https://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/178453-subscript_and_superscript_in_memoq.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Subscript and superscript in MemoQ
Thread poster: Pavel Nikonorkin
Pavel Nikonorkin
Pavel Nikonorkin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 05:15
Member (2007)
English to Russian
Aug 22, 2010

When translating doc-files with MemoQ I need to make some text superscript or subscript.
Is there any way to make target text superscript or subscript if source text does not contain such formatting?
(TagEditor provides such a possibility with tag toolbar).
If it is impossible could it be implemented in future versions of MemoQ (like bold formatting)?

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:15
French to Polish
+ ...
Insert new online tag Aug 22, 2010

Pavel Nikonorkin wrote:

When translating doc-files with MemoQ I need to make some text superscript or subscript.
Is there any way to make target text superscript or subscript if source text does not contain such formatting?

Basically, menu, Format, Insert new online tag, then the comportment differs depending of the file format.
For some files e.g. HTML, you have a list including the super and sub tags, for INX, you should create your own list.
The tags should be paired, i.e. you should define both opening and closing pair.
In most cases you can also copy these inline tags from other segments.
Of course, you'll receive a warning you should acknowledge.

If it is impossible could it be implemented in future versions of MemoQ (like bold formatting)?

I think it should be improved.
Unlike the "linguistic" behaviour, sometimes the formatting may be fastidious.

Cheers
GG

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't think it is possible! Aug 22, 2010

Pavel Nikonorkin wrote:

You do have bold formatting in MemoQ with DOC documents. Simply select the text to bold and choose the "B" icon in the toolbar, press Ctrl+B, or choose Format > Bold. Similar process with underline and Italics.

Maybe Kilgray's people correct me about this, but as for superscript and subscript for DOC files in MemoQ, I don't think it is possible. You might have to leave some special keyboard (starting and ending) in your translation in MemoQ and use Edit/Replace in MS Word with the exported document to find and format the bits. If they are many, you can use Word's format replacement options to do that in a few steps.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Can you explain why? Aug 22, 2010

Pavel Nikonorkin wrote:

I am just curious. Can you tell us why do you have to make the text superscript or subscript when it was not in that format in the source language? Is it something linked to the spelling or grammar of your mother tongue?

Pavel Nikonorkin
Russian Federation
Member (2007)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
There are several cases Aug 22, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
Can you tell us why do you have to make the text superscript or subscript when it was not in that format in the source language? Is it something linked to the spelling or grammar of your mother tongue?

1. Poorly formatted doc-file generated from PDF (e.g. m2). Some texts contain lots of terms (Cmax, Tmax) which should be used in subscript.
2. Сubic centimeter (сс) > cm3. I can not use "cc" in Russian and should replace it with "cm3"

It is possible to make all formatting in MS Word but it is not handy at all. If it is possible in TagEditor why it is impossible to implement in MemoQ.

[Edited at 2010-08-22 19:04 GMT]

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Translate a TTX in MemoQ Aug 22, 2010

Pavel Nikonorkin wrote:
It is possible to make all formatting in MS Word but it is not handy at all. If it is possible in TagEditor why it is impossible to implement in MemoQ.

Because MemoQ will not open Word DOCs as a tagged document as it happens in TagEditor. In TagEditor, all formats (font, size, bold, Italics...) are seen as tags, so you can in theory fiddle around with the tags as in your case. MemoQ simplifies your view of a Word document by hiding the font tags from you and using visual mode for the simple tags (bold, Italics, underline), thus reducing the number of tags you must work around in your translation.

Now, if this is really critical I suggest that you open your DOCs in TagEditor, save them as TTX, presegment them with Trados and then translate them in MemoQ. This way you will still see a ton of tags as in TagEditor, but at least you will benefit from MemoQ's advantages overall.

I insist in saying that maybe I am giving you an incorrect solution here. What you require could be possible in MemoQ, but I don't know how you could do it.

Pavel Nikonorkin
Russian Federation
Member (2007)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
It is not really crucial and just the matter of usability Aug 22, 2010

This way you will still see a ton of tags as in TagEditor, but at least you will benefit from MemoQ's advantages overall.

No, thank you! I do not want to see tons of tags. I like working in MemoQ but it needs some improvement as any software.

[Edited at 2010-08-22 19:08 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Sorry for a mistake... but basically, I was right :) Aug 23, 2010

Pavel Nikonorkin wrote:

This way you will still see a ton of tags as in TagEditor, but at least you will benefit from MemoQ's advantages overall.

No, thank you! I do not want to see tons of tags. I like working in MemoQ but it needs some improvement as any software.

Sorry, yesterday, I read your post too fast, I didn't realize it's related to DOC.
If you use the default RTF/DOC format, it's impossible.
If you import the file as DOCX, you have tags and you can tweak MQ a little bit.
As the subscript/superscript are not represented directly, you can use rpr tags, if already used in the document.
Although you can use the Insert new inline tag feature as above, the easiest way is to copy the tags corresponding to subscript/superscript from another segment.
If you have no subscript/superscript in your text, you can always add a fake sentence like "H20 X2." with proper subscript/superscript tags at the end and reuse 'em.

I agree, it should be improved

Cheers
GG

Mariana Campos
Mariana Campos  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:15
English to Portuguese
Need to include superscript too Nov 26, 2010

I have come to need this now and it seems it's still impossible? (I use 4.2 and the file is a PDF) ...

Pzit (X)
Pzit (X)
English to Italian
Same need here! Jan 8, 2011

I have the same need here: my current work is on a scruffy source doc full of H2O, CO2, H2N etc. While I can replace the formatting in Word once translation is finished, it would definitely be handier if I could populate my TMs with the proper superscript/subscript text. A dedicated command next to the existing ones for Bold, Italics and Underline would be much appreciated!

Translation-Pro
Translation-Pro  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Use your keyboard Jan 10, 2011

Stefano Armanini wrote:

I have the same need here: my current work is on a scruffy source doc full of H2O, CO2, H2N etc. While I can replace the formatting in Word once translation is finished, it would definitely be handier if I could populate my TMs with the proper superscript/subscript text. A dedicated command next to the existing ones for Bold, Italics and Underline would be much appreciated!

Hi,

Try this:

m2 = m+Strg+Alt+2

cm3 = cm+Strg+Alt+3

Francoise Perigaut
Francoise Perigaut
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Is it possible now? Nov 15, 2011

I badly miss this too when I work in MemoQ, is it possible now with the new version?
I have 5.0.54.
(I need it all the time in French for things like "1er", "XXe siècle", "no", "Dr", "Cie" etc.)

TvNellen (X)
TvNellen (X)
United States
Local time: 21:15
English to Dutch
+ ...
Thanks! Sep 2, 2012

Translation-Pro wrote:

Hi,

Try this:

m2 = m+Strg+Alt+2

cm3 = cm+Strg+Alt+3

That works! For those who don't use a German keyboard it might be useful to add that Strg is Ctrl.

Yuki Okada
Yuki Okada  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:15
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Use Insert symbol May 22, 2013

If it is superscripting 2 or 3, then you can use Insert symbol.

Edit -> Insert symbol

Scroll down to find 2 or 3, and then Insert.

Edward Dormandy

Maarten Fortuin
Maarten Fortuin  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Failed workaround Jul 10, 2013

Previous comments were mainly on memoQ 5.
I'm working in memoQ 6 and was pretty surprised that it's still not possible. So I tried a workaround.

In this case, I need superscript simply for the much used Dutch ordinal "e" (1e, 2e, etc.). Although I don't have a lot of these in the text, I was just curious if it would be possible.

However, the workaround proved not be practicable.

I simply typed "2e" in a new Word document. Word automatically changed
... See more
Previous comments were mainly on memoQ 5.
I'm working in memoQ 6 and was pretty surprised that it's still not possible. So I tried a workaround.

In this case, I need superscript simply for the much used Dutch ordinal "e" (1e, 2e, etc.). Although I don't have a lot of these in the text, I was just curious if it would be possible.

However, the workaround proved not be practicable.

I simply typed "2e" in a new Word document. Word automatically changed the "e" to superscript. Then I imported the Word doc into memoQ, in order to copy-paste the inline tags into the translation I'm currently working on.
(First I made the mistake of importing docx, while the translation I'm working on is doc. The inline tags for superscript that memoQ applies for the two different formats, are not interchangeable.)

The copy-pasting went well and that would have been the end of that, if it hadn't been for memoQ's strict adherence to QA. The translation could not be exported because there were too many tags in the target segment(s) concerned.
Unfortunately, the QA message could not be ignored, so exporting the translation was impossible.

I'm a great fan of memoQ because of it's versatility, but something as basic as this should have been resolved ages ago!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subscript and superscript in MemoQ

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »