Using MemoQ across a non-agency set-up
Thread poster: madak

madak  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:16
Swedish to English
+ ...
Jul 14, 2010

Before contacting Kilgray's sales team, I would appreciate some input from colleagues who have more experience with MemoQ than I do. This is the situation:

I work in-house in a non-agency company which has multilingual offerings, mainly web based. We work with 10 languages as well as a number of English variants and our translators/content mangers are spread all over the world.

Until now the approach to localisation has been somewhat erratic, most languages are translated/localised without any professional tools, only our in-house CMS as well as Notepad, although some locales have been using single licences of SDL Trados and Deja Vu.

Some content is very country-specific, it has to be fully localised rather than translated. Even so, I think a proper localisation tool would be an advantage.

I'm now trying to work out the most cost effective way of introducing this. So my questions to those who already use MemoQ are:

What would be the most cost effective way of introducing MemoQ across all our offices?

Some of our offices have only one person responsible for translation/content
Some of our offices have two or more persons responsible for translation/content
Some of our offices have one or person responsible for translation/content, but another person who occasionally up dates content

Any thoughts about the set-uo we might need? Can we manage on basic licenses or do we need to buy professional ones? Or might a server licence be preferable?

Direct link Reply with quote Turn social sharing on.
Like 13

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:16
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Definitely a server setup Jul 15, 2010

In my opinion, the best approach would be a server setup. You could have your in-house server, manage the projects from it. MemoQ server easily allows you to prepare projects and assign files and tasks --with deadlines if you wish-- to the individuals in the team. You can have three different roles for the people in the team: traslator, first reviewer and proofreader. You can also decide who acts in each of these roles on a file level, split large files among several people if needed, and keep things nicely under control.

Let me share some quick thoughts about things you should probably discuss with Kilgray:

- Licenses: (I have deleted my comments about this aspect as Grzegorz's answer is clearer.)

- Updates: Kilgray publish new updates almost every week. Since working with server and workstations in different releases can cause some behavior discrepancies (although rather benign actually), it is best if everyone upgrades at the same time. You will have to agree with all team members that upgrades to their MemoQ setups are only done, for instance, every end of the month or every couple of months (or whenever you all agree or decide, if some new feature comes around that you feel is interesting to have immediately). Upgrading the server really takes 5 minutes (basically stopping MemoQ server --which disconnects the users from the projects--, running the new release package, and starting MemoQ server), and upgrading the workstations does not even require any time because you simply enable an option and MemoQ upgrades itself in the background when you close it. Something you must remember is that, while you update the server, people cannot work on projects. It might be a good idea to warn the team in advance of the time of the update just to avoid any discomfort. No on-going work is lost when you stop the server though, so there is no risk of losing work. Your translator would simply notice that, for 5 minutes, he/she has lost contact with the server.

- Workability of segments in marketing materials: In my opinion, MemoQ Server's only major drawback today is the fact that you cannot expand/shrink segments in online projects (an online project is a project hosted in the server). You cannot combine two segments into one if your translation demands to produce one sentence out of two source segments. We overcome this by translating each half of the target sentence in different segments in MemoQ. It is not the ideal solution as there is always the risk that a chunk of a sentence is reused in an unappropriate context when you automatically pretranslate a document in a project. I must say however that MemoQ retains context information, so you can always ensure that all reused segments will be nicely in place and will fit the rest, by simply pretranslating with context information (it gives you 101% matches, instead of the regular, no-context 100% matches from Trados).

- Full localisation: You say that your documents require full localisation rather than translation. I assume that this means that your documents require deletions, additions, target sentences that can be different depending on the product because of statutory requirements, etc. MemoQ is a translation tool, so in my opinion your full localisation might require two steps: first translating the document so that the memory is a true one (i.e. that for each source meaning you hold an equivalent target meaning), and then a second localisation step for the additions, deletions, statutory changes, etc.
(In the case of several possible targets for a source, MemoQ stores and lets you select among the different possible translations, so statutory changes of sentences depending on the product or service is not a big issue really.)

- First users of a CAT tool: I am pretty certain that your translators would actually enjoy using MemoQ, and it is a rather intuitive tool. However, some translators might be reluctant to spend time learning a new tool, or learning to use CAT tools, for that matter. If you have a chance to do so, I would arrange a training session for all who can reasonably attend, or would try to arrange an end-user training session offered by Kilgray in a webinar. This way you will have a smoother kickstart and happier, more confident users.

These are my first thoughts about your situation. I will love to keep discussing this as it looks like a very interesting project!

Although we work fully in-house, our experiences with MemoQ Server over the last year have been tremendously positive and we would never back to a non-server situation. Our performance has increased dramatically with MemoQ, have a better control of our projects (normally recurring projects and frequent all new documents for about 50 regular end-customers and about 20 agencies), and save an enormous amount of time preparing work, as we reuse our created projects by simply adding and deleting files as we go. We don't create a project for each task (although creating a fully defined project really takes 3-4 minutes), and are ready to teamwork within a few minutes of receiving a job. Sometimes it takes us far longer to record the job in our task list than adding it to MemoQ. I will gladly explain all this over the phone if you finally decide to purchase MemoQ.

Let us know what you decide!

[Edited at 2010-07-15 05:45 GMT]

Like 17

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Server in the main office... Jul 15, 2010

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

(...)

I'm now trying to work out the most cost effective way of introducing this. So my questions to those who already use MemoQ are:

What would be the most cost effective way of introducing MemoQ across all our offices?

Some of our offices have only one person responsible for translation/content
Some of our offices have two or more persons responsible for translation/content
Some of our offices have one or person responsible for translation/content, but another person who occasionally up dates content

Any thoughts about the set-uo we might need? Can we manage on basic licenses or do we need to buy professional ones? Or might a server licence be preferable?

Decidely, a server with the online documents.
In this case, you may have centralized TMs, termbases etc, and you may setup a project once for all the translators etc.

It seems the basic setup may be enough fr you (ServerFive, ie. 5 mobile user licenses, including 2 project manager and 3 pro licenses).
If you take in the account the client license server feature (ELM), you don't need to buy a licence for every effective user, they'll simply borrow 'em if necessary.
If the license pool is often exhausted by concurrent users, you may consider additional licenses.

Of course, you can select the cheapest solution (one year Standard licence for all users) but, in this case, you can't setup multilingual projects, the project organization may be affected (the frequent data exchange between multiple stand alone MQ station is a pain in the arse), and after some time, you'll experience a lot of problems with the TM/termbase synchronization.
In a larger perspective, the server is more cost effective although the initial purchase is not cheap.
Nonetheless, it will be damn cheaper than T.

Cheers
GG

Like 18

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Licenses Jul 15, 2010

A second thought about the licenses: I now notice that you meant to say that all translators working in the projects are company employees. In this case I'd go for floating licenses you can assign as needed. I am not very familiar with the workflow of using these licenses. Maybe you want to ask Kilgray whether the licenses are assigned automatically on a first-come, first-serve basis and made available again automatically when a translator closes MemoQ, or whether you have to assign them manually, which could prove to be a bit cumbersome sometimes.

Like 6

French to Polish
+ ...
Returning licenses... Jul 15, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

A second thought about the licenses: I now notice that you meant to say that all translators working in the projects are company employees. In this case I'd go for floating licenses you can assign as needed. I am not very familiar with the workflow of using these licenses. Maybe you want to ask Kilgray whether the licenses are assigned automatically on a first-come, first-serve basis and made available again automatically when a translator closes MemoQ, or whether you have to assign them manually, which could prove to be a bit cumbersome sometimes.

Probably the best solution is a mixed one.
I.e. you may asign permanent licences for main/permanent users (let's say, project managers) and leave some licenses for casual users.

The only possible functional problem with the "floating" licenses is they are not returned automatically when MQ is closed, you must do it manually from the Activation window.
But it should not be a blocking issue.
If necessary, the server administrator may free up (revoke) a licence when the user can't do it.

Cheers
GG

Like 8

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Floating licenses Jul 15, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
The only possible functional problem with the "floating" licenses is they are not returned automatically when MQ is closed, you must do it manually from the Activation window.
But it should not be a blocking issue.

Indeed. I see reasons for and against the automatic return of the licenses upon closing MemoQ. It would be great to have the license returned immediately, but if the translator just closed MemoQ for a moment for some reason in the middle of the project and got no available license upon restarting MemoQ, it would not feel very nice either...

Like 6

madak  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both Jul 15, 2010

I was hoping you two would see this thread

One final question, does the pricing for the server version work the same as for professional? I.e. annual update of licence for 20% of full cost.

Like 3

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes! Jul 15, 2010

One final question, does the pricing for the server version work the same as for professional? I.e. annual update of licence for 20% of full cost.

Indeed. 20% after the first year. Given the pace of developments I have seen during the last year, it is most reasonable in my opinion. Just do not hesitate to ask about this! I will help as much as I can.

Like 15

French to Polish
+ ...
Possible hidden costs Jul 15, 2010

I was hoping you two would see this thread

Huh, huh...

One thing more.
Every purchase like this may have some hidden costs.
I.e., up to five users, you can use every flavour of Windows and MS SQL Server, including the free Express Edition.

Above 5 users, you'll probably need a Windows server and the necessary client access licenses (CAL).
If the amount of your data gets really great (really, really great...), you may be forced to buy MS SQL Server Standard, which is expensive.
You should take it in the account.

Ask Kilgray.
I never had an opportunity to test it, i.e. the number of CALs was always sufficient and I never cared about it, so It may work or no.
Now, I have no adinistrative access to a Windows server with a MQ server installed, so I can't check it for you.

If you haven't yet a Windows server, the cheapest solution is some Small Business Server, if you think your data will grow exponentially, consider the Premium version, it contains some "full size" SQL server.

Another time, ask Kilgray, they have a better review of their customers, they should give you a precise info.
AFAIK nobody in my neighbourhood needs SQL Standard.

Cheers
GG

Like 9

madak  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Servers and SQL should not be an issue for my company Jul 15, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Above 5 users, you'll probably need a Windows server and the necessary client access licenses (CAL).
If the amount of your data gets really great (really, really great...), you may be forced to buy MS SQL Server Standard, which is expensive.

The company is pretty large, does about 90% of business online and roughly 40% of employees are in IT. If this company can't handle server or SQL issues, no one can

Although the company allocates serious resources to IT, I feel, and these are my personal feelings should anyone connect my name with any company, that they do not consider or allow for enough localisation resources or expertise.

The basic idea sometimes appears to be:

ability to speak a language = translator
word language x = word language y (always)
translation = typing
google translate = translation

It now looks like I've got enough on my feet, and the support of at least one person with a bit of say on this, to get this potential project rolling.

Thank you both again.

Like 6

French to Polish
+ ...
Don't think, just translate :) Jul 16, 2010

The basic idea sometimes appears to be:

ability to speak a language = translator
word language x = word language y (always)
translation = typing
google translate = translation

Having worked several years in/for IT companies, I can't but confirm...
Quoting my former boss, "don't think, just translate"

Cheers
GG

Like 14

Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
no Windows CALs are needed, SQL Express will most likely be enough Jul 16, 2010

Hi Grzegorz,

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

One thing more.
Every purchase like this may have some hidden costs.
I.e., up to five users, you can use every flavour of Windows and MS SQL Server, including the free Express Edition.

No Windows CALs are needed, memoQ server does not use anything that would require CALs.

It is highly unlikely that anybody would need SQL Server Standard for memoQ. TMs and TBs are not stored in the memoQ server database. Without online documents, all the database contains is user information, project information and other similar very lightweight things. It is nowhere near the limit of SQL Express.

If online documents are used, the database also contains the contents of the segments of the online documents. (But not the full documents, with their graphics etc.) I can't give a number of the top of my head, but it must take an extreme amount of text to get to the SQL Express limit.

Best regards,
Gergely

[Edited at 2010-07-16 15:47 GMT]

Like 9

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
MS SQL Express -> 4 GB Jul 16, 2010

Gergely Vandor wrote:
If online documents are used, the database also contains the contents of the segments of the online documents. (But not the full documents, with their graphics etc.) I can't give a number of the top of my head, but it must take an extreme amount of text to get to the SQL Express limit.

I think the size limit for the database in SQL Express is 4 GB. Indeed it would take an awful lot of segments (something like 80 million segments of 50 characters each) to fill the database...

Like 15

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using MemoQ across a non-agency set-up

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search