Transferring TM (via TMX) from Across -> memoQ (Export 'Rich Translation Memory information' or not)
Thread poster: Michael Beijer

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:11
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 24, 2010

OK, here is what I am trying to do:

I want to export a (456,379 segment) TM from Across Personal Edition into memoQ Pro 4.

In the Export dialogue in Across, I am presented with several options:
-----------------
() TMX Backup
(X) TMX Export for Translation Memory Exchange with other CAT tools

(X) Export Rich Translation Memory information
() Export context information
() Export usage history information
-----------------

Can anyone suggest whether or not I should select to export the Rich Translation Memory information? (And possibly, even better, what this actually means:)

Thanks!

Cheng Peng  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 13:11
Member (2010)
English to Chinese
+ ...
optional Jun 25, 2010

hi

I think the option "TMX Export for Translation Memory Exchange with other CAT tools" is required. Rich TM info is optional.

rmackay
rich text Jun 28, 2010

I would try it with just the first option and if there were any issues then try it again with the second one.

As far as I know, the rich text option is not a necessary one.

regards - Ruairidh

Gergely Vandor
Hungary
Local time: 07:11
English to Hungarian
what is Across? ;) Jun 28, 2010

Hello Michael,

I think the information you need should be in the Across documentation. Maybe rich information refers to formatting and tags, and turning it off results in plain text export? If it isn't documented, then you could make a quick test with some sample material and check the differences in the TM editor of memoQ.

If it is about formatting and tags, it still is an interestng choice, since it is quite likely that Across represents those in a way that is not directly recognized by memoQ, in which case the "clean" version could be just as useful, or even better.

Best regards,
Gergely Vandor
Kilgray

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved. New question. Jun 29, 2010

Thanks everyone!

I decided to export without the 'Rich Translation Memory information,' and everything is now happily working in memoQ. I do have one question still, but it is unrelated to this one. I asked it here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/174251-why_are_concordance_search_terms_vertically_squashed_in_memoq_see_image.html

(In memoQ, when I do a Concordance search, the term I am searching for is displayed vertically squashed in the middle, and I cannot resize the windows. Is this a bug in the GUI, or simply a missing feature?)

Gergely, you wouldn't happen to be able to answer this one, too, would you? Btw, it's great to see someone from memoQ in these forums!

Thanks!

Michael

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Vertically squashed Jun 29, 2010

So by "vertically squashed" you mean that it's spilt into two lines with what is usually called word wrap?
"Vertically squashed in the middle" means, to me, that the characters in the middle are less tall than the rest.

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"[M]emoQ's Funny Looking Mandatory Non-Resizable Concordance Window Wordwrap Feature." Jun 29, 2010

Perhaps 'vertically squashed' wasn't the best way to describe the problem. 'Horizontally squashed,' might actually have been better, or better yet, maybe I should have alluded to 'word wrap(ping)', as you suggested. Hmm. In any case, it looks funny, and I don't like it.

On a side note, has anyone figured out yet if it is a bug or a (lack of a) feature yet?

"Beleggingscommissie" becomes:

Beleggin
gscomm
issie

"Kleuterdagverblijf" becomes:

Kleute
rdagver
blijf

(Both obviously very disquieting.)

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
what is Across? ;) Jul 1, 2010

It's a thing you carry icon_smile.gif

Gergely Vandor wrote:

If it is about formatting and tags, it still is an interestng choice, since it is quite likely that Across represents those in a way that is not directly recognized by memoQ, in which case the "clean" version could be just as useful, or even better.

Seriously speaking, make both exports and make a test using a text you translated previously in Across.
A interesting practice is to make both exports and merge 'em.
For some texts, one choice will be better, for others, the second one.

The laziness rulez.

Cheers
GG

transjura (X)
German to English
+ ...
Across-memoq tmx export: no details exported Mar 24, 2011

Dear all,

I did not manage to transfer my tmx from across to memoq, but it worked when I exported the file to sdl trados 2007 and then to memoq. Yet, all project data (customer etc.) was lost in the process. Any ideas how this could be remedied?

Thank you all so much. And yes: memoq is a nice tool.

Carola

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transferring TM (via TMX) from Across -> memoQ (Export 'Rich Translation Memory information' or not)

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search