Thread poster: Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:58
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Aug 30, 2012

In case anyone's interested, Coursera is offering a free 6-week online statistics course starting this Monday, 3rd September. It's not aimed at medical translators or even translators in general, but it's the introductory statistics course that undergraduates take at Princeton University in their first year.

I think it looks really interesting for medical translators (which is why I'm posti
... See more
In case anyone's interested, Coursera is offering a free 6-week online statistics course starting this Monday, 3rd September. It's not aimed at medical translators or even translators in general, but it's the introductory statistics course that undergraduates take at Princeton University in their first year.

I think it looks really interesting for medical translators (which is why I'm posting in the Medical Forum) because we need to have a good understanding of this subject for clinical trials.

I signed up for the course last week and blogged about it here: Signs & Symptoms of Translation. Please note, although I'm recommending it, I have no previous experience of Coursera classes so I'm really hoping it will be worth all the time and effort. Has anyone else done one of these courses?

Emma
Collapse

Kevin Clayton, PhD
Kevin Clayton, PhD
Spain
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'll be taking the class too... Aug 30, 2012

A friend, who is doing a PhD in Epidemiology, recommended the Coursera site to me a few months ago. So far, I've just done one course - Introduction to Pharmacology - which finishes next week. I actually studied pharmacology (in greater depth) during my degree - same with the rest of the statistics and life science courses I'm signed up to over the next few months - but I'm using the site as a refresher.

The site works really well. In the case of Intro to Pharmacology there's a vide
... See more
A friend, who is doing a PhD in Epidemiology, recommended the Coursera site to me a few months ago. So far, I've just done one course - Introduction to Pharmacology - which finishes next week. I actually studied pharmacology (in greater depth) during my degree - same with the rest of the statistics and life science courses I'm signed up to over the next few months - but I'm using the site as a refresher.

The site works really well. In the case of Intro to Pharmacology there's a video (combination of lecturer and powerpoint slides), which you can stream or download, as well as a PDF or Powerpoint file of the slides. To get a cert of completion you just need to answer the assessment questions that are posted for each lecture.

The statistics course looks like it'll be a lot more work though ("Workload: 4-6 hours/week") but I think it'll be useful for anyone who works with scientific and medical articles, even though of us who already studied stats elsewhere. There are other courses coming up, some that require even more time, e.g. Medical Neuroscience ( https://www.coursera.org/#course/medicalneuro ): "Workload: 16-20 hours/week"! I might just give that one a miss...
Collapse

K S (X)
K S (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:58
Thanks for sharing. Aug 30, 2012

Dear Emma,

Thank you for sharing the details. I am a medical translator myself, and would definitely look into the training opportunities this course provides.

I also look forward to your webinar on EMA templates and EU terminology for medical translators.

Are you a member of the ITI's medical and pharmaceutical group? I am sure many people would be interested in networking with you.

BW,

Kasia

Shirley Lao
Shirley Lao  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 08:58
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thanks for sharing Aug 30, 2012

Dear Emma and Kevin,

Thanks for sharing such valuable course information at Coursera.

Best Regards

Shirley

Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Thank you Emma! Aug 31, 2012

I didn't think it was possible to watch such interesting videos at no charge at all.
I have seen there is also a course on pharmacology and pharmacodynamics.
The good thing is that is also possible to watch the registered videos when one has a little spare time...

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Update Sep 2, 2012

I've just received the introductory email to the stats course, and apparently there are 75,000 students enrolled!

Since no certificates are going to be issued for completing this course, and as Bruno points out, it seems you can download the videos to watch in your own time, I don't think it matters if you miss the beginning and start later. So that may be useful if you are reading this thread after 3rd Sept.

@ Kevin, great that we're going to be fellow students! And th
... See more
I've just received the introductory email to the stats course, and apparently there are 75,000 students enrolled!

Since no certificates are going to be issued for completing this course, and as Bruno points out, it seems you can download the videos to watch in your own time, I don't think it matters if you miss the beginning and start later. So that may be useful if you are reading this thread after 3rd Sept.

@ Kevin, great that we're going to be fellow students! And thanks for your feedback about the pharma course and Coursera in general.

@ Kasia, glad to hear you'll be attending the "EMA templates and EU terminology for medical translators" webinar in January. There's going to be a lot to fit into just an hour. No, I'm not a member of the ITI medical and pharmaceutical group - yet. Not sure how active it is? Actually, I've just joined Tremedica, the Spanish-language international association of medical translators, which has an excellent journal called Panace@ .
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
End of course summary Oct 29, 2012

This is just to mention that the Statistics One course has finished, although you can still enrol on it and follow it in your own time.

Here's a summary about what I gained from the course:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2012/10/29/stats1-final/

Ricardy Ricot
Ricardy Ricot  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:58
French to English
+ ...
Coursera is good Nov 6, 2012

Hello, Emma. I believe Coursera is very good. Earlier this year, I took an introduction to computers course on the website and it was absolutely fantastic. I plan to take that statistics class. But for the time being, I'm taking another statistics class on udacity.com (free as well). They use python for the scripts.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free online statistics course

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »