Does Google show your business location in a Google search?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:06
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jan 14

Hello everyone

Today I noticed that Google shows my "business location" (which happens to be my home) plus additional business related information (e.g. the option to post reviews, opening hours, etc.) when I google for my name plus "translator".

business info on google search

I did not ask for this, and I'm currently trying to figure out how to remove my address from it (or at least prevent it from showing the location on a map and streetview), but I'm curious: how many of you get the same service when you google your name plus "translator"?

And, do you know how one can go about getting it, if you don't have it?

Samuel

Laurent Mercky

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:06
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
OMG! Jan 14

Wow, that's a massive invasion of privacy, I'd say, if you're trading as a feeelancer, I.e. as a physical person. It's different for a limited company as they would have a different address etc.

I don't have any remedy, but I'd be furious if it were me. Start gathering data -- like that screenshot -- and prepare to shoot Google with it. I dare say the news media can get a line of communication going.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Limited control here Jan 14

One can edit one's business' settings here:
https://business.google.com
There is the option to remove a location, but the pop-up says that even if you remove your location from "Google My Business", it will still appear in e.g. Google Maps and similar places.

Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Google help center: Add or edit your business address Jan 14

https://support.google.com/business/answer/2853879?hl=en

Just to add to what Samuel has already written.

Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
My company (Moje firma in Czech) Jan 14

Samuel Murray wrote:

I did not ask for this, and I'm currently trying to figure out how to remove my address from it (or at least prevent it from showing the location on a map and streetview), but I'm curious: how many of you get the same service when you google your name plus "translator"?

And, do you know how one can go about getting it, if you don't have it?

Samuel

Hi Samuel,

if you search "condak.net" Google displays info on my limited company. There is minimum infos direct from me. It's my fault. The service is free and I can create my web site by Google for free. There are another services, as statistics, messaging, email and the possibility of placing paid advertising, which is why there are free services. There are apps for mobiles, too.

If I search "Sheila Wilson translator" or your name (from Czechia) I get the results without map and street-view.

Best regards,

Milan
PS: Thank for skive me to update my info for Google and its users.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:06
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Do you have a Google Business Account, Samuel? Jan 14

Both those links are for someone who has set up a Google Business Account and needs to manage it. I assumed from the original posting that you were entirely unaware of how this information got online, Samuel.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
@Sheila Jan 14

Sheila Wilson wrote:
Both those links are for someone who has set up a Google Business Account and needs to manage it.

Well, I do pay for Gmail, so perhaps that counts as a "Google Business Account".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does Google show your business location in a Google search?

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search