Mutual introductions to Legal, Marketing and Life Sciences translation clients
Thread poster: Pavel Zalutski

Pavel Zalutski  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:48
English to Russian
+ ...
Sep 20, 2013

Hello, I'm looking for fellow non-Russian translators who might need to be introduced to translation agency clients that I already work with and know as great clients in the areas of Law, Marketing, and Life Sciences translation. In return, my fellow translator would introduce me to their translation agency clients.

I'm looking for non-Russian translators so that we don't compete for the same clients in the same language pairs.

I'm looking for meaningful introductions and to agencies that specialize in Law, Marketing, and Life Sciences. Only agencies that you know, from continuous experience, as great to work with in terms of relationships, volumes, and payment terms. Introductions to specific people able to get your jobs.

My fellow translator would need to judge my profile to know whether they find it worthwhile introducing me to their valuable contacts. I would make the same judgment about my fellow translator.

If you're interested in helping each other expand our clientele, contact me by email at zalutski at gmail dot com, and please include a link to your information. Hope we can help each other. Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:48
Russian to English
+ ...
I think it sounds a little bit like favoritism, Sep 20, 2013

without any offense. First I misunderstood your post, and I thought you were looking for non-Russian translators who translated from Russian. Still is is very hard to introduce anyone to any clients unless you know the person for a long time, and know their work well.

You have quite an impressive resume, but no work samples. I think if you add that many clients will find you by themselves. They even contact people with less detailed profiles. Good luck.

[Edited at 2013-09-20 09:37 GMT]

Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:48
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I would only introduce people Sep 20, 2013

who I knew to be reliable and who I knew not to be trouble-makers, none of which can be determined from someone's profile. Sometimes, recommendations can come back to bite you.
Equally, I don't consider being recommended to other agenices as being of particular value. You can check out the blue board to see agencies that are recommended, not just by one, but by very many translators, and then contact the agencies direct. The agency will probably have its internal procedures anyway for selecting freelance translators and a recommendation by another translator is unlikely to be able to circumvent that.

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:48
English to Portuguese
+ ...
On introducing troublemakers Sep 20, 2013

Marie-Helene Dubois wrote:

I would only introduce people who I knew to be reliable and who I knew not to be trouble-makers

I had a client who kept me very busy for some 20 years in a row, they accounted for a significant part of my income. Now their market has changed, they downsized significantly. Most of it was video translation for high-quality dubbing.

Anyway, whenever I took a vacation, no matter how short, they had to find someone to step in. In most cases, it was a disaster, I had to redo their work on my return. No, I'm not the world's best, nor cheap. My take is that they were plain unlucky.

Yet once, about midway on those two decades, I left on vacation, and they found a really good one! Her work was as good as mine for what they needed. And later I found out she could work into and out of ES as well, something I can't, and that specific client didn't need anyway. I also discovered that she was thoroughly qualified to do into and out of DE as well, but she said she'd never want to.

However she was a five-star troublemaker. Every year, when I returned from my vacation I saw her pristine work, but had to hear stories of her always loud arguments in the client's offices.

Being in Latin America, I often get requests for video translation into both PT and ES. So I took the PT jobs, and referred the ES part to her. Every client I did so, some time later, would call me rather meekly asking "Would you have anyone else?". Quite frankly, I didn't have anyone as good as her.

Nevertheless I kept on referring clients to her, until I became her client myself, just once. A client of mine hired me for a turn-key DVD translated and subtitled in both PT and ES. They would pay anything reasonable to have it done over a weekend. They sent me the video on a Friday afternoon, and someone would drive by my place to pick up that DVD Monday morning, on their way to the airport. That person would be bringing cash to pay for the job.

I had agreed with that translator that I'd deposit the payment to her bank (different from mine) on that very Monday. Saturday night, she demanded that I withdrew cash (that I hadn't received yet) from an ATM and brought it to her place, otherwise she wouldn't release the translation. Long haggling over the phone, until she finally agreed to be paid on Monday, and e-mailed me her translation. Take into consideration that we had been working together for some 6-7 years already.

I paid her exactly as agreed, assured her that she'd never be bothered again by me or any clients of mine, and have kept my promise.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mutual introductions to Legal, Marketing and Life Sciences translation clients

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search