List of U.S. professors of Spanish
Thread poster: Reed James

Reed James
Chile
Local time: 21:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 11, 2013

Hi. I would like to compile a list of U.S. professors of Spanish in case I'd like to contact some of them. I haven't found a concise list anywhere online. Does anyone have an idea where I should look? TIA

Reed

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:15
German to English
Try the MLA membership list / AATSP Mar 11, 2013

The Modern Language Association publishes a list of its members, academics in English, Comparative Literature and foreign languages. I just checked, and to access the membership list online, you have to be a member. For all I know, they may still put out a hard copy of the membership roll (haven't been a member for quite a while), but you might only find it at a research library near where you live, or if you can find a member who has a copy.

There's also an Association of American Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese which should have a membership list. However, this organization also includes secondary teachers as well as professors (more of the former than the latter).

Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nowhere Mar 13, 2013

I don't think you'll find a "complete" list anywhere. Not all professors join their associations, so I think the best you can do is find lists of their members. Some countries may have official registries of professors somewhere, but not in the U.S of A. Plus one would need to define "professors," as there are probably more adjunct instructors out there leading beginning Spanish classes than there are full time professors.

Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:15
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Look on the university websites Mar 13, 2013

I think you will have to look at the individual university websites. Then find the Spanish department. There should be a list of professors in the department. I know this is time-consuming but it is most likely the only way to compile such a list.

Reed James
Chile
Local time: 21:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 13, 2013

OK. I'll just keep compiling my list the slow way. Thanks for your input.

Reed

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

List of U.S. professors of Spanish

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search