Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Germany
Local time: 18:21
Member (2007)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
May 14, 2010

MemoQ does not allow me to export an unfinished translation for test purposes - I get error messages about missing tags. How could I overcome this?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What is the purpose of the test? May 14, 2010

I'd say that you'd need to copy the source to the target in all segments (or in the still untranslated segments), and then export. That way all tags would be there in the target.

Now, would you mind telling us what is the purpose of the test? There might be alternatives to what you intend to do.

rmackay
rmackay
Local time: 17:21
export for test May 14, 2010

As Tomas says, you will need to add the source text to the target section to make the tags balance out. Generally, as a rule, doing this is the easiest way of being able to export an unfinished translation.

Slàinte - Ruairidh

Denis HAY
Denis HAY  Identity Verified
English to French
Copy source to target where empty May 14, 2010

Hi Marcos and Tomás,

If you want to export an unfinished document, proceed as follows:

• Export your document as MBD (memoQ bilingual)
• Open it and select Operations -> Copy source to target where empty
• Now you can export your document. All "untranslated" parts will simply show the original source text

• Once this is done, reimport the MBD you originally exported to restore your document to its previous state OR filter on "edi
... See more
Hi Marcos and Tomás,

If you want to export an unfinished document, proceed as follows:

• Export your document as MBD (memoQ bilingual)
• Open it and select Operations -> Copy source to target where empty
• Now you can export your document. All "untranslated" parts will simply show the original source text

• Once this is done, reimport the MBD you originally exported to restore your document to its previous state OR filter on "edited" rows only and clear them.
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Good practice in some cases... May 14, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I'd say that you'd need to copy the source to the target in all segments (or in the still untranslated segments), and then export. That way all tags would be there in the target.

True.
You must populate the target and resolve all the errors.

Now, would you mind telling us what is the purpose of the test? There might be alternatives to what you intend to do.

Well.
Sometimes you may have documents which simply refuse to export or export incorrectly.
It's better to know it a little bit earlier than in the last minute

E.g. I remember a lot of files I was unable to export in Trados and/or DVX with no apparent reasons (no QA warnings etc.), so I consider it may be a good practice for some tricky or huge files (kinda a 150 MB PPT one).
When the populated file doesn't export, you start to imagine workarounds BEFORE you start to work...

BTW.
Recently, I was unable to export a small 600 word INX file translated in Trados (in fact, only 50 words to do, so I did it directly in Trados...).
The segmentation wth an empty Trados TM and a retranslation in MQ did the trick.
Then TagEditor was able to export the file

For the export tests in Trados, see e.g. the KB article related to InDesign files:
http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=1936&p=1

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-05-14 08:57 GMT]

Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
checks and practicality May 14, 2010

"Now, would you mind telling us what is the purpose of the test? There might be alternatives to what you intend to do. "

The answer for this is obvious:

- check formatting
- check if the export is working (and not have a surprise 10 minutes before the deadline)
- check everything you want and need to check
- other reasons that might occur to you
- some other checks

the convert/export/import solution offered i
... See more
"Now, would you mind telling us what is the purpose of the test? There might be alternatives to what you intend to do. "

The answer for this is obvious:

- check formatting
- check if the export is working (and not have a surprise 10 minutes before the deadline)
- some other checks

the convert/export/import solution offered is extreeeeemely unpractical.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks a lot! May 14, 2010

Marcos Zattar wrote:
- check formatting
- some other checks

Indeed this makes sense.

However, I have never encountered a situation in which a file that correctly imports in MemoQ does not export in the end, so this is a check I never do. I might do it in very special cases, like INX files for instance, but other than that... I just go ahead and translate. In case of any trouble later on, I have the translations in the memory and can easily recover from import/export issues.

[Edited at 2010-05-14 10:23 GMT]

harbasz
harbasz
Luxembourg
English to Polish
+ ...
export/import May 14, 2010

Denis HAY wrote:

• reimport the MBD you originally exported to restore your document to its previous state OR filter on "edited" rows only and clear them.

Wouldn't it be easier to just use Operations > Clear Translations ... > Clear what (unconfirmed segments), without going the whole export/import route to restore the document to its original state after the test export?

Denis HAY
Denis HAY  Identity Verified
English to French
Depends on how you work… May 14, 2010

Grzegorz Harbaszewski wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier to just use Operations > Clear Translations ... > Clear what (unconfirmed segments), without going the whole export/import route to restore the document to its original state after the test export?

Hence my second suggestion. But some people prefer to type in everything, then confirm only afterwards. This is a bad practice, as you loose some leverage, but still, some people do that.

In such cases, there would be no easy way to distinguish the new "copied from source and unconfirmed" segments from the old "translated yet not confirmed" segments.

One way around that is to filter on anything not-empty, select all, lock segments, then only run the copy from source where empty. That way, you can clear anything you want later on. But for most people, a simple export/import is much easier than play around with filtered views and segments statuses.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Export for test

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »