee. I'm using a great website called http://withtank.com/
Good luck!
Luiza

[Edited at 2012-03-12 07:33 GMT]
Collapse

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:56
English to Russian
+ ...
web site for free Mar 12, 2012

You can use a Wordpress theme / template to have a well designed and decent site for free.

Linh Hoang
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all Mar 13, 2012

Thank you all for your suggestions. I may try one free-web design of them for my web. Otherwise, I will try to have one at the lowest costs. Hope to share with you soon for your comments.

Cheers,

Marta Stelmaszak (X)
Marta Stelmaszak (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:56
Polish to English
+ ...
What about a professional service? Mar 13, 2012

Have a look here: http://www.websitesfortranslators.co.uk.

Hope that helps!

Johanne Benoit-Gallagher
Johanne Benoit-Gallagher  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
The Website is my representative Apr 4, 2012

Linh, I am coming in a bit late on the discussion, but I thought I would write anyway. As it was mentioned, you may not need a Web site other than what proz, linkedin and other social media offer.

I decided to build one because it is part of my business plan and can speak for me when I am not there

Every tool offers different possibilities and can be useful in its own way.

I used proz initial
... See more
Linh, I am coming in a bit late on the discussion, but I thought I would write anyway. As it was mentioned, you may not need a Web site other than what proz, linkedin and other social media offer.

I decided to build one because it is part of my business plan and can speak for me when I am not there

Every tool offers different possibilities and can be useful in its own way.

I used proz initially, and still do, almost exclusively. I built my clientele with proz and only accepted work that fit the criteria I set for myself. So work in my field and for people/agencies who had earned a solid reputation on proz. I rarely deviated from this.

My first Web site did not add anything useful so it had to go. I now have a new Web site and it is build so that it can be expanded, if need be.

I did not have previous experience using WordPress, but build a Web site with a bit of help. It took quite a bit of time, but I am happy with it and I can now easily edit its content anytime.

This is very important, if possible make sure you can control the content (add/replace) as your business evolves. It will cost you more in the long run if you have to ask someone else to do modifications for you.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:56
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Another option Apr 4, 2012

Well, you'll pay $300-400 for the developer for your initial web site. Then you'll want to add/change/delete things there, so you'll have to pay them something again. If you do it too often, the developer will offer to charge you, say, $50-75 per month to keep your site updated as often as you wish. We are talking about at least $600 per year...

Then you could learn HTML, and do it on your own. The cost/benefit here is thin, as your time is worth more while you are translating, inst
... See more
Well, you'll pay $300-400 for the developer for your initial web site. Then you'll want to add/change/delete things there, so you'll have to pay them something again. If you do it too often, the developer will offer to charge you, say, $50-75 per month to keep your site updated as often as you wish. We are talking about at least $600 per year...

Then you could learn HTML, and do it on your own. The cost/benefit here is thin, as your time is worth more while you are translating, instead of writing code.

I didn't know a thing about HTML, and still don't. Yet my web site is there... http://www.lamensdorf.com.br . Completely made with WebSiteX5, and using a small fraction of all its resources. It costs only 70 euros. Whenever I want to add/change content, I just write it, and upload whatever the program decides that is necessary.

I use my site mostly for explanations I have to give often to clients, as well as material they might find interesting. Some good clients have found me through there, though I get a lot of useless queries.

My suggestion is that you get a separate e-mail address published there, a service that allows you to bulk-delete spam without reading, just from reading the message subjects, so you'll focus on the few useful messages it will gather you.
Collapse

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Google Apps - sites Apr 5, 2012

If you have secured your domain name, then you may consider Google Apps. It's free, gives you customized email address as well as let you build website using one of its many templates. HTML knowledge is not required. Updating your website is quite easy too.

Wordpress is also a good option but that requires a hosting service.

[Edited at 2012-04-05 05:38 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it worth having a website for a freelancer?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »