Site members using pictures of other people as profile pictures
Thread poster: DLyons

DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 20:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 3, 2015

I've noticed quite a few recent postings by a user whose 'photo generates a lot of positive feedback. Unfortunately, it's that of an actress from Vancouver, Michelle Borromeo and is on the Web under a Creative Commons licence which requires attribution for re-use. No such attribution is given.

I've also seen Paul Newman, George Clooney and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gao_Yuanyuan in the last few days apparently needing to supplement their meagre income from acting with some translation work.

Professional translators, of all people, should have an appreciation of copyright violation!

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Professional? Feb 3, 2015

There are many people here who are not professional translators, although they would like to make you think they are. There are also some who are not too good looking, although they would like to make you think they are.

Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately very true. Feb 3, 2015

Henry Hinds wrote:

There are many people here who are not professional translators, although they would like to make you think they are.

Yup. And looks shouldn't matter when professional work is involved.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
They can always hide the truth Feb 3, 2015

Henry Hinds wrote:
There are many people here who are not professional translators, although they would like to make you think they are. There are also some who are not too good looking, although they would like to make you think they are.

Well, they aren't forced to publish a photo at all; and although replacing it with a photo of a cuddly toy, a pet or a kid may not be a great idea, a logo works fine as a replacement. Also, if they don't have real experience or qualifications then they can just say how motivated they are.

But surely they have no right to steal from anybody else, whether it's from a fellow translator, a famous person, or a neighbour. I'd say this practice is a scam, and scammers should be reported to ProZ.com staff and chucked off the site.

The Misha
Local time: 15:43
Russian to English
+ ...
Hey, maybe they are doing us all a favor. Feb 3, 2015

Sometimes I am browsing and looking at pictures that are apparently the real deal and thinking, oh boy... Not that I am particularly good looking myself - I am not - and I am sure my age is all too obvious too. That's why I try not to burden anyone with the sorry sight of my unshaven mug. On second thought, maybe I should become... that bald British dude that plays the Transporter? The Governator (yeah, right)? Justin Bieber? Maybe that. Maybe my teenage daughter will like me better then.

Relax, everyone. Really, who cares?

Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My original title contained the word "scam" :-) Feb 3, 2015

Sheila Wilson wrote:

But surely they have no right to steal from anybody else, whether it's from a fellow translator, a famous person, or a neighbour. I'd say this practice is a scam, and scammers should be reported to ProZ.com staff and chucked off the site.

I agree Sheila. I created two support calls which were closed almost instantaneously as "Appropriate action has been taken". So perhaps two wrists have been slapped, but I wonder what the outcome will be.

Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I care about the copyright violation. Feb 3, 2015

The Misha wrote:

Relax, everyone. Really, who cares?

I don't care that they look younger and more beautiful than me - that's easily doneicon_smile.gif
Even their real 'photo would work.

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Old thread from 2009 - same topic Feb 4, 2015

http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translator_coop/137324-seeking_opinions_about_profile_pictures.html

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What happened after that old thread Feb 4, 2015

Some time after that old thread I linked above, the profile updater was modified, and now it includes this statement, that must be checked when you upload a profile picture.

"I certify that the image I am uploading is mine to distribute and does not infringe on any copyrights. Profile logos which infringe on copyright, or are considered obscene or offensive, will be removed by site staff."

Bo Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 04:43
Member (2014)
English to Chinese
+ ...
celebrity Feb 4, 2015

It is not uncommon some people like using celebrity pictures in their website profile to idolize them.

Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very interesting Feb 4, 2015

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

Some time after that old thread I linked above, the profile updater was modified, and now it includes this statement, that must be checked when you upload a profile picture.

"I certify that the image I am uploading is mine to distribute and does not infringe on any copyrights. Profile logos which infringe on copyright, or are considered obscene or offensive, will be removed by site staff."

That was well done. So these people are clearly in violation of site rules!

I see that one of the two profiles about which I submitted support requests has been changed. Michelle Borromeo still remains.

And re the original thread, there's still someone who looks a lot like a photoshopped Kevin Spacey. But I'm sure Kevin's lawyers are well capable of defending their man.

[Edited at 2015-02-04 04:55 GMT]

564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 21:43
Danish to English
+ ...
ProZ police action now? Feb 4, 2015

Wouldn't it be simpler - and kinder - to simply contact those naughty people and in a collegial way make them aware of the problem?

I know of one of those people you refer to, and really, it is just for a bit of a laugh. Why this fuss?

Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I regard copyright as a serious issue and I imagine you do too. Feb 4, 2015

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:

Wouldn't it be simpler - and kinder - to simply contact those naughty people and in a collegial way make them aware of the problem?

I know of one of those people you refer to, and really, it is just for a bit of a laugh. Why this fuss?

These people claim to be professionals, but are infringing on other people's valid copyrights.

They have given an undertaking to ProZ and are in breach of it "I certify that the image I am uploading is mine to distribute and does not infringe on any copyrights. Profile logos which infringe on copyright, or are considered obscene or offensive, will be removed by site staff."

Site staff have given an undertaking to remove images which infringe on copyright and presumably will do that (and have a legal obligation to do it, irrespective of any undertaking).

"Naughty" is a interesting diminutizing word! OTOH, "police action" is very dramatic for something any publisher is obliged to do.

P.S. I have made one them very aware of the problem - total non-response. This is not my problem, but I dislike seeing genuine issues swept under the carpet.

[Edited at 2015-02-04 08:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-02-04 08:09 GMT]

jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Interesting Feb 4, 2015

How did you notice this Chinese actress?

I know a CHINESE translator used her picture long time ago and I just didn't have the courage to point it out.

Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Check their profile again. Feb 4, 2015

jyuan_us wrote:

How did you notice this Chinese actress?

I know a CHINESE translator used her picture long time ago and I just didn't have the courage to point it out.

It may now be sortedicon_smile.gif

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Site members using pictures of other people as profile pictures

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search