https://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/176116-memoqs_concordance_is_still_scrunching.html

Off topic: memoQ's concordance is still scrunching...
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:34
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jul 22, 2010

description of the photo

(am I the only person that doesn't like the way
memoQ's concordance window displays long words?)

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 10:34
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
You're not alone Jul 22, 2010

It doesn't look right, definitely. There are some other places which need UI changes in order to become more usable: e.g. the windows where you can add/modify auto-translatables, non-translatables, terminology… For one thing, they need to be more spacious, both with regard to their text fields and the window itself (and why is it that we can't resize those windows?).

Apart from those 'cosmetic' (but essential) changes, we need the power of regular expressions in more places than n
... See more
It doesn't look right, definitely. There are some other places which need UI changes in order to become more usable: e.g. the windows where you can add/modify auto-translatables, non-translatables, terminology… For one thing, they need to be more spacious, both with regard to their text fields and the window itself (and why is it that we can't resize those windows?).

Apart from those 'cosmetic' (but essential) changes, we need the power of regular expressions in more places than now. I'm thinking particulary of the terminology window. The asterisk/pipe (*/|) alone is not enough, period. In languages with rich morphology at word level, we need the full set of regular expressions, as available when setting up segmentation rules and auto-translation rules.

But the guys from memoQ have never let us down, so I really hope they implement those improvements later this year, or, at least, in version 5.0 of memoQ.

Here's an example for the usefulness of regular expressions in terminology:

— άνθρωπος (nominative case) becomes ανθρώπου (genitive case)

With the asterisk/pipe alone, all I can do is this: άνθρωπ*ος or άνθρωπ|ος, i.e. separate the stem from the suffix. But, as you can see, there is also a change in the accented letter: in the nominative it is "ά" that carries the accent; in the genitive it is "ώ" that carries the accent.

Here's the solution (well one of them, presumably the simplest):

— [άα]νθρ[ώω]π|ος

The guys from memoQ told me that to do this the entire terminology module has to be re-written. I don't understand why they have to do this, but I'm not a programmer, and I trust them 100%.

[Edited at 2010-07-22 16:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-07-22 16:52 GMT]
Collapse

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
Local time: 09:34
English to Hungarian
compromises... Jul 29, 2010

Hello Michael,

Yes, this is a bit ugly, but imagine what happened if memoQ automatically resized the columns to give space to longer search expressions. Then the other two columns would become narrower, and the portions before and after the search phrase would look ugly and would be more difficult to scan.

This affects relatively few languages where words can get this long (German, Hungarian, etc). And I would call this a cosmetic issue, not a usability issue. After al
... See more
Hello Michael,

Yes, this is a bit ugly, but imagine what happened if memoQ automatically resized the columns to give space to longer search expressions. Then the other two columns would become narrower, and the portions before and after the search phrase would look ugly and would be more difficult to scan.

This affects relatively few languages where words can get this long (German, Hungarian, etc). And I would call this a cosmetic issue, not a usability issue. After all, you do know what you were searching for, do you?

Best regards,
Gergely

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

(am I the only person that doesn't like the way
memoQ's concordance window displays long words?)

[Edited at 2010-07-29 11:32 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:34
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Cosmetic Compromise Leads To Scrunching In Industry Leading CAT Tool" Jul 29, 2010

Thanks Gergely,

Yes, after having given it some thought, I think it is best this way.

After all, I think it is preferable to scrunch the middle rather than both of the sides;)

Michael

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:34
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The ideal situation Jul 29, 2010

Ideally, MemoQ could have a hyphenation dictionary for those languages that have very long words, and could use the hyphenation to show the word in the same space but properly hyphenated in several lines so that it looks a bit better or clearer to read.

However, the need to spend processing time and resources to this matter must be balanced with the need of simplicity and efficiency. I translate from German and also feel this is an issue, but after all will accept a less-than-ideal
... See more
Ideally, MemoQ could have a hyphenation dictionary for those languages that have very long words, and could use the hyphenation to show the word in the same space but properly hyphenated in several lines so that it looks a bit better or clearer to read.

However, the need to spend processing time and resources to this matter must be balanced with the need of simplicity and efficiency. I translate from German and also feel this is an issue, but after all will accept a less-than-ideal appearance for the global efficiency I get with MemoQ.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

memoQ's concordance is still scrunching...

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »