LinkedIn - Adding contacts
Thread poster: Ana Vozone

Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:31
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 20, 2014

Hello, everyone,

I am being contacted by people asking me to add them to my LinkedIn profile, but in most cases I do not know these people, nor is their professional area remotely linked to what I do.

What are your criteria for adding people to your profile?

How useful do you think is LinkedIn for one's own business?

Many thanks for your views!

Have a lovely weekend!
Ana


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:31
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I ignore them Sep 20, 2014

Ana Vozone wrote:

Hello, everyone,

I am being contacted by people asking me to add them to my LinkedIn profile, but in most cases I do not know these people, nor is their professional area remotely linked to what I do.

What are your criteria for adding people to your profile?

How useful do you think is LinkedIn for one's own business?

Many thanks for your views!

Have a lovely weekend!
Ana


I ignore them- the people themselves are not doing anything. THis is LinkedIn's automated system spying on you to see if you know them.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:31
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Just move on Sep 20, 2014

My procedure with this type of requests is quite simply, I don't know them, I don't add them.

There are people who wander through cyber space to add as many people as they can to their network - without knowing the people they want to add, or, even worse, without any serious intention to get to know these people; a phenomenom widely spread on certain social networks to have as many "friends" as possible. Probably cause it looks good and makes them (the adder) look popular. Although I wonder how a total stranger can be a "friend". Hmmm.

[Edited at 2014-09-20 11:04 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:31
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... but Sep 20, 2014

Thank you, Tom, Thayenga, for your replies, but do you see any advantage in having an 'active' profile on LinkedIn?

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 09:31
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I ignore most of them Sep 20, 2014

I'm pretty selective in who I accept invitations from in LinkedIn. If it is someone who works at the Institution I worked for 20 years (I’m retired now), I will accept the invitation whether I know them personally or not. Otherwise, I only accept from people I feel have a professional affinity with me.

PS I must confess that I haven’t given much attention to my LinkedIn profile until now...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:31
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
adding people Sep 20, 2014

Tom in London wrote:

Ana Vozone wrote:

Hello, everyone,

I am being contacted by people asking me to add them to my LinkedIn profile, but in most cases I do not know these people, nor is their professional area remotely linked to what I do.

What are your criteria for adding people to your profile?

How useful do you think is LinkedIn for one's own business?

Many thanks for your views!

Have a lovely weekend!
Ana


I ignore them- the people themselves are not doing anything. THis is LinkedIn's automated system spying on you to see if you know them.


That's true Tom and Ana. Another thing they do is the "Someone has see your profile" and then they offer their Premium account. It is awkward sometimes when I receive a confirmation that someone else accepted my invitation when I did not invite anyone. I have written to them three times, but got no replies.



[Edited at 2014-09-20 11:17 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-09-20 11:17 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:31
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Advantages Sep 20, 2014

Ana Vozone wrote:

Thank you, Tom, Thayenga, for your replies, but do you see any advantage in having an 'active' profile on LinkedIn?



Hi Ana,

there are people who do/generate business on LinkedIn, but that's "hear-say". If you want advantages through your profile there, then I pressume that you need to upgrade your account, become a Premium-member. How much good that will do you, I don't know. Perhaps our colleagues have different experiences.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jennifer Barnett  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:31
Dutch to English
+ ...
advantages but you have to 'work' for them Sep 22, 2014

I have got work through LinedIn but only by joining groups and either promoting/offering my services or by contributing to group discussions.

Direct link Reply with quote
 
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Whenever we've discussed this in the past Sep 22, 2014

The consensus has been (a) you can get jobs from LinkedIn if you work at it, and (b) a premium account is a waste of money.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
The same could be said for most social-ish sites Sep 23, 2014

philgoddard wrote:

The consensus has been (a) you can get jobs from LinkedIn if you work at it, and (b) a premium account is a waste of money.


I have a good network of translators and end clients on LinkedIn. I feel that it has been a good investment of my time, not only for the translation projects that make it to my inbox, but because of the industry news and updates. The same could be said of facebook and Twitter, it's really just a question of the time and effort you put into them. Personally, I am finding more and better paid work there than I am here.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Thomas Seligmann  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 10:31
French to English
+ ...
Ignore if irrelevant but consider if related to your line of work Jan 11, 2015

Apologies for commenting so long after the original post.

I have also had many people requesting to add me on LinkedIn, many of whom I don't know. If they're not in the slightest related to anything I do, I ignore them, but if they're in the translation industry, I accept them as you never know when the contact might be helpful.

I've had two firm in-house job offers and picked up freelance work through LinkedIn contacts whom I don't personally know.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

LinkedIn - Adding contacts

Advanced search







Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search