Thread poster: Robin Schnoeckelborg

Robin Schnoeckelborg  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 09:14
Japanese to German
+ ...
Dec 1, 2009

Hi!

I have been working with the 4free client for a bit and like it very much. The Pro edition seems a bit too costly for me at the moment, even with the current group buy offer.

I looked at their website, but could someone who has worked with all editions shed some light on how they compare?

My understanding is that Pro gives you server connectability and 4free let's you work with one document at a time only. Translator means multiple docs and no server? Anything else that I need to know to make a decision?

Thanks for helping!

Gergely Vandor
Hungary
Local time: 02:14
English to Hungarian
Resource Center Dec 1, 2009

Hi Robin,

In our Resource Center website, you can find a feature comparison chart of the differrent memoQ editions, as well as many other useful documents, videos, etc:

http://rc.kilgray.com

Click "Editions and features" under Explore.

Best regards,
Gergely

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:14
English to French
Of the purpose of a CAT tool Dec 1, 2009

I haven't used all versions (only Pro), but from what I read, you can't leverage much with version 4free.

"memoQ 4Free: full-featured translation memory limited to one translation memory for one document. You can exploit the repetitions within a document as memoQ 4Free creates a separate translation memory for each one. Translation memories created in memoQ 4Free can be used in all editions of memoQ."

If you are considering serious translation work and using CAT tools, the Pro or Standard version is necessary to make use of previous resources (translated texts, terminology, etc). It is the whole point of a CAT tool: recycle/refer to previous work in order to save time compared with working with no CAT tool, through reusing translation memories (TM) and processing several docs within the same project.

The server connectivity in Pro is useful when agency customers require several translators on the same project, so that the TM(s) can be shared in real time over the Internet.

If you don't plan to use it with teams of translators or remote server-based TMs, I would think that the Standard version is enough to benefit from MemoQ functionality in full.

Philippe

Edited to add that it seems that you have to renew the standard version every year. Therefore the Pro version might be a better deal in the long run.

[Edited at 2009-12-01 09:36 GMT]

Robin Schnoeckelborg  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 09:14
Japanese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank yous and what I was looking for Dec 1, 2009

Gergely, thank you for the link. The pdf compares 4free and Pro, so I was wondering how Standard falls between the two.

Philippe, thank you very much for your ideas. You kind of confirmed what I was thinking. It says so clearly on the shop page, but I wasn't aware of the fact that Standard is a one-year licence only. So thank you for pointing that out.

Edited to add this link:

http://en.kilgray.com/?q=node/products/whichversion

This is what I needed. I overlooked it in the sidemenu...icon_wink.gif

[Edited at 2009-12-01 16:20 GMT]

Darius Daniel Grigoras  Identity Verified
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
I just can't find the link to download memoQ 4free May 30, 2013

Is this a farce? Can anyone point me to a working download link?

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:14
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
memoQ 4free is in the 45-day free evaluation version May 30, 2013

Hi Darius,

No, it's not a farce. Here's what the website says:

Important! This version of memoQ cannot be downloaded. Once the 45-days free evaluation version of your memoQ expires, it turns into 4free mode.

Michael

Lauge Gevitz

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ 4free vs Translator vs Pro

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search