Translator websites - what kind of images to use?
Thread poster: Elisa Fernández Vic
Elisa Fernández Vic
Elisa Fernández Vic  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:43
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 18, 2015

Hello everybody!
I'm working on my translator website - just keeping it simple for the moment, with a basic Home/ Services / About me / Contact layout. I'm using a Wordpress theme that requires a big image for the front page, and I'm struggling a bit with this. I have been looking at free stock photo sites, but most 'office desk' type images feel a bit too stilted and stock-y, if you know what I mean. I would also like some kind of icons for the different services on my Services page, and
... See more
Hello everybody!
I'm working on my translator website - just keeping it simple for the moment, with a basic Home/ Services / About me / Contact layout. I'm using a Wordpress theme that requires a big image for the front page, and I'm struggling a bit with this. I have been looking at free stock photo sites, but most 'office desk' type images feel a bit too stilted and stock-y, if you know what I mean. I would also like some kind of icons for the different services on my Services page, and I'm not sure where to start with those.
For those of you that have wonderful-looking translator websites, how did you go about choosing images for them? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Some options Feb 18, 2015

When in doubt, use a self portrait

You could move away from office images and try something related to your specialties. If you can add an alt text to the image, that's even better as naming the image as something related to your fields and translation could help your search engine ratings.

Icons are a little trickier since some companies want you to only use certain styles or images to represent them (F
... See more
When in doubt, use a self portrait

You could move away from office images and try something related to your specialties. If you can add an alt text to the image, that's even better as naming the image as something related to your fields and translation could help your search engine ratings.

Icons are a little trickier since some companies want you to only use certain styles or images to represent them (Facebook and Twitter, for example). That's one reason why there aren't as many variations of those icons. If you're looking for generic/nonspecific icons, like email and a calendar, either make sure that they are not copyrighted or make your own (or hire someone to make them - like my wife haha).

Just remember that everything needs to support your overall goal with the site. So, what kind of images or icons will help you get your visitors to contact you? Where are the best places to put them? Could they hinder the visitor in any way?

If you're looking for other free images, you can do a google or Bing search. There's an option under the image search that says something like usage rights or something along those lines. Set that to free to use commercially and you should be Safe using those images that pop up, unless it's something that is clearly copyrighted.
Collapse

anamaria bulgariu
anamaria bulgariu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 11:43
Member (2007)
English to Romanian
+ ...
If you want to do it yourself Feb 18, 2015

www.canva.com

This is the best resource possible for most basic design needs.

Enjoy!

Hanna Sles (X)
Hanna Sles (X)
United States
Local time: 11:43
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
thank you for the tool Feb 19, 2015

anamaria bulgariu wrote:

www.canva.com

This is the best resource possible for most basic design needs.

Enjoy!

This is fantastic! Thank you, Annamaria for this link!

Do you know any other links where one can create animated videos?
or any tool to create .gif images?

thank you in advance

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator websites - what kind of images to use?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »