Perfect competition in markets: A project to map language industry macroeconomics
Thread poster: ExScientiaVera

ExScientiaVera
Faroe Islands
Local time: 19:24
Danish to English
+ ...
May 9, 2013

Mapping market characteristics in the global language industry
I would like to propose a market to start mapping the language industry, to define regions with tools provided macroeconomics, as a way for us to understand our business.
For example, I want to map markets by regions defined by states of perfect competition, monopolistic competition and oligopoly.
Most markets on the global market are perfect competitions, with many competitors offering the same service, diferentiating from each other only with communication stratigies and marketing.
However, an example of monopolistic competition can be found on the Faroe Islands, with few translators, and only one that has any form of ceritification.
I would think there are a few oligoplies as well: Markets were by law only one or two, or a small group is allowed to enter the market.
Which regions share these two last charactertistics?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Perfect competition in markets: A project to map language industry macroeconomics

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search