MemoQ vs. Trados Studio 2009
Thread poster: Noe Tessmann

Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:40
English to German
+ ...
May 21, 2009

Dear colleagues,


I am just testing these two programmes. It's more or less a beta testing for Trados as for MemoQ. I am asking myself to what extent the new features are comparable.

The Trados autosuggest function which is maybe limited to the pro version seems to correspond to the LSC feature of MemoQ. This it at least what I was thinking before getting my hands on.

Autosuggest doesn't seem to be something like the grown-up "concordance search when
... See more
Dear colleagues,


I am just testing these two programmes. It's more or less a beta testing for Trados as for MemoQ. I am asking myself to what extent the new features are comparable.

The Trados autosuggest function which is maybe limited to the pro version seems to correspond to the LSC feature of MemoQ. This it at least what I was thinking before getting my hands on.

Autosuggest doesn't seem to be something like the grown-up "concordance search when no segment is found" function I was waiting for. It's more a like a Autotext function fed with entries from your TM. You have to start your expression correctly to get the right hits.

Autopropagate conerns just the subsequent expressions of the same document. If I understood it right nothing in SDL 2009 scans constantly your TMs for matching subsegements as does the LSC function of MemoQ.

There are some Trados conveniences missing in MemoQ like fuzzy tresholds for concordance search, numbers as placeables, Word grammar check and so on.

It seems to me that MemoQ is more willing to close the gaps than SDL.


Regards

Noe
Collapse


 

Mikhail Popov
Singapore
Local time: 02:40
English to Russian
+ ...
Agree May 22, 2009

Yes, I also consider MemoQ more convenient for the end user. I have not a big experience with Trados, but my friends have. LSC is a great thing, really helping you.

And numbers as placeables - yes, it's considerable inconvenience of MemoQ. Wordfast deal with numbers more efficient.


 

István Lengyel
Hungary
Local time: 19:40
Member (2014)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
not so convenient but very powerful May 22, 2009

The equivalent of placeables in MemoQ is auto-translatables. The tool does not ship with these, but you can set them up quite easily if you follow these guidelines:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/CAT-Tools/MemoQ/Tips_and_Tricks#Using_auto-translatables_for_number_format_conversion


 

Mikhail Popov
Singapore
Local time: 02:40
English to Russian
+ ...
Failed to tune it May 23, 2009

Yes, I tried to tune auto-translatables, reviewed wiki manual but no proper result so far. Probably I did something wrong and this option is really powerfull. But Wordfast do what I want without any tuning and manuals.
I manage with them in this way - import the text into MemoQ, sort whole text by source segment length (shorter first). Almost all letters are in front after this. I just select them and copy source to target. Easy.


 

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:40
German to English
+ ...
Autotranslatables May 23, 2009

You might look and see if there are slides from Gábor's talk at the MemoQ Fest on this subject (actually it was on regular expressions, but this was covered). The help file also has decent examples and explanations that may be of assistance.

 

István Lengyel
Hungary
Local time: 19:40
Member (2014)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Let us know if we can help May 23, 2009

Michael, if you plan to buy MemoQ (provided you don't have it yet, I don't really know now), just drop us a line with your requests regarding auto-translatables to the support mailing address. If you plan to use the free version, you can get help on the MemoQ Yahoo! Group.

István


 

Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:40
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
All numbers highlighted Jun 12, 2009

Michael Popov wrote:

Yes, I tried to tune auto-translatables, reviewed wiki manual but no proper result so far. Probably I did something wrong and this option is really powerfull. But Wordfast do what I want without any tuning and manuals.
I manage with them in this way - import the text into MemoQ, sort whole text by source segment length (shorter first). Almost all letters are in front after this. I just select them and copy source to target. Easy.



Hello Michael,

if you really want all numbers to be highlighted you can make the following autotranslatable rule:

right pane:
(\d+)
left pane:
$1

I don't know if it is really useful but I'll try it out for a while.


Regards

Noe


 

Sino-Vantage --
China
Local time: 02:40
English to Chinese
+ ...
Export source file from MemoQ into Trados Dec 19, 2011

Hi Guys,

Do you know how to exprot the source file from MemoQ into Trados file? And I want to translate with Trados and then import to MemoQ.

Best regards,

Flora


 

Jing Nie
China
Local time: 02:40
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Export XLIFF, then translate Dec 19, 2011

Sino-Vantage -- wrote:

Hi Guys,

Do you know how to exprot the source file from MemoQ into Trados file? And I want to translate with Trados and then import to MemoQ.

Best regards,

Flora


 

Sino-Vantage --
China
Local time: 02:40
English to Chinese
+ ...
Export source file from MemoQ into Trados Dec 20, 2011

Thank you! Nie Jing!

But I export XML file, not XLIFF. The XLIFF will be opened only in Trados 2009. Is MemoQ compatible with Trados 2007? My concerns is that If I transate the XML file with Tageditor (07 version), and then if I would import the translation into MemoQ sucessfully.


 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:40
Finnish to French
Why translate XML in TagEditor instead of memoQ? Dec 20, 2011

Sino-Vantage -- wrote:
But I export XML file, not XLIFF. The XLIFF will be opened only in Trados 2009. Is MemoQ compatible with Trados 2007? My concerns is that If I transate the XML file with Tageditor (07 version), and then if I would import the translation into MemoQ sucessfully.

Just curious: why would you want to translate an XML file in TagEditor (which is a horrendous working environment) if you have memoQ at your disposal?


 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:40
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Exactly Dec 20, 2011

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Just curious: why would you want to translate an XML file in TagEditor (which is a horrendous working environment) if you have memoQ at your disposal?

Exactly. It is fairly easy to translate any kind of XML file in memoQ, by using the custom import settings.


 

Jing Nie
China
Local time: 02:40
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
XLIFF can be opened using tageditor, you may try. I never tried XML Dec 21, 2011

Sino-Vantage -- wrote:

Thank you! Nie Jing!

But I export XML file, not XLIFF. The XLIFF will be opened only in Trados 2009. Is MemoQ compatible with Trados 2007? My concerns is that If I transate the XML file with Tageditor (07 version), and then if I would import the translation into MemoQ sucessfully.


 

Sino-Vantage --
China
Local time: 02:40
English to Chinese
+ ...
Why translate XML in TagEditor instead of memoQ? Dec 21, 2011

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Sino-Vantage -- wrote:
But I export XML file, not XLIFF. The XLIFF will be opened only in Trados 2009. Is MemoQ compatible with Trados 2007? My concerns is that If I transate the XML file with Tageditor (07 version), and then if I would import the translation into MemoQ sucessfully.

Just curious: why would you want to translate an XML file in TagEditor (which is a horrendous working environment) if you have memoQ at your disposal?


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ vs. Trados Studio 2009

Advanced search






Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search