https://www.proz.com/forum/marketing_for_translators/248588-perfect_competition_in_markets_a_project_to_map_language_industry_macroeconomics.html

Perfect competition in markets: A project to map language industry macroeconomics
Thread poster: Peter Smedskjaer-Stenland
Peter Smedskjaer-Stenland
Peter Smedskjaer-Stenland
Faroe Islands
Local time: 13:25
Danish to English
+ ...
May 9, 2013

Mapping market characteristics in the global language industry
I would like to propose a market to start mapping the language industry, to define regions with tools provided macroeconomics, as a way for us to understand our business.
For example, I want to map markets by regions defined by states of perfect competition, monopolistic competition and oligopoly.
Most markets on the global market are perfect competitions, with many competitors offering the same service, diferentiat
... See more
Mapping market characteristics in the global language industry
I would like to propose a market to start mapping the language industry, to define regions with tools provided macroeconomics, as a way for us to understand our business.
For example, I want to map markets by regions defined by states of perfect competition, monopolistic competition and oligopoly.
Most markets on the global market are perfect competitions, with many competitors offering the same service, diferentiating from each other only with communication stratigies and marketing.
However, an example of monopolistic competition can be found on the Faroe Islands, with few translators, and only one that has any form of ceritification.
I would think there are a few oligoplies as well: Markets were by law only one or two, or a small group is allowed to enter the market.
Which regions share these two last charactertistics?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Perfect competition in markets: A project to map language industry macroeconomics

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »