https://www.proz.com/forum/marketing_for_translators/311441-having_your_web_site_designed.html

Having your web site designed
Thread poster: Fausto Mescolini
Fausto Mescolini
Fausto Mescolini  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:38
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 2, 2017

Hi,
I would like to know your experiences with web-designing agencies (I don't have time to redesign my site by myself), in particular with bonline.com.
Thank you

Phrase9
Phrase9  Identity Verified
South Africa
Arabic to English
youglobalize Feb 2, 2017

try www.youglobalize.com

Its one of the easiest, attractive and most affordable DIY website builder out there

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:38
Italian to English
I guess it depends on the agency Feb 2, 2017

My feeling is that it depends on the agency, and there must be as many satisfied as dissatisfied users who've had their site designed. I used the services of a site designer in the past and wasn't particularly happy, but that was my fault for not communicating clearly enough what I wanted from the outset, and not speaking up when I wasn't happy with the end result.

You say you don't have the time to design it yourself: my feeling is that once you've decided the look you want, the im
... See more
My feeling is that it depends on the agency, and there must be as many satisfied as dissatisfied users who've had their site designed. I used the services of a site designer in the past and wasn't particularly happy, but that was my fault for not communicating clearly enough what I wanted from the outset, and not speaking up when I wasn't happy with the end result.

You say you don't have the time to design it yourself: my feeling is that once you've decided the look you want, the images and text you want to use, the pages you want to include and how the information is to be divided among them, your work is practically done! You need to be clear on all these aspects to give the agency the tools they need to do the job - why not take that information and design your own site?

I used the paid version of Wix (although I'm sure there are many other sites like it) for my site, and I'm very happy with the result. I found the software intuitive and user-friendly, I also like the fact that I can update and change the site when I please, without having to rely on (or pay!!!) someone else to do it.

Best of luck with your decision.

[Edited at 2017-02-02 11:51 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Their portfolio says... nope. Feb 2, 2017

Fausto Mescolini wrote:
...in particular with bonline.com.

They show some examples of the web sites that they built. Have a look to see if you're interested. I checked out a few of those examples and I was not impressed.

Fausto Mescolini
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why not? Feb 2, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

They show some examples of the web sites that they built. Have a look to see if you're interested. I checked out a few of those examples and I was not impressed.

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Why not use a freelancer? Feb 2, 2017

I had a freelance web designer do my site and was very happy with the results. Why not find a freelancer in your local area to do it? It can be done remotely but I found meeting with my designer in person to discuss what I wanted was a good approach.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Why not Feb 2, 2017

Fausto Mescolini wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
I checked out a few of those examples and I was not impressed.

Why not?

Capture-1

Capture-2

Some of the other sample sites are of good standard, however.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Don't do it Feb 2, 2017

Fausto Mescolini wrote:

Hi,
I would like to know your experiences with web-designing agencies (I don't have time to redesign my site by myself), in particular with bonline.com.
Thank you

I once hired a firm to do my website for me because I thought it would look good and save time. Boy, was I wrong! I had to work very hard to supply them with all the text and illustrations, and they kept making mistakes transcribing my text into another format they wanted to use. It took WEEKS and cost me a FORTUNE. And then I had to pay them for hosting it. Money down the drain.

Whatever you do, don't use stock photographs of dynamic, ethnically diverse thirty-somethings looking dynamic in a business environment. That's cheesy.

[Edited at 2017-02-02 16:49 GMT]

Eric Stone
Eric Stone
Taiwan
Local time: 19:38
Chinese to English
I designed my own, but if you don't feel you can do this Feb 10, 2017

I haven't used them myself, but I've noticed that a lot of other Proz members seem to be using http://websitesfortranslators.co.uk/ .

Their sites look pretty good, but I guess I can't vouch for whether or not their customers were satisfied.

Also, it's a chunk of change - I think the minimum is like $500.00 compared to $0-$40 setting up a Squarespace or Wordpress site, though
... See more
I haven't used them myself, but I've noticed that a lot of other Proz members seem to be using http://websitesfortranslators.co.uk/ .

Their sites look pretty good, but I guess I can't vouch for whether or not their customers were satisfied.

Also, it's a chunk of change - I think the minimum is like $500.00 compared to $0-$40 setting up a Squarespace or Wordpress site, though I will say in my opinion it looks far better, and you don't have to do any of the design yourself.

Here's one translator's websitesfortranslators site: http://wantwords.co.uk/
Collapse

Fausto Mescolini
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 21, 2017

Thank you all for your comments.
When I opened this forum I had already hired that company, but after their draft site I wanted to abandon them. In the end though I decided to go on because I know that if I had to do it by myself I would never do it.
Samuel, Tom: you both were right, my website seems very standardised and simple. The designer seems lazy and not really keen on delivering something specific for me and I guess she didn't even look at the two examples I sent her.
F
... See more
Thank you all for your comments.
When I opened this forum I had already hired that company, but after their draft site I wanted to abandon them. In the end though I decided to go on because I know that if I had to do it by myself I would never do it.
Samuel, Tom: you both were right, my website seems very standardised and simple. The designer seems lazy and not really keen on delivering something specific for me and I guess she didn't even look at the two examples I sent her.
Fiona: all the decisions to make (in particular regarding the look) are indeed the process of designing the website. I thought that an agency might advise me, but this was not the case. Also, with a little baby now my time is even less for working, let alone to focus on my website.

I did think to Website for Translators, but I was put off by their prices. The agency I'm using is of course much cheaper, also because they offer 25% discount to ITI members, but you get what you pay for. Next time I'll change provider, I'll try a freelancer or I'll try by myself.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Always new Feb 22, 2017

By the way: a website has to be continuously updated with new features, new information etc. or people will visit it once, and never come back.

Just think about your own experience: how many websites have you ever visited, glanced at, and never gone back to? Thousands?

When I was working on my own (now defunct) website I came across some interesting statistics; one of the most striking is that if a website offers nothing that immediately attracts or holds the attention,
... See more
By the way: a website has to be continuously updated with new features, new information etc. or people will visit it once, and never come back.

Just think about your own experience: how many websites have you ever visited, glanced at, and never gone back to? Thousands?

When I was working on my own (now defunct) website I came across some interesting statistics; one of the most striking is that if a website offers nothing that immediately attracts or holds the attention, the viewer will look at it for an average of 7 (seven) seconds and will then go away, never to return.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
??? Feb 22, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

Isn't a translator's website just a business card though? It's hard to imagine what kind of dynamic content might inspire repeat visits.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Having your web site designed

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »