Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 03:10
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Jun 16, 2010

Dear colleagues,

When I want to change the name of a MemoQ project, how do I do that? Do I just need to change the name of the project folder and/or of the .mpr file? Or do I change it “from inside”?

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards,

Olaf

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:10
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You cannot rename it Jun 16, 2010

You cannot rename a project by renaming the folder and the project file. If you try, MemoQ does not find the folder that corresponds to your project and will delete the project from the list of projects.

I think that basically you need to delete your project and create it again... I reckon it would be good to have a Rename option for project names.

Colombia
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Tomás! Jun 16, 2010

Actually, I saw your reply too late: I already changed the name of the project file and the name of the project folder.

Initially, my file and folder were named like this: XXX_2010-06-21

Then, because the deadline was changed from June 21 to June 18, I changed the name of both the file and the folder to: XXX_2010-06-18

Now I have the following situation:
- a project folder called XXX_2010-06-18
- inside that folder, an .mpr file called XXX_2010-06-18 and another .mpr file called XXX_2010-06-21
- when in my Dashboard, the project is still shown with the old name: XXX_2010-06-21

So it looks like a nice little mess

So I will now (1) I update the TM, (2) delete my project, (3) create a new project and (4) pretranslate the new project with the TM.

And I totally agree with you: it should be possible to change the name of a project. This is one of the things I am going to put on my wishlist for Kilgray!

Kind regards,

Olaf

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Take MemoQ as a workroom, not an archive Jun 16, 2010

Personally I'd say MemoQ is great as the engine where you do your work, but not that practical for archiving purposes. Since we usually get recurrent work from our customers (and in the case of agencies, their end customers), we have projects created for each end customer, like:

- Agency ABC-End customer 123
- Agency ABC-End customer 456
- Agency FGH-End customer nnn
- Direct customer AA-User Guides
- Direct customer AA-Software localisation

Yes, this means a number of projects there (right now after almost a year of use we have some 40 projects in total, each with their separate memory, and in may case also specific termbases), but when new work comes from a certain customer and end customer, we only have to replace the files in the Translations pane and it's all nice and prepared to start immediately. It's all there already and we save quite some time preparing projects.

Once you have completed the translation in MemoQ, you can export bilingual files / monolingual files to a folder in which you will archive them definitely, and in this archive folder is where you can state the completion date, rename as you wish, move to offline media, etc.

So in a way we use MemoQ as a workroom to which we grab the translatables, work on them, and then store them outside of MemoQ in a reasonably organised manner.

Creating and keeping individual projects in MemoQ for each individual task you get from a customer will mean that you will end up with an enormous list of projects that will not be very practical in the long run.

Just do not hesitate to ask (also over email) if you need any clarification.

Colombia
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My folder/file organisation Jun 16, 2010

Hi again Tomás,

Until recently, I only worked with Déja Vu and I had the following system: For each new project, I created a new project file with the following name:

Agency name_End customer name_Language combination_Year-month-day

To give a random example:
Agency AAA_End client XXX_EN-DE_2010-05-30
Agency AAA_End client YYY_ES-DE_2010-06-03
Agency BBB_End client ZZZ_FR-DE_2010-06-04
(and so on)

So it's not that difficult from your system, if I understood you correctly?

Kind regards,

Olaf

[Edited at 2010-06-16 17:23 GMT]

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A new project each time means lost time... Jun 16, 2010

...assigning memories, termbases, settings, etc. That is why we keep projects by customer/end customer and only need to manage the files (i.e. remove completed files and add the new ones) in order to start translating.

Personally I find that reusable projects is more practical than creating projects in MemoQ. By archiving the materials for a project and the finished files outside of MemoQ in an archiving structure, we can manage, store, delete, rename, move to offline, etc. as we desire. At the same time, we keep MemoQ's project list simple and light.

To me it feels that, with your current scheme, once a project is finished it remains in your project list (the Manage projects screen) forever, but with very little use since you will create a new project every time...

Edited to add this: Well, of course you can always hide projects from MemoQ's project list when you have completed them. I think however that you lose quite some time creating the projects. Additionally, by keeping projects within MemoQ, you somewhat lose the possibility to move/delete/rename projects any way you like.

[Edited at 2010-06-16 17:29 GMT]

Colombia
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting Jun 16, 2010

I will be thinking about your system

One more question for now: do you put all MemoQ project folders, term bases and translation memories into the same folder?

Or do you have one folder for the projects, one folder for the term bases and one folder for the translation memories?

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Memories, termbases and settings are in a central MemoQ folder Jun 16, 2010

I have never used Deja Vu, so I cannot tell how they organise memories etc. I am also a user of Trados, and in that case you have a file-based translation memory you can basically move to wherever you wish.

In the case of MemoQ, the memories, termbases, and settings are stored in a defined MemoQ folders. You basically create a memory only once and don't need to move it. In order to move it or rename it, you can export its contents, delete the old memory, create a new one and import the exported contents.

You will normally only have one copy of each memory, which you use and feed time and time again as more projects of the same kind come along. This of course calls for careful work: never leave a job unreviewed (if you finish translating a file, you should not replace the file with a new version sent by the customer before reviewing the older file), so that your memories always contain reviewed/proofread contents before you use them in new projects.

Now, the location where all of MemoQ's resources are stored is customizable, and you will find it in Tools > Options > Locations. The "light resources" are settings like QA settings, non-translatables settings, etc. etc.

I'd locate all these resources in subfolders of a central MemoQ folder on your server or main machine, so that you can easily include all these resources in your backup methods. You will never delete or rename these folders for your main resources.

You can also place your projects in a less permanent folder, maybe separate from the main resources.

In our case we have MemoQ Server, and our memories, termbases, resources, and even projects, etc. are all stored in the server, but in the case of a standalone version you can neatly organise all resources in different folders.

I hope this is useful!

Edward edbradburn
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Tomas, thanks for this idea Nov 16, 2011

Just wanted to add my thanks for explaining your system.

I'm aiming to streamline my systems (I have at least two others for billing and scheduling) and the idea of "stub projects" that are edited each time rather than new projects that are created each time makes a lot of sense!

Cheers,

Ed

Dorothy Schaps  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2010)
German to English
Brilliant idea Tomás! Nov 18, 2011

I will definitely be putting this on my to do list!

hhgygy
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Rename projects in MemoQ May 22, 2016

Just for the record (if someone would google on this question like I did). In MemoQ 2015, you can easily rename your project. (Close your project) click on Manage Projects and rename your project.
I found that you need to restart MemoQ for the new project name to appear.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing the name of a MemoQ project

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search