Thread poster: Marie Karlsson
Marie Karlsson
Marie Karlsson
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:00
English to Swedish
+ ...
Apr 28, 2010

I have just been introduced to MemoQ and have started familiarizing myself by reading all sorts of information and watching instruction videos.

I have a couple of basic questions about the program:

1. Will I be able to use TMs from Trados in MemoQ?
If so, do I export them in TMX format and simply open them up in MemoQ, or does any other action need to be performed?

2. I mostly work in Word and ttx formats (Trados TagEditor). I especially want to ma
... See more
I have just been introduced to MemoQ and have started familiarizing myself by reading all sorts of information and watching instruction videos.

I have a couple of basic questions about the program:

If so, do I export them in TMX format and simply open them up in MemoQ, or does any other action need to be performed?

2. I mostly work in Word and ttx formats (Trados TagEditor). I especially want to make sure that I will be able to work with ttx files and deliver bilingual ttx and Word files back to the client.
Do ttx files (Trados) require any kind of preparation before I can work with them?

3. From what I have seen this is a project based tool, and all files, TMs and terminology lists are handled from within MemoQ. Is it also possible to open up a file directly from the folder in which it is saved to proofread etc., without having to open up a whole project?

I use Windows 7, Trados 7 and Office 2003.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Kind regards,

Marie

[Redigerad 2010-04-28 16:50 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:00
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My two cents Apr 28, 2010

I have been using MemoQ (although a Server version) for the last 6 months, and only yesterday I upgraded to 4.0, so I hope I am saying sensible things here...

Let me quickly summarise the situation, as we in the office also handle a lot Trados/TagEditor stuff from our customers.

Marie Karlsson wrote:

You simply export from Trados to TMX (you have to open the memory in exclusive mode). Then you create a memory in MemoQ and use the "Import from TMX" option.

One pitfall that is still unresolved as far as I am aware is that Trados and MemoQ handle in-line tags differently in their TMX exports, so when you import in-line tags from Trados to MemoQ, your Trados in-line tags are converted to formatting tags, which adds a little nuisance as you have to add your in-line tags again in segments that were perfect 100% matches in TagEditor.

If your work is very tag intensive as ours here in the office, feel free to email me via Proz.com and I will try to tell you about a little trick to re-add the in-line tags to the MemoQ memory after import. This trick only works however if you have your TTX files from previous translations and their tags could be useful in a new translation.

Can I suggest that you set up a custom location for your MemoQ memories, so that you can locate them much more easily for backups, etc.? In MemoQ 4.0, you do that in Tools > Options > Locations > "Translation memories" box.

Marie Karlsson wrote:
2. I mostly work in Word and ttx formats (Trados TagEditor). I especially want to make sure that I will be able to work with ttx files and deliver bilingual ttx and Word files back to the client.
Do ttx files (Trados) require any kind of preparation before I can work with them?

Indeed. For MemoQ to recognise the segments in the TTX files, you need to pre-segment any TTX file you want to translate. You presegment them with Trados Workbench, using the option Tools > Translate > enable the "Segment unknown segments" box. You can do this with an empty memory that has the same language settings as your TTX file, or you can even use your customer's memory (any 100% matches will appear already translated in MemoQ).

Marie Karlsson wrote:
3. From what I have seen this is a project based tool, and all files, TMs and terminology lists are handled from within MemoQ. Is it also possible to open up a file directly from the folder in which it is saved to proofread etc., without having to open up a whole project?

Yes, MemoQ is project-based. In order to link translatable files to a memory, you need to have a project. Now, if you do work on an on-going basis for your customer, you only need to create the project once, and then can add and delete files as you process them.

In order to open a TTX file for corrections, proofreading, etc., you can open the corresponding project (which will associate the memory/memories, termbase(s), and settings you may have created for this customer/end customer), and drag and drop the file to the Project home tab. Then you can simply open the file and make changes in it, making sure you "confirm" each changed segment so that your corrections go to the memory.

The Kilgray team might add more exact details here, but I thought I'd just share my experiences. Feel free to email me via Proz.com if you have any quick questions I might be able to answer.

Enjoy!

simon tanner
simon tanner  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:00
Italian to English
+ ...
agree with Tomás Apr 28, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

One pitfall that is still unresolved as far as I am aware is that Trados and MemoQ handle in-line tags differently in their TMX exports, so when you import in-line tags from Trados to MemoQ, your Trados in-line tags are converted to formatting tags, which adds a little nuisance as you have to add your in-line tags again in segments that were perfect 100% matches in TagEditor.

Tomás clearly has much more extensive knowledge than me here, so I feel underqualified to comment on his other observations (although my gut reaction would be to trust him blindly!), but on this point I can confirm from experience that this is the case. I have clients who use exclusively Trados, and when they give me a TM to use (all too rarely, I'm afraid), it's a TMX generated by Trados. What should be 100% matches often require tweaking in MemoQ because of the way the two programmes handle formatting differently. But as long as the file is not too format-intensive, and as long as you're charging a going rate for 100% matches, it shouldn't be a problem...

[Edited at 2010-04-28 20:23 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Use of Trados TMs and producing bilingual files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »