Working with Trados projects on MateCat
Thread poster: Luiz Almeida

Luiz Almeida
Brazil
Local time: 22:28
English to Portuguese
Jul 17, 2015

Hi there, everyone. Some time ago, I lost the opportunity to get some jobs because I didn't have Trados, and it's still too expensive for me right now.

However, I just found out about MateCat, and sort of fell in love with it. I tried to open SDLXIFF files, and it opened. I also tried to put together three files that came with a project, the pdf and two .itd and it even recognized the parts of the file that had already been marked as translated by other translators that worked on the file.

My question is: is there anything I can't do on MateCat, in a way that makes it impossible for me to work with Trados files?

Like, if the client asks about the unclean file, I can just export in SDLXIFF, and if they ask the clean file, I can just download it. Is there anything that would prevent me from getting jobs?

Thanks a lot.


 

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 08:28
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
My reverse order Jul 18, 2015

LH Almeida wrote:

Like, if the client asks about the unclean file, I can just export in SDLXIFF, and if they ask the clean file, I can just download it. Is there anything that would prevent me from getting jobs?

Thanks a lot.


I may not reply to your issue but I met the online MateCat job while I prefer Trados. I just learnt from you that Trados and MateCat are mostly compatible.

Thanks.

Soonthon L.icon_biggrin.gif


 

Antonio F. L (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Limits? Jul 18, 2015

I have not experience with MateCat, but think some clients will not like you to use their documents on the cloud. Agencies using Trados will also often send you "packages" and they will want you to send them back "return packages", probably that's not compatible with either with MateCat (although I really don't know about this).

 

MateCat Support
Italy
Local time: 03:28
SDLXIFF files Aug 27, 2015

LH Almeida wrote:

My question is: is there anything I can't do on MateCat, in a way that makes it impossible for me to work with Trados files?

Like, if the client asks about the unclean file, I can just export in SDLXIFF, and if they ask the clean file, I can just download it. Is there anything that would prevent me from getting jobs?


Hi,

I confirm you that with MateCat you can import and export SDLXIFF files.

[Edited at 2015-08-27 08:40 GMT]


 

MateCat Support
Italy
Local time: 03:28
Cloud and privacy Aug 27, 2015

Antonio F. Lera wrote:

I have not experience with MateCat, but think some clients will not like you to use their documents on the cloud.


The documents are online in a dedicated server, so technically it is not a cloud with shared and distributed servers.
Having said that, you can create a Private TM associated to the document so that your privacy and confidentiality are guaranteed both technically and legally.

[Edited at 2015-08-27 08:44 GMT]


 

MateCat Support
Italy
Local time: 03:28
Trados packages Aug 27, 2015

Antonio F. Lera wrote:

Agencies using Trados will also often send you "packages" and they will want you to send them back "return packages", probably that's not compatible with either with MateCat (although I really don't know about this).


We don't support directly Trados packages, but you can import in MateCat the SDLXLIFF and the TMX files which are inside the Trados package, and once you have finished the translation you can export them.


 


There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »


Working with Trados projects on MateCat

Advanced search






PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search