https://www.proz.com/forum/marketing_for_translators/293444-what_do_you_put_in_your_email_signature.html

Off topic: What do you put in your email signature?
Thread poster: Jenny Nilsson
Jenny Nilsson
Jenny Nilsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 23:19
English to Swedish
Oct 19, 2015

In my email signature I have my name and title (translator) and also my website and email. All in text, nothing fancy. I was thinking of sprucing it up a bit. Is it a good idea? Does it matter? Do people look at signatures anymore?

What do you put in your signature and what do you find important?

Katherinne Cadiz
Katherinne Cadiz
Chile
Local time: 17:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
You may add some important information Oct 19, 2015

Hi!!

Sometimes clients are a bit lazy so they don't always go to the "contact" page on your web site. So you may add a Skype address, and a cell phone number for WhatsApp and Line, to give faster quotes.

Luiza Tinetti

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:19
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mine Oct 19, 2015

Mine says:

Rachel Waddington MITI
Engineering and Renewable Energy Translations
Tel: xxxxx

I think it gives agencies a reminder of what my areas actually are (so they think of me when 50,000 words of wind turbine specifications come in), and lets other people in my life know what I do just in case they know someone who needs a translation.

Luiza Tinetti

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Good question, Jenny Oct 19, 2015

I think that the way you present your signature is a bit like what your visit card should look like. When you have a fancy card, this tells people that you have a serious attitude towards the way you present yourself. This is why I think a good design of the signature is essential.

I personally haven't put my email in the signature, as the recipient already knows it when (s)he receives a message from you.

Here are screenshots of my email signatures (of course, ignore t
... See more
I think that the way you present your signature is a bit like what your visit card should look like. When you have a fancy card, this tells people that you have a serious attitude towards the way you present yourself. This is why I think a good design of the signature is essential.

I personally haven't put my email in the signature, as the recipient already knows it when (s)he receives a message from you.

Here are screenshots of my email signatures (of course, ignore the spellchecker squiggles):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BywczCTR0LxPVjFBeWx1UUx1ZlU/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BywczCTR0LxPVkdjSVpmeVFiams/view?usp=sharing

Please note that the logo and buttons are clickable and redirect to the respective link.
Collapse

Jenny Nilsson
Jenny Nilsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Making it memorable Oct 19, 2015

Hi Ekaterina! We emailed last week so you have actually seen my signature. It probably didn't catch your attention.

Ekaterina Kroumova wrote:
I think a good design of the signature is essential.

I think that I would like to make my signature more memorable without being too cluttered. Thanks for showing me your sigs for inspiration.

[Redigerad 2015-10-19 18:21 GMT]

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:19
English to French
+ ...
Standard Oct 19, 2015

[Usual blabla]

[First name only or Full name and phone number]

Please note that, save special circumstances, we consider the use of e-mail as an adequate means of communication, equivalent to regular mail. The information contained in this message and any attachment is confidential and intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s). Unauthorized reproduction and/or distribution is prohibited. In case of a transmittal error, please delete
... See more
[Usual blabla]

[First name only or Full name and phone number]

Please note that, save special circumstances, we consider the use of e-mail as an adequate means of communication, equivalent to regular mail. The information contained in this message and any attachment is confidential and intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s). Unauthorized reproduction and/or distribution is prohibited. In case of a transmittal error, please delete any such document received, including any attachment, without doing or saving any copy.
The Internet can not guarantee the integrity of this message; we shall (will) not therefore be liable for the message if modified. Although we attempt to sweep e-mail and attachments for viruses, we do not guarantee that either are virus-free and accept no liability for any damage sustained as a result of viruses.

If you are having issues opening a Microsoft Office file, please click on the following link to download the Office "Compatibility Pack" needed:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/default.aspx
Collapse

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Clever Oct 20, 2015

Rachel Waddington wrote:

Mine says:

Rachel Waddington MITI
Engineering and Renewable Energy Translations
Tel: xxxxx

I think it gives agencies a reminder of what my areas actually are (so they think of me when 50,000 words of wind turbine specifications come in), and lets other people in my life know what I do just in case they know someone who needs a translation.

I really like the idea of the one-line description of your specialty subjects.

My own signature currently contains the following info:

Company logo
Gitte Hovedskov BA MA MCIL
address
address
address
T: xxx
M: xxx
E: xxx

Sometimes, I think it is useful to make it clear where in the world we are, either to stress a local connection, or to indicate our country of residence. In my own signature, that could probably be shortened...

I find disclaimers and environmental responsibility messages quite patronising and a waste of space. Besides, if, like me, you tend to use the 'reply' function for an entire email exchange from initial enquiry through to delivery of a job, all that additional info becomes really annoying as you have to scroll past it over and over again. (The same goes for my own too-long signature, I can see that now).

And personally, I don't like to put ads (for Studio or whatever) in every letter I send to a client. Nor do I like childish-looking telephone icons in bright colours. Sort of takes away from the professional image I try to convey.

Interesting question, I think. I often find it strange when people contact me for the first time with an email that is signed with their name only. That works fine with friends, but not in business exchanges.

For the first introduction, I really like to see name, title, company name, address, telephone no. and website address, at the very least. For clients, I like to see a VAT registration no. as well. All the information I need to do my own research about the company and to issue invoices.

P.S. I also think it is worth remembering the old saying that, 'you never get a second chance to make a first impression'.

[Edited at 2015-10-20 05:26 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Art Oct 20, 2015

I had a picture of the Mona Lisa, indistinguishable from the original, made entirely out of punctuation signs.

But turned out it'd already been done, so now I'm working on an animated version that burps out a speech bubble saying "Chris is the best".

It's important to stand out from the crowd.

Dani Karuniawan
Dani Karuniawan  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 04:19
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Know your client habits Oct 20, 2015

Jenny Nilsson wrote:

In my email signature I have my name and title (translator) and also my website and email. All in text, nothing fancy. I was thinking of sprucing it up a bit. Is it a good idea? Does it matter? Do people look at signatures anymore?

What do you put in your signature and what do you find important?

I just put my name, tagline, and phone number!

Ex:

DANI***********
EASE********
0853********

Most of my clients (end users) open email via smartphone or tablet, instead of desktop or laptop. I think, I need to put my phone number so that they can contact me easily.

[Edited at 2015-10-20 07:44 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No Oct 20, 2015

Jenny Nilsson wrote:

Does it matter? Do people look at signatures any....more?

No and no.

I don't have one.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Those kids start earlier and earlier Oct 20, 2015

Chris S wrote:

I had a picture of the Mona Lisa, indistinguishable from the original, made entirely out of punctuation signs.

But turned out it'd already been done, so now I'm working on an animated version that burps out a speech bubble saying "Chris is the best".

It's important to stand out from the crowd.

I am constantly amazed at how well 10-year-olds do in business these days...

[Edited at 2015-10-20 12:14 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Concise and informative? Oct 21, 2015

Sheila Wilson
Naturally In English
Freelance English editor and French translator
http://www.proz.com/profile/630232
Certified%20PROs.jpg

The bottom line actually displays as the ProZ "P" badge. I'd have liked to use a link to my own website instead but I've now
... See more
Sheila Wilson
Naturally In English
Freelance English editor and French translator
http://www.proz.com/profile/630232
Certified%20PROs.jpg

The bottom line actually displays as the ProZ "P" badge. I'd have liked to use a link to my own website instead but I've now, at the age of 60 and with a solid client base, come to terms with not going down that road. If I were younger...

I don't know if it's an age thing but I would never think of putting my address, phone number, Skype ID etc on my email signature. I send emails to hundreds (thousands?) of people that I don't know. Those personal details are reserved for a 'need to know' readership. A potential client may get my phone and Skype details, but only after having exchanged a few emails and arranging to speak. My address is only available on the invoice.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Sometimes Oct 21, 2015

sometimes I just type at the end of an email:

"Not sent from an iPhone"

or

"Not sent from an iPad"

I mean - who cares?

And while we're on the subject: will anyone who puts a sign (in any language) on the back of their car saying BABY ON BOARD please stop?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you put in your email signature?

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »