Thread poster: Emily Scott

Emily Scott  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:33
Member (2018)
French to English
+ ...
Oct 14

This is a debate that I always have with myself when translating medical texts and which I've never really gotten to the bottom of. I can't really find a definitive answer as to whether these words mean the same thing or if there is perhaps a slight difference in meaning. What is your general rule when using these terms? Is there a difference in meaning?

Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 19:33
Romanian to English
+ ...
one explanation Oct 14

Dilatation is defined as a region of dilation, an area of abnormal enlargement, or the surgical enlargement of a region (noun describing the verb). Dilation is defined as the act of dilating (stretching out), the state of being dilated, and confusingly: dilatation. Both definitions cross-refer to one another.

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:33
German to English
Sometimes used interchangeably, unfortunately Oct 14

There are various medical articles on the topic, but unfortunately they are not freely accessible.
Below is a page that offers an opinion on the difference and gives a detailed explanation.
Dilation: passive process
Dilatation: active process

https://pediaa.com/difference-between-dilation-and-dilatation/

Doubtless many may dispute
... See more
There are various medical articles on the topic, but unfortunately they are not freely accessible.
Below is a page that offers an opinion on the difference and gives a detailed explanation.
Dilation: passive process
Dilatation: active process

https://pediaa.com/difference-between-dilation-and-dilatation/

Doubtless many may dispute the categorization.
Collapse

DZiW

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dilation vs dilatation

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search