https://www.proz.com/forum/marketing_for_translators/257351-did_you_try_linkedins_inmail.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Did you try LinkedIn's InMail?
Thread poster: Alain Alameddine
Alain Alameddine
Alain Alameddine  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 08:49
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Oct 4, 2013

Hi everyone,

Did any of you ever try using LinkedIn's InMails to meet up with potential clients? If so, would you recommend it? Please share your experiences

Alain

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
We've discussed this before Oct 4, 2013

I suggest you try doing a search. I've been reading all the previous posts recently, and the consensus seems to be that InMails are not worth it, though I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's used them successfully.

Alain Alameddine
Lebanon
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 5, 2013

Thank Phil! I'll look the other discussions up.

Update: I looked them on ProZ but I couldn't find anything Any links?

Alain

[Edited at 2013-10-05 19:45 GMT]

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:49
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
They don't reply to Inmails Oct 5, 2013

So far I have sent 2 or 3 Inmails to potential clients. The result is that they don't reply.

Hope this helps.

Alain Alameddine
Lebanon
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Did you get your InMails back? Oct 5, 2013

Hi Sarah,

I recall that LinkedIn gives you your "InMail credit" back for every InMail that goes unanswered in 7 days. Has it been the case with you?

Alain

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Alain Oct 5, 2013

Just enter "LinkedIn" in the "search this forum" box. For example:
http://www.proz.com/forum/marketing_for_translators/235432-marketing_on_linkedin:_paid_for_options.html

dropinka (X)
dropinka (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
It worked for me Oct 6, 2013

I've been a premium user for over a year and InMail helped me acquire new clients. However, the most interesting contacts were prospects contacting me via LinkedIn rather than me reaching out to them.

Claudia

[Edited at 2013-10-06 07:20 GMT]

Alain Alameddine
Lebanon
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do InMails really offer some added value? Oct 6, 2013

Interesting - Did InMail offer you something "normal" emails couldn't have offered you?

Alain

dropinka (X)
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
InMails are emails to people outside your network Oct 6, 2013

If you have a basic account, you cannot send messages to people outside your network of connections. You would have to add them first, wait for them to accept the invitation to connect, and then send them a message. Provided that they accept your invitation to connect, of course.

With a premium account (and InMails), you can email people you are not connected with. If they don't reply to your email within one week, you get "InMail credit" back.

Claudia

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
I think what Alain was asking... Oct 6, 2013

... is why can't you just forget LinkedIn and email them direct?

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
@Phil Oct 6, 2013

philgoddard wrote:

The most likely reason is that their e-mail addresses are not published elsewhere or otherwise known to you, while you know that InMail will be forwarded to them.

dropinka (X)
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Exactly Oct 6, 2013

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

philgoddard wrote:

The most likely reason is that their e-mail addresses are not published elsewhere or otherwise known to you, while you know that InMail will be forwarded to them.

If you don't have their email addresses or don't even know their names (let's say you want to get in touch with the marketing director of a company and you have no clue what his/her name is), you most certainly do not want to send an email to [email protected]. You can look these people up on LinkedIn and send them a message (InMail).

Claudia

[Edited at 2013-10-06 16:16 GMT]

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Oct 6, 2013

But you can Google them.

dropinka (X)
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
One does not exclude the other! Oct 6, 2013

philgoddard wrote:

But you can Google them.

Of course you can always Google them, but you may not be able to find their email addresses. Besides, I personally find it very convenient to contact people from my LinkedIn profile, where they can get an overview of who I am, what I do and what clients say about me. LinkedIn is just one of the tools we have -- there's people who prefer making cold calls, for that matter. I prefer trying to reach out to them via LinkedIn first.

Claudia

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Hone your LinkedIn "elevator pitch" Oct 7, 2013

Inviting someone to connect is free, and you have 200 characters to use as an introduction. It's not a lot, but should be enough if your message is crafted tightly enough. I know you're theoretically not supposed to invite people you don't already know outside of LinkedIn, but judging the odd assortment of invitations I regularly receive, everybody does it. Most don't seem to bother with using the invite character allotment at all -- they just send the invite, so a personal invite message alone ... See more
Inviting someone to connect is free, and you have 200 characters to use as an introduction. It's not a lot, but should be enough if your message is crafted tightly enough. I know you're theoretically not supposed to invite people you don't already know outside of LinkedIn, but judging the odd assortment of invitations I regularly receive, everybody does it. Most don't seem to bother with using the invite character allotment at all -- they just send the invite, so a personal invite message alone would probably get somebody's attention.Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Did you try LinkedIn's InMail?

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »