Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:08
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
149 euros... with support?? Ask SDL to give you that!! :-) May 22, 2010

Renato Renno wrote:
There is a version (Translator Pro) with Support sold at 620 euro and another one (Standard) without Support sold at 149 euro...It's clearly stated on their website: so why complaining about having Support or its quality, if you decided not to have it?

I entirely agree. If you are the kind of translator who has the time to check websites, ask colleagues for solutions, etc. etc.,then the Standard edition is for you, and you will rely on the help fellow translators may provide. If you really cannot afford to ask for help from fellow translators, that will mean that you work a lot, and in that case 620 euros is a true bargain!! I just cannot grasp how a translator who is really busy will not invest in good tools and good support.

Just compare with SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance, which costs 6 times the price of MemoQ Standard and, the same way, does not entitle you to get support unless you buy a separate support service. For the cost of a Studio 2009 Freelance you get MemoQ Pro WITH support, not to mention that MemoQ is far more stable, agile, and sensible than Studio, if you ask me.

People, Kilgray are not SDL! We current users of MemoQ know that quite well! Buy the Pro version and you will understand what I mean.

[Edited at 2010-05-22 07:45 GMT]

István Lengyel
István Lengyel
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Support is still top-notch May 22, 2010

Hi All,

I just wanted to pitch in as one of the founders of Kilgray. We are very conscious that support is one of our competitive advantages and we try to capitalize on this. We pay an awful lot of attention to support: though we have dedicated support staff, if need be, everybody in the company provides support, including our CEO. I think that so far we managed to overcome support issues very quickly and efficiently. There have been very few cases where we could not solve a problem
... See more
Hi All,

I just wanted to pitch in as one of the founders of Kilgray. We are very conscious that support is one of our competitive advantages and we try to capitalize on this. We pay an awful lot of attention to support: though we have dedicated support staff, if need be, everybody in the company provides support, including our CEO. I think that so far we managed to overcome support issues very quickly and efficiently. There have been very few cases where we could not solve a problem before the deadline of translators, less than five this year. Even there, in all cases but one the problem was that the urgency of the issue was not clear to us and we prioritized other cases. We encourage our users to pick up the phone if there's something very urgent and let us know that way too.

We are pretty future-proof with support as everybody involved in support can answer basic questions, report bugs and offer workarounds and has a field of specialization too (e.g. servers, file formats, tools interoperability, best practices, etc.). If somebody cannot answer an issue, it can be escalated to higher levels very quickly.

I think that the growth of the user base did not have a very serious impact on our support performance. The only thing that really takes more is answering feature suggestions, etc. - but that's not urgent anyway.

As Renato and Tomás mentioned, we've got two levels of software and the big price difference is really due to the support. Selling a translator standard is a one-off thing - we sell it and then we don't have to do anything about it. Selling a translator pro is entering into a business relationship - we sell it and then we are responsible for the user for a year, and another year when they extend the upgrade and support period. And if the company is responsible, everybody working for the company is responsible. It's the sort of Tesco vs. John Lewis, if you are familiar with UK shopping. We don't find this unfair as we advertise standard without support.

On another note: if you are evaluating memoQ and come to us for help, we are happy to help if you then limit your decision to either translator pro or not buying. And where you buy translator pro does not matter - it can be a ProZ TGB too.

Best regards,
István
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 20:08
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
I know what I bought May 25, 2010

I know I've bought the standard version and I'm not entitled to receive support. I didn't ask for any support. But when I get all those so-called "General Errors" all the time, I can't but report it to someone who can do something. I'm not asking for someone to deal with my specific problem, I'm letting them know that their program has a bug and throws error messages. I didn't pay for those, did I?

So, what I do now, is keep sending them the error messages, but with "NO NEED TO REPL
... See more
I know I've bought the standard version and I'm not entitled to receive support. I didn't ask for any support. But when I get all those so-called "General Errors" all the time, I can't but report it to someone who can do something. I'm not asking for someone to deal with my specific problem, I'm letting them know that their program has a bug and throws error messages. I didn't pay for those, did I?

So, what I do now, is keep sending them the error messages, but with "NO NEED TO REPLY" clearly indicated in the subject of my e-mail message.

As for SDL Trados Studio, I downloaded the trial and uninstalled it only 10 minutes later. I found it appalling (and so much similar to Across, even by the looks of it)… I need no headache-inducing software, thank you. I'll stick to MemoQ and mabye will use Wordfast PRO again, when it offers some actual functionality instead of an empty shell…
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
To pour a little oil into the fire... Jun 1, 2010

Tomás wrote:
149 euros... with support?? Ask SDL to give you that!!

I would only like to remind you that 149 Euros is an annual license subscription. The Studio Starter Edition (with less functionalities though) costs 96 Euros.

A brief price comparison:
MQ Translator Pro = 620 Euros
SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus = 480 Euros (from the Czech distributor; support not included)

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
A little flame war :) Jun 1, 2010

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Tomás wrote:
149 euros... with support?? Ask SDL to give you that!!

I would only like to remind you that 149 Euros is an annual license subscription. The Studio Starter Edition (with less functionalities though) costs 96 Euros.

Well.
Starter is annual too.
Being lazy and merciful I will not discuss the little word "less"

A brief price comparison:
MQ Translator Pro = 620 Euros

Street price, with support

SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus = 480 Euros (from the Czech distributor; support not included)

Stan, we know perfectly Trados uses dumping prices in some countries.
E.g., in Poland, the Pro version is now on sales at approx. 50% of the official street price.
And if you want o upgrade FL to PRO. approx. 500 euro, i.e. 25% of the street price.
Nice?

PS.
I suppose you may try to ask some crossgrade discount at Kilgray

Cheers
GG

Federica D'Alessio
Federica D'Alessio
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
"General Error" and MemoQ crashes Nov 26, 2010

Hi all,
I'm testing MemoQ - 45 days Trial - and I've to say that until now I'm very happy with it.
Apart from this General Error that I receive quite often, especially when closing and opening projects.

TYPE:
System.Exception

Tab page index of tab to be closed is -1, or DocumentControl is null

SOURCE:
MemoQ.ApplicationFramework

CALL STACK:
at MemoQ.ApplicationFramework.WindowManager.CloseTab(Do
... See more
Hi all,
I'm testing MemoQ - 45 days Trial - and I've to say that until now I'm very happy with it.
Apart from this General Error that I receive quite often, especially when closing and opening projects.

TYPE:
System.Exception

Tab page index of tab to be closed is -1, or DocumentControl is null

SOURCE:
MemoQ.ApplicationFramework

CALL STACK:
at MemoQ.ApplicationFramework.WindowManager.CloseTab(Document newDocument)
at MemoQ.ApplicationFramework.WindowManager.OnHideDocument(Document document)
at MemoQ.ApplicationFramework.WindowManager.OnCloseDocument(Document document)
at MemoQ.Application.MemoQApp.closeProjectRelatedDocsAndProject()
at MemoQ.Application.MemoQApp.closeProject()
at MemoQ.Application.MemoQApp.UnInitializeApp()
at MemoQ.MainWindow.MainWindow_FormClosed(Object sender, FormClosedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnFormClosed(FormClosedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmClose(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at MemoQ.MainWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

My own experience and the Support told that the only way to solve it is through the Task Manager windows.
But this is quite annoying and I'd like to know if there's any other kind of solution or something I could do to let MemoQ working smoothly.
I own a BootCamp Windows 7 SO on a MacBook Pro (if this can be of some help).
Thanks for helping!
Federica
Collapse

linktranslation
linktranslation
Brazil
Local time: 14:08
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Problem also found Aug 20, 2012

We have also found this same problem with memoQ and this is very frustrating. I just sent a message asking for support after several different tries to fix the issue.

I expect to have an answer from Support asap and I will post here if we can get it fixed - or not!

ltempleman
ltempleman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:08
French to English
+ ...
Another issue here Nov 22, 2015

linktranslation wrote:

We have also found this same problem with memoQ and this is very frustrating. I just sent a message asking for support after several different tries to fix the issue.

I expect to have an answer from Support asap and I will post here if we can get it fixed - or not!

I am having the exact same problem after my computer accidentally shut down as I worked on a project. Has there been any fix or are all my projects now lost? I'm desperate.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Try to restore the TM/TB you worked with (bold font) Nov 22, 2015

In case of sudden power cutoff, your TM may get damaged causing such behavior.

Try this: http://kilgray.com/memoq/60/help-en/index.html?repair_remote_resources.html

[Edited at 2015-11-22 13:27 GMT]

ltempleman
ltempleman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:08
French to English
+ ...
Thanks Nov 22, 2015

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I am using the free trial of MemoQ at the moment so don't think I have access to the tools that would allow me to do that.

I have imported the original documents again and the translations have been saved/remembered, so I now have second, working versions of the project files.

Now, my problem stems from the fact that unfortunately these are not showing up in the Resource Control panel when I try to export the files as a TMX.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Try it Nov 22, 2015

ltempleman wrote:
Unfortunately I am using the free trial of MemoQ at the moment so don't think I have access to the tools that would allow me to do that.

memoQ should be fully functional during the 45-day trial, so I’d imagine the tools in the link provided by Stepan would also work for you. Why don’t you try? You may also want to contact support @ Kilgray: just because you are trying memoQ doesn’t mean they would turn you down. After all, anyone trying memoQ is a potential customer.

Renata Fernandes
Renata Fernandes
Brazil
Local time: 14:08
English to Portuguese
Have you found a solution? Oct 11, 2018

ltempleman wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I am using the free trial of MemoQ at the moment so don't think I have access to the tools that would allow me to do that.

I have imported the original documents again and the translations have been saved/remembered, so I now have second, working versions of the project files.

Now, my problem stems from the fact that unfortunately these are not showing up in the Resource Control panel when I try to export the files as a TMX.

Hi, ltempleman. I'm having the same problem, but I'm using an online server, so the TMs are not stored in my PC. Have you found a solution?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"general error" when trying to open memoQ

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »