Stock Photos
Thread poster: DLyons

DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 09:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 23, 2014

Over on LinkedIn there is a plague of scammers using "bimbobots" (attractive, usually female, photos ripped off from stock images, web sites, real people) and given random new names.

Fortunately, ProZ doesn't suffer as much. But I have come across Featured Translators (both male and female) whom I suspect might be doing something similar with their 'photos. For example, there's someone who is variously Daria, Catarina and Stephanie on xing, Sibylla on a German site and yet another name on ProZ.

Caveat Emptoricon_smile.gif


 

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:14
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Indeed Aug 23, 2014

Yes - I know of one who does this. I know what she looks like in real life, but her ID photo on Proz is certainly not her.

[Edited at 2014-08-23 19:51 GMT]


 

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
. Aug 23, 2014

There was someone going by the name of Edward Mahana who got booted off ProZ for stealing other people's sample translations (including mine). He or she used a stock photograph of a very distinguished-looking silverhaired man in front of a bookcase that turned out to be all over the internet.

Why do people do this? Most of us have at least one vaguely flattering photo we can use, rather than hiding behind someone else's.


 

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:14
Member (2008)
Italian to English
So...? Aug 23, 2014

philgoddard wrote:

There was someone going by the name of Edward Mahana who got booted off ProZ for stealing other people's sample translations (including mine). He or she used a stock photograph of a very distinguished-looking silverhaired man in front of a bookcase that turned out to be all over the internet.

Why do people do this? Most of us have at least one vaguely flattering photo we can use, rather than hiding behind someone else's.


So Phil: where's your vaguely flattering photo?

icon_smile.gif


 

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Local time: 10:14
Member
Catalan to English
+ ...
Erm..... Aug 24, 2014

philgoddard wrote:
Why do people do this? Most of us have at least one vaguely flattering photo we can use, (....).


Speak for yourself icon_smile.gif 'Pool's enough for me.


 

Susana Cid Díaz  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Me too... Aug 24, 2014

DLyons wrote:

Over on LinkedIn there is a plague of scammers using "bimbobots" (attractive, usually female, photos ripped off from stock images, web sites, real people) and given random new names.

Fortunately, ProZ doesn't suffer as much. But I have come across Featured Translators (both male and female) whom I suspect might be doing something similar with their 'photos. For example, there's someone who is variously Daria, Catarina and Stephanie on xing, Sibylla on a German site and yet another name on ProZ.

Caveat Emptoricon_smile.gif


I used a picture of a bimbo, myself. Actually, I took the picture of a super model.... can't you tell?? (hi hi hi!icon_smile.gif)


 

DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 09:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Eat your heart out Gisele Aug 24, 2014

Susana Cid Díaz wrote:

I used a picture of a bimbo, myself. Actually, I took the picture of a super model.... can't you tell?? (hi hi hi!icon_smile.gif)


icon_smile.gif


 

Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:14
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
A thought Aug 24, 2014

Does having a photograph with one's profile (whether flattering or otherwise) actually make any difference to views/responses/job offers, does anyone know?
My photo is me, a nice one, natch, and hence rather dimly lit, but someone here once suggested it looked like a "stock" photo. Should I be flattered - or annoyed?


 

DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 09:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Who knows? Aug 24, 2014

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Does having a photograph with one's profile (whether flattering or otherwise) actually make any difference to views/responses/job offers, does anyone know?
My photo is me, a nice one, natch, and hence rather dimly lit, but someone here once suggested it looked like a "stock" photo. Should I be flattered - or annoyed?


If it's an Agency they probably just want your "best rate".

FWIW, your photo resembles (to Google) Mia Wasikowska - which is probably good.
And one of the Pope kissing a baby - go figureicon_smile.gif


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Stock Photos

Advanced search







SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search