Projects for the remote-able translator
Thread poster: Mario Chavez (X)

Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 12

Not long ago I read an article about two translators running an experiment with a gig economy website (Fiverr) to gauge the actual costs of translation for a translation buyer. Very well done, an eye opener for many, based on the comments I've read.

I recently received an email invitation from an interpreter I don't know (with a LinkedIn profile) inviting me to sign up for remote.com

Digging for more information (after deleting this email), I found out that remote.com is the reincarnation of outsource.com. Go figure. The online reviews I've read about them aren't flattering.

Then I learned about other site for freelancers of every stripe to market their services (that's why I am posting this under Marketing for translators): upwork.com

In the latter site, I found out that many technical translators offer services in a wide range of hourly rates. Take a look and share what you think, if you want.

Graeme Waller  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:47
Finnish to English
+ ...
No thanks Jan 12

They invoice you for 20% of the first $500 that you charge a client through their system. After reading that, I did not investigate any further.

Source: https://www.upwork.com/i/how-it-works/freelancer/

[Edited at 2018-01-12 16:13 GMT]

Daniel Frisano
Monaco
Local time: 04:47
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Freedom! Jan 12

Anybody is free to buy their clothes at a street market, department store or high-end boutique. If you are Giorgio Armani, you're not bothered by street vendors.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:47
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
So what's new Jan 12

These sites have been around for ages and of us ignore them most, if not all, of the time. I just loaded the Remote one and it was clear from the very first second that it was a wast of time. Right there in front of my eyes were the headings:
Employers

Job seekers

Enough said! Clearly not for self-employed freelance translators!

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:47
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Mario Jan 12

Mario Chavez wrote:
I recently received an email invitation from an interpreter I don't know (with a LinkedIn profile) inviting me to sign up for remote.com

It costs money to join remote.com, but you can get some of your money back by referring other victims.

Then I learned about other site for freelancers of every stripe to market their services (that's why I am posting this under Marketing for translators): upwork.com

I could not find the sign-up page for freelancers anywhere on their home page, but thankfully Graeme found the link (see his post). Unlike remove.com/outsource.com, there is no monthly fee, but the site receives commission on the money that you get paid. It's 20%, which is quite high, but nothing prevents you from signing up with a rate that is 20% higher than your usual rate.

I was surprised at the range of hourly rates offered by translators -- some of them have quite high rates and yet seem to get clients anyway.

Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
Can you post a link to the article? Jan 12

Mario Chavez wrote:

Not long ago I read an article about two translators running an experiment with a gig economy website (Fiverr) to gauge the actual costs of translation for a translation buyer. Very well done, an eye opener for many, based on the comments I've read.

Mario, can you post a link to the article?

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Here's the article Jan 13

Artem Vakhitov wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

Mario, can you post a link to the article?

Artem,

A French translator and a colleague of hers did this: https://bellingua.co.uk/2017/03/01/using-fiverr-for-translations-part1/

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
High hourly rates Jan 13

Samuel Murray wrote:

I was surprised at the range of hourly rates offered by translators -- some of them have quite high rates and yet seem to get clients anyway.

Same here. A couple of those translators charge $80/hour. Whoa!

I guess those might be translators just like us but who've found that Remote is an additional revenue stream, just not their main one.

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:47
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
@Daniel: Unless they are selling cheap, knock-off 'Armanis' Jan 14

Daniel Frisano wrote:

Anybody is free to buy their clothes at a street market, department store or high-end boutique. If you are Giorgio Armani, you're not bothered by street vendors.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Projects for the remote-able translator

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search