Marketing yourself with an online portfolio - feedback on copyright needed
Thread poster: Karine Larcher

Karine Larcher
France
English to French
Aug 28, 2012

Hello fellow translators,
Being fairly new to translation as a freelancer, I am currently working on my various online profiles (LinkedIn, ProZ) and considering building an independent website to market my services. I noticed that some of you recommend showcasing one's specialties by posting a portfolio/samples of projects they worked on. I wonder what the etiquette is, as far as copyright goes. Do you have to get some sort of written permission from the client who requested the job and now owns it? What about making certain information such as product/company/individuals' names public?
Thanks for any advice you can provide!
Karine

James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Copyright Aug 29, 2012

Larcher Karine wrote:

Hello fellow translators,
Being fairly new to translation as a freelancer, I am currently working on my various online profiles (LinkedIn, ProZ) and considering building an independent website to market my services. I noticed that some of you recommend showcasing one's specialties by posting a portfolio/samples of projects they worked on. I wonder what the etiquette is, as far as copyright goes. Do you have to get some sort of written permission from the client who requested the job and now owns it? What about making certain information such as product/company/individuals' names public?
Thanks for any advice you can provide!
Karine

Hi Larcher,

Welcome to this forum with ProZ.com! It seems that you have already got some relevant information from this forum. Regarding your questions, here I'd like to emphasize the following two points:

1. It is always not appropriate to show any part of your translation unless you get the permission from the outsourcers or the end users. A more practical way is to upload the materials that are already shown to the public, such as the localized text in a website, promotional text in an exhibition hall, etc.

2. The names of a company and its commercial products are mostly OK. But please pay attention not to mentioning the names that are considered to be sensitive, especially the legal ones.

Having a personal web site is certainly helpful to promote your translation business, but uploading the samples should be a bit cautious, you know, so as to avoid the unnecessary troubles.icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

James Xia

Karine Larcher
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 29, 2012

Thank you very much James, for taking the time to answer. My common sense was telling me roughly the same thing. Glad you could confirm.icon_wink.gif

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:10
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Copyright is nothing, it's confidentiality you should worry about Aug 29, 2012

Larcher Karine wrote:
I wonder what the etiquette is, as far as copyright goes. Do you have to get some sort of written permission from the client who requested the job and now owns it? What about making certain information such as product/company/individuals' names public?

In general, don't use samples from actual work as your portfolio translation. Instead, find similar texts with a suitable license, and translate those (e.g. Wikipedia articles).

James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Good idea Aug 30, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

Larcher Karine wrote:
I wonder what the etiquette is, as far as copyright goes. Do you have to get some sort of written permission from the client who requested the job and now owns it? What about making certain information such as product/company/individuals' names public?

In general, don't use samples from actual work as your portfolio translation. Instead, find similar texts with a suitable license, and translate those (e.g. Wikipedia articles).

As a mater of fact, this always works as a safest idea, except for taking some extra time with no pay. But it is worth it, anyway. icon_biggrin.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Marketing yourself with an online portfolio - feedback on copyright needed

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search