MemoQ and Java properties files
Thread poster: Madeleine MacRae Klintebo

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:51
Swedish to English
+ ...
Jul 29, 2010

A few more questions for those of you who have more MemoQ experience than me.

It looks like I'm getting a somewhat positive response from those in my in-house company who are in a position to approve the purchase of a CAT/TEnT solution. As mentioned before - www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/175625-using_memoq_across_a_non_agency_set_up.html - my preferred program is MemoQ as I find it very intuitive and most of my colleagues responsible for translation/writing original copy have no background in translation nor with any kind of translation tools.

This is a possible scenario:

The company is soon to upgrade an application, This will involve translation of a number of extensive Java properties files - file type .properties. This is not a file type supported by MemoQ. What would be the best approach to these?

The files consist of string like these:

blah.something.morespecifidied=Click on the button

However, sometimes there's one or more spaces between the = and the subsequent text.

Currently, translating without any kind of CAT, we just replace the text after the "="

Is there any way we can format the strings to "hide" the string identifier? I.e. only see and translate the part after the "=" and then export a file containing both string identifier and translated text.

BTW, we currently receive the files as .properties and then have to open Notepad, select "All files" to be able to view them.

[Edited at 2010-07-29 21:02 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:51
French to Polish
+ ...
XLIFF... Jul 29, 2010

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

Currently, translating without any kind of CAT, we just replace the text after the "="

Is there any way we can format the strings to "hide" the string identifier? I.e. only see and translate the part after the "=" and then export a file containing both string identifier and translated text.

Probably the most sound way to process Java properties is XLIFF.
E.g. see http://www.maxprograms.com/articles/xliff.html

You can also use regular expressions but the XLIFF way is a standard solution and is already open.

Cheers
GG

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're way beyond my knowledge sphere here Jul 29, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Probably the most sound way to process Java properties is XLIFF.
E.g. see http://www.maxprograms.com/articles/xliff.html

You can also use regular expressions but the XLIFF way is a standard solution and is already open.

Cheers
GG

I have a very basic knowledge of xml and none of xliff. How do I convert .properties files into XLFF
which I presume is some kind of XML?

[Edited at 2010-07-29 21:35 GMT]

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Okapi Framework Jul 29, 2010

I recommend using Okapi Framework:

http://okapi.opentag.com/index.html

While it might be seem complicated at first glance (and maybe second) and the documentation is not as extensive as it might be, this tool is really powerful.

In particular, what you want to use is Rainbow - this will allow you to process the .properties with regular expressions and get a nice XLIFF file as a result. This can be very well translated with MemoQ.

In the past I have used several workflows (including "untranslatable" formatting in Word, Trados regex filters, Excel columns etc.) and this is most flexible and useful.

Edit: come to think of it, if there are no other "=" (or tab) characters in your file, the Excel route might actually be easier.

That is, import the file as "data" in Excel specifying "=" as the separation sign. Then you can import the Excel file into MemoQ (Import as) selecting for translation only the relevant column. After that save as tab-formatted and replace the tabs with "=". Of course, you have to mind the starting space (if it exists) during translation.

Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
wait a sec... are you sure there is no Java properties filer in memoQ? Jul 29, 2010

There is.

In fact, we invested heavily into this format. It is a quite special filter because it also handles HTML embedded into a Java properties file. HTML is very common inside properties files, and your HTML tags will be nice inline tags inside memoQ: you will have the normal productivity features to handle them and the QA functionality to check them.

Best regards,
Gergely

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Yeah, sure... Jul 29, 2010

Gergely Vandor wrote:

There is.

Yeah, right! Admit it, you have just added it to MQ upon reading this topic I know your tricks by now!

French to Polish
+ ...
Aaaaargh.... Jul 29, 2010

BTW, we currently receive the files as .properties and then have to open Notepad, select "All files" to be able to view them.

Aaaaargh...
Anything but Notepad...
Any normal text editor is better.
E.g. try Notepad++

Cheers
GG

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm very happy to hear bout this, but... Jul 29, 2010

Gergely Vandor wrote:

There is.

In fact, we invested heavily into this format. It is a quite special filter because it also handles HTML embedded into a Java properties file. HTML is very common inside properties files, and your HTML tags will be nice inline tags inside memoQ: you will have the normal productivity features to handle them and the QA functionality to check them.

Your site makes no mention if this:

http://www.kilgray.com/products/memoq/formats-and-languages

French to Polish
+ ...
Being a lazy bastard... Jul 29, 2010

Gergely Vandor wrote:

In fact, we invested heavily into this format.

Well, it takes at least 3 years I didn't see a .properties file but even in this case, it seems I'm too lazy and/or too blind...

Cheers
GG

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What I would do if I ddn't have access to Dreamweaver Jul 29, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
E.g. try Notepad++

Which my colleagues don't have access to.

[Edited at 2010-07-29 21:39 GMT]

French to Polish
+ ...
Freeware Jul 29, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
E.g. try Notepad++

Which my colleagues don't have access to

It's a freeware tool.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/notepad-plus
Just download it and, if necessary, persuade your admin to allow it.
You'll never regret Notepad.

BTW.
N++ is only an example.
The choice of a good text editor is often a pure hazard.

Cheers
GG

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I've got it installed already Jul 29, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

E.g. try Notepad++

[/quote]

Just have to train younger, less IT savvy, colleagues.

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try to find a moment to check this out tomorrow Jul 29, 2010

Gergely Vandor wrote:

There is.

Best regards,
Gergely

Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
possibilities Jul 29, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
Well, it takes at least 3 years I didn't see a .properties file but even in this case, it seems I'm too lazy and/or too blind...

Or it could be that Kilgray spent a bit more on it than it's really worth. I think it must happen to everyone occasionally. All the better for Madeleine.

We do know that it is in use out there, there are already some improvements and new features implemented in the filter based on user feedback.

Bests,
Gergely

French to Polish
+ ...
Having my blinkers on... Jul 30, 2010

Gergely Vandor wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Or it could be that Kilgray spent a bit more on it than it's really worth. I think it must happen to everyone occasionally.

Well, as a lot of my customers (mainly structural engeneering) need really down-to-Earth formats they often manage in an awful way, my real life file format experiences are often somehow limited...
E.g., I'm happy when they send well formed PDFs instead of some scanned crap
And in the localization, I work mainly with rc an resx.

All the better for Madeleine.

Yep, really nice...

Cheers
GG

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ and Java properties files

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search