Perfect competition in markets: A project to map language industry macroeconomics
Thread poster: ExScientiaVera

Faroe Islands
Local time: 06:11
Danish to English
+ ...
May 9, 2013

Mapping market characteristics in the global language industry
I would like to propose a market to start mapping the language industry, to define regions with tools provided macroeconomics, as a way for us to understand our business.
For example, I want to map markets by regions defined by states of perfect competition, monopolistic competition and oligopoly.
Most markets on the global market are perfect competitions, with many competitors offering the same service, diferentiating from each other only with communication stratigies and marketing.
However, an example of monopolistic competition can be found on the Faroe Islands, with few translators, and only one that has any form of ceritification.
I would think there are a few oligoplies as well: Markets were by law only one or two, or a small group is allowed to enter the market.
Which regions share these two last charactertistics?

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Perfect competition in markets: A project to map language industry macroeconomics

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

• All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search