Question: Best practice
Thread poster: dkalmodovar

dkalmodovar
United States
Local time: 09:48
Nov 7, 2013

Our company is on its way toward going global and we've recently begun adding translated elements across all departments.

My question is the following:

If a monolingual English-language newsletter is going out to our public, but the marketing team wants to point out that there are SOME products available in Spanish, do they translate the small description of the product? This means only 2 sentences in the entire newsletter would be in Spanish.

My argument is that if a Spanish-only reader who needs the product has to sift through 10 pages in English to find a small blurb...then it's useless. I suggest just noting that the product is available in Spanish, perhaps with a logo stating, "¡En español!".

Is there a best practice for global marketing and translation?

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:48
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
:) Nov 8, 2013

IMHO it is best to have the entire newsletter in the respective language of the audience you are trying to reach. In your case this would be English and Spanish.

There is hardly anybody who would go through a newsletter written in a language s/he doesn't speak just to possibly be detecting something written in her/his language without any hint that such a paragraph does exist.

Much success!icon_wink.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question: Best practice

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search