Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
"general error" when trying to open memoQ
Thread poster: agnes_988

agnes_988
Local time: 07:53
Apr 29, 2010

hi everybody! i've downloaded MemoQ but it doesn't work. when I try to open it a window opens in which it is written : "Unable to load global application data. General error. " and then another one appears: "Language code map configuration file not found.
General error. " DETAILS :TYPE:
System.BadImageFormatException

MESSAGE:
Impossibile caricare il file o l'assembly '0 bytes loaded from System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' o una delle relative dipendenze. Tentativo di caricare un programma con un formato non corretto.

SOURCE:
mscorlib

CALL STACK:
in System.Reflection.Assembly.nLoadImage(Byte[] rawAssembly, Byte[] rawSymbolStore, Evidence evidence, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean fIntrospection)
in System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(Byte[] rawAssembly, Byte[] rawSymbolStore, Evidence securityEvidence)
in Microsoft.CSharp.CSharpCodeGenerator.FromFileBatch(CompilerParameters options, String[] fileNames)
in Microsoft.CSharp.CSharpCodeGenerator.FromSourceBatch(CompilerParameters options, String[] sources)
in Microsoft.CSharp.CSharpCodeGenerator.System.CodeDom.Compiler.ICodeCompiler.CompileAssemblyFromSourceBatch(CompilerParameters options, String[] sources)
in System.CodeDom.Compiler.CodeDomProvider.CompileAssemblyFromSource(CompilerParameters options, String[] sources)
in System.Xml.Serialization.Compiler.Compile(Assembly parent, String ns, XmlSerializerCompilerParameters xmlParameters, Evidence evidence)
in System.Xml.Serialization.TempAssembly.GenerateAssembly(XmlMapping[] xmlMappings, Type[] types, String defaultNamespace, Evidence evidence, XmlSerializerCompilerParameters parameters, Assembly assembly, Hashtable assemblies)
in System.Xml.Serialization.TempAssembly..ctor(XmlMapping[] xmlMappings, Type[] types, String defaultNamespace, String location, Evidence evidence)
in System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.GenerateTempAssembly(XmlMapping xmlMapping, Type type, String defaultNamespace)
in System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer..ctor(Type type, String defaultNamespace)
in System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer..ctor(Type type)
in MemoQ.Common.SerializationHelper.DeserializeXMLFile(Type objType, String filePath)
in MemoQ.Common.SerializationHelper.DeserializeXML(Type objType, String filePath)
in MemoQ.Common.LanguageCodeMapper..cctor()
------------------ Inner exception ------------------

TYPE:
System.BadImageFormatException

MESSAGE:
Formato IL non corretto.

SOURCE:


i hope someone could help me!!!


 

Péter Boldizsár  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 08:53
Member
Romanian to German
+ ...
similar error Apr 30, 2010

Hy,

I had a similar problem....so I think, at least.

When I was trying to open the program I received a general error, that some of the necessary files for running the program were missing from my computer.

I reinstalled the programm, then it worked for one time, but after restarting my PC, I would get the same error.

I have noticed that after restarting my PC the Memoq folder from C:\Documents and settings\All Users\Application Data would simply disappear.

I have asked the support team for help and they just said that I simply had to run the installer again. I did so without even uninstalling first and after several attempts it seems to be working.

I don't know why it works now, but it simply does.

I know that this is not much of a help, but anyways....

Regards,

Peter

P.S.

I don't know whether this might have made the difference, but I have also updated my operation system (windows) with all the automatic updates......which I haven't done for quite a long time.
I'm not very into PC related issues, so take my comments/advice just as the opinion of an amateur in this field.

[Edited at 2010-04-30 06:25 GMT]


 

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:53
French to Polish
+ ...
Uninstall, reinstall... Apr 30, 2010

agnes_988 wrote:

hi everybody! i've downloaded MemoQ but it doesn't work. when I try to open it a window opens in which it is written : "Unable to load global application data. General error. " and then another one appears: "Language code map configuration file not found.
General error. " DETAILS :TYPE:
System.BadImageFormatException

MESSAGE:
Impossibile caricare il file o l'assembly '0 bytes loaded from System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' o una delle relative dipendenze. Tentativo di caricare un programma con un formato non corretto.


Simply one of your files got corrupt.
Uninstall, reinstall.
It's the easiest way.
It should help in most staandard cases.

What's you operating system?
It's up to date (service packs. patches etc.)?

Cheers
GG


 

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 08:53
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Too many "general errors" Apr 30, 2010

I've had a lot of "general errors", too, with bad programming references of some sort, at various places in the program.

I send them to Kilgray but today they've told me that I cannot keep on doing that because I have bought the Standard edition and I am not eligible to support! As if I asked them for any guidance in how to solve a problem or something! I did not ask for any reply on their part, I just sent them the error messages thrown by their badly coded application!

Those guys used to be kind and courteous, and now this behaviour…

I've had enough with Wordfast, especially the so-called (for no good reason) PRO version, now with MemoQ. And Across can do a lot of things but it does not do them in a way that's appealing to me (and this UI of theirs... too 90s!).

Maybe it's time for a look at SDL Trados Studio for me, I think.


 

Kathrin Berger  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 18:53
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
memoQ Errors Apr 30, 2010

Hello fellow translators

I, too, have been experiencing error messages in memoQ (mainly when using pretranslate or the undo function).

I would be quite interested in testing whether uninstall/ reinstall makes any difference but I wonder if this would delete my TMs and term bases? Could anyone tell me if that is the case?


 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:53
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Definitely, update your system!!! Apr 30, 2010

I had big trouble installing MemoQ 4 on my Windows Vista machine and finally updating the system with Windows Update fixed it all. I strongly recommend to update the system and then reinstalling MemoQ!!

 

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 07:53
English to Czech
+ ...
Support May 6, 2010

Epameinondas wrote:
Those guys used to be kind and courteous, and now this behaviour…

In my experience, they are still very nice: perhaps they just misunderstood your efforts.

On the other hand, if there is a negative shift, my predictions have come true, namely the one claiming that the support quality is usually inversely proportional to the number of licenses sold.

I'm sorry for your experience, but I would still give the Kilgray guys one more chance.


 

Denis HAY  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:53
English to French
probably an issue with language settings May 14, 2010

Hi Epameinondas,

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

I've had a lot of "general errors", too, with bad programming references of some sort, at various places in the program.

I send them to Kilgray but today they've told me that I cannot keep on doing that because I have bought the Standard edition and I am not eligible to support!



Sorry to hear you encountered so many problems. From what I see of this general error message, it might come from something completely unrelated: the language setting.

As long as you have a fully updated Windows and .NET 3.5 framework, memoQ 4 and later will run smoothly, but a few strange quirks have been reported when using some localized builds.

It is true that the standard version, for financial reasons, does not come with guaranteed support, but we do sometimes offer direct help on top of what you can find online. Good sources of support for users of the 4Free and Standard editions would be the Yahoo mailing list (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MemoQ) and this section of the ProZ forum.

As for your own problem, could you please try the following and let me know if this fixes your problem?

• Upgrade to the latest memoQ version
• Make sure all updates are applied to your Windows OS and to the .NET Framework
• In memoQ, set the user interface language to English

If the problem persists, then send those errors you get to support@kilgray.com, I'll see what I can do to help you fix this.


 

Gergely Vandor
Hungary
Local time: 07:53
English to Hungarian
Standard edition does not include support May 16, 2010

Dear All,

It was me who was in contact with Epameinondas. It was basically a bad moment, and I immediatelly recognized I had been unfriendly and sent an apology and an explanation to him maybe five minutes later. I hope he received that email as well.

This is a touchy topic, but the Standard edition does not include any support. At the price point, we simply cannot provide it. I understand that we operate on a market, and if others can provide a product at a similar price to our Standard edition, with no technical problems and/or adequate free support, well, that is good for them and their users.

We are interested in feedback from Standard users. Reports about problems will always be read. We will try to reproduce the errors reported by them, and if we can identify bugs we'll correct them. But we can't guarantee an answer to these reports, and we can't provide direct help. It's not a good idea to make exceptions, because if a Standard user finds that another Standard user received full support from us, while (s)he didn't, it could get very embarassing.

To be honest with Standard users, they just need to be patient: the bugs they may report will most probably fixed anyway. What they do not get is the cosy feeling of care from the support team, or suggestions for working around their problems, or information about when they will be corrected, because that is simply not included in the price of the Standard edition. I beleive in most cases they can get similar help and care from the excellent user community here or on the Yahoo groups mailing list. Or if needed, they can buy support hours from Kilgray, or purchase the Translator Pro edition to become eligible for support.

Best regards,
Gergely Vandor

Kilgray

[Edited at 2010-05-16 20:48 GMT]


 

Gergely Vandor
Hungary
Local time: 07:53
English to Hungarian
localized versions May 17, 2010

Hi Denis,

Denis HAY wrote:

a few strange quirks have been reported when using some localized builds.



I don not know about any unresolved issues caused by localization. If you do, please report them to the programmer team instead of spreading it on Proz.icon_smile.gif Beta versions can have such problems, but that is another matter completely.

Bests,
Gergely


 

Hans G. Liepert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 07:53
English to German
+ ...
What kind of market do you serve? May 17, 2010

Gergely Vandor wrote:

We are interested in feedback from Standard users. ...

To be honest with Standard users, they just need to be patient:


You expect the user to report bugs, but you are not willing to help him (because "other users might be embarassed").

In which world do you live? Why should I use a program for professional translation, if I get no feedback (which you expect!)?

Should I tell my customers to be patient until Kilgray is ready for the market?

[Edited at 2010-05-17 23:42 GMT]


 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:53
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What is the status of this matter? May 18, 2010

Agnes, please let us know what the situation is. Have you updated your computer? Did that help? Does the problem persist?

 

Gergely Vandor
Hungary
Local time: 07:53
English to Hungarian
why are you so bitter? May 18, 2010

Dear Hans,

Providing support costs money, it is one of the biggest cost items for any software house. We get some income from Standard license purchases, but that income is simply not enough to cover the costs of providing support. Providing free support for the Standard edition would probably mean net loss for us. The lack of support is one of the things that make it possible to provide the Standard edition at the current price point.

We came to the market with this offer, a light edition without support, and everybody is free to choose it if they find it attractive. For those who need support, we offer other editions with free support. For those who don't want to pay a dime, we offer a free edition. As far as I know, some well known other vendors in this industry (who are arguably quite ready for the market) offer more expensive editions of their comparable translation tools without general free support. What do you say about them to your customers?

About "expecting" users to provide feedback: we don't expect them to. What power would we have to "coerce" anybody into providing feedback? If they do share their problems or thoughts, we will read them and take action if required.

Best regards,
Gergely Vandor

Kilgray


 

T F F  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:53
English to Italian
I really don't see your point here... May 21, 2010

Hans G. Liepert wrote:

Gergely Vandor wrote:

We are interested in feedback from Standard users. ...

To be honest with Standard users, they just need to be patient:


You expect the user to report bugs, but you are not willing to help him (because "other users might be embarassed").

In which world do you live? Why should I use a program for professional translation, if I get no feedback (which you expect!)?

Should I tell my customers to be patient until Kilgray is ready for the market?

[Edited at 2010-05-17 23:42 GMT]


There is a version (Translator Pro) with Support sold at 620 euro and another one (Standard) without Support sold at 149 euro...It's clearly stated on their website: so why complaining about having Support or its quality, if you decided not to have it?

As a MemoQ Pro user, I can assure that Kilgray does provide support for their products, and it's adequate, prompt and very friendly...actually - "quite rare" these days!
With Stanislav, I do hope they preserve this high level of service for the future and I personally see that selling low price products without support is a step toward both offering good entry level tool and preserving adequate support for people who actually need it!

My two cents,
Renato


 

agnes_988
Local time: 07:53
TOPIC STARTER
general error May 21, 2010

hi everybody!
unfortunately i've updated my pc, but the problem still persists.. i'll ask a technician to help me, hoping that he could solve my problem!

thank you all!


 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"general error" when trying to open memoQ

Advanced search






Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search