Trados INI file with imported TTX files in MemoQ?
Thread poster: Mohamed
Mohamed
Mohamed  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:06
English to Arabic
+ ...
Oct 6, 2009

Hello everybody,

I am wondering if there is a way to use a particular ini file with TTX files imported into MemoQ?

I select "Add Documents As..." and I can add TTX files. The TTX filter is selected by default. There is "Settings file" path, but it accepts only XML files, not ini. How can I use Trados ini files with MemoQ?

Thanks for your help.

Mohamed

Albatros
Albatros  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:06
Member (2007)
English to Italian
not possible AFAIK Oct 6, 2009

Hi Mohamed,

unless the file is presegmented using Trados, I don't think you'll be able to translate it in MemoQ. Pretranslate it in Trados Workbench using the correct INI and selecting the "Segment unknown sentences" option. You will then be able to import the resulting TTX file into MemoQ without problems.
--
Roberto Savelli

[Edited at 2009-10-06 10:59 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Presegment with Trados Oct 6, 2009

Indeed, as described by Albatros, you must presegment the TTX file with Trados before translating it in MemoQ. And if you need some INI file, just add it to Translator's Workbench before using the Translate option in Trados.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
And TTX export works beautifully! Oct 6, 2009

albatros wrote:
You will then be able to import the resulting TTX file into MemoQ without problems.

Indeed, and also export the TTX file, which will be perfectly compatible with TagEditor again. We have tried with some very tricky and large files and it all looked nice after translation in MemoQ.

Mohamed
Mohamed  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:06
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You Oct 7, 2009

albatros wrote:

Hi Mohamed,

unless the file is presegmented using Trados, I don't think you'll be able to translate it in MemoQ. Pretranslate it in Trados Workbench using the correct INI and selecting the "Segment unknown sentences" option. You will then be able to import the resulting TTX file into MemoQ without problems.
--
Roberto Savelli

[Edited at 2009-10-06 10:59 GMT]

Thank you so much Albatros. I really appreciate it. MemoQ Help failed to mention the "Segment unknown sentences" part and it does not work unless you select this option.

Here is what exists in MemoQ help:

"Note:To pre-segment a TTX file using SDL Trados, open the Translator's Workbench with an empty translation memory, then use Tools > Translate. If you translate a TTX file against an empty translation memory, the Translator's Workbench will insert the proper segment boundaries, which will be preserved in MemoQ."

Thanks again Albatros and Tomas for your invaluable help and feedback.

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
error in MemoQ Help Oct 7, 2009

Hello Mohamed,

Mohamed wrote:

Thank you so much Albatros. I really appreciate it. MemoQ Help failed to mention the "Segment unknown sentences" part and it does not work unless you select this option.

Indeed, this is a serious error in the help. I'll make sure it is fixed quickly. Thank you for pointing it out.

Best regards,

Gergely Vandor
Kilgray

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
INI file: not needed Oct 7, 2009

Mohamed wrote:

How can I use Trados ini files with MemoQ?

You can't, but you don't need to either. Contrary to common belief, the INI file is actually not needed for translation. It does not contain anything that would be required to open the document or to produce a proper export.

The XML files you can save and load in the document import dialogs of memoQ store memoQ's own import settings. They can save you time, because loading an import configuration file can be quicker than specifying all the import options.

Gergely

Winnie Joseph
Winnie Joseph  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:06
Member (2017)
Chinese to English
+ ...
ini and ttx files in Trados and memoQ Mar 24, 2012

Gergely Vandor wrote:

Mohamed wrote:

How can I use Trados ini files with MemoQ?

You can't, but you don't need to either. Contrary to common belief, the INI file is actually not needed for translation. It does not contain anything that would be required to open the document or to produce a proper export.

The XML files you can save and load in the document import dialogs of memoQ store memoQ's own import settings. They can save you time, because loading an import configuration file can be quicker than specifying all the import options.

Gergely

This is what I don't understand, Gergely. If I don't have the right ini file when importing a particular ttx file into TagEditor, the ttx file won't open. Is the ini file not there to define how the ttx file is segmented? If it is, then when importing the same ttx file into memoQ will require the same ini file to make sure that the ttx file is segmented in the way the it would be if it were imported into TagEditor? If it is not, what is the point of the ini file? And why I can't I open the ttx file at all (or sometimes with warnings) in TagEditor without the correct ini file?

I have tried using memoQ to work on ttx files without bothering with the ini files sent to us by one of our client (who specifically requires us to translate them in Trados using the ini file they give us). They end up not happy with the resulting ttx files we sent them which had been processed in memoQ, complaining that they could not process them correctly at their end. We had no choice but work in Trados TagEditor using the ini files they sent us on these projects.

I am puzzled.

Winnie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados INI file with imported TTX files in MemoQ?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »